SlotForum banner
101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
18k? Ah yes.
I can get it to rev to 25k at 22V.
All I can say is I try to use the same terminology as everyone else.
If I walk into ArmchairRacer and ask for a replacement NSR Shark 24 he just reaches for it and passes to me. I prefer my method. 😊

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Hello, after a day and long evening of fixing and testing I can conclude the following:

Car 3. Fly Porsche now fitted with 6 hole ferrite. Result after 200 laps: zero issues.

Car 4, the Slot.it mclaren, first picture is how the car was: no caps no ferrites.
Today I fitted the car with caps and the 6 hole ferrite, see the second picture.
Result after 200 laps: zero issues.

I can safely say the cars run well now, no more throttle freeze at LB0, no more dead stops on flippers and zero missed laps.
Hard to say what fix does what, but I think the firmware upgrade cured the Throttle freeze issue.
The slot It car shows how a problematic car can run issue free after installing the 4 caps and 6 hole ferrite on the motor side (plus classic ferrite man on the track side of the chip).

Tired but happy!

As a bonus a short video of the first test race, where I ran the slot it McLaren as fifth ghost car on ID 6 and the Fly Porsche driven by me.

Merc

Attachments

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Merc,
Great.
A combination of firmware and hardware all fixed in 3 days. Subject to further testing of course.
Can we get the Wurth part number please?

Regardless Ive asked John to look at the code for the car stopping after dead flippers.

Rick

·
Greg Gaub
15,084 Posts
Wow.

I'm curious, since the new ferrite seemed to make the difference, if you can now get rid of all those caps and have the same performance. Simplifying the install of the chip can only be a good thing. Also, I recall that the best practice for chip installation was twisting the pairs of wires for everything, both from the guide and to the motor. Maybe that can play a role in noise reduction?

·
ParrotGod
8,391 Posts
I am happy for you Merc. I echo MrFlippant's suggestion on checking if removing the other caps and leaving only the 6 hole ferrite cure all the issues.

When the mclaren had not caps and no ferrite did you install the new firmware?

Anyway, good that you are getting zero issue now. The next step will be to test these cars with real drivers.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
They are the first batch of chips since 2012 Merc I can tell by the green power wires.
How many have you got and how many have blown?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yes, the Slot it McLaren is a good example: first it ran quite badly, and with this car I first did the firmware upgrade - so still without caps and ferrites. After that it still showed dead stops on flippers but zero shoot offs.
Now after the firmware upgrade, installing the caps and 6 hole ferrite it runs totally issue free. This morning I raced it (so no pacing but hard racing, lane changing etc.) and it made 100 error free laps again.

I have another Slot it car that has issues. That car has the Scalextric style ferrite man installed. I did the firmware upgrade and there's no more shoot offs, bud dead stops still occur, however not so often as the untreated Slot it had it.
I can have a go with that one by not capping it but doing only the 6 hole ferrite as a try.

I also have an old uncapped Proteus Lambo which I can experiment with.

I also noted with the slot it cars that the incidental dead stops did occur on more than one LC, however the Ninco CLC and the Scalextric SLC triggered the most dead stops. So there's something in there too.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Ok, update report!

The test cars:
First picture shows the slot.it car with Scalextric style caps/ferrites, firmware upgrade and the 6 hole ferrite.
Result: in 200 laps 1 dead stop after passing a LC. Zero missed laps, zero throttle freeze.
So... quite good! The car was worse before. Still I reckon placing the 3 extra caps carrera style will make this car error free like the NSR Porsches.

The NSR Porsches btw serve as ghost cars, theyve done way over 600 laps now with zero issues.

Second picture shows the proteus Lambo with 18K mabuchi motor.
First I ran this car without caps and without the 6 hole ferrite but with the firmware upgrade. That resulted in a dead stop on the very first lap. And about every 5th lap after that.
After that I did the 6 hole ferrite install (without caps and with the firmware upgrade already done).
Result after 25 laps: two shootoffs and two dead stops after passing a LC.

So, conclusion of today: the 6 hole ferrite alone wont do it. Caps are needed.
My last attempt will be installing caps in this bad car and see how it improves.

Oh and the Wurth 6 hole ferrite is the one Ade tested. In this thread
Rick made a post with links to suppliers on different continents. I got mine from RS Netherlands, 50 eurocent per prewired ferrite.

Merc

Attachments

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
They are the first batch of chips since 2012 Merc I can tell by the green power wires.
How many have you got and how many have blown?
Well Rick, from memory id say I got 40 car chips from the very first batch (green wires and blue antenna). In the past 8 years Ive fried a few car chips myself, mostly when a bare motor can under the car touched the rails - fleischmann track rails are not flush with the surface.
But no chip ever blew by itself or stopped working without explanation.
When flashing the chip to a newer firmware, one out of those first 40 batch refused to flash. I remember I sent that one chip back to you for inspection - that was in 2014 or so. I sent along one lane brain with the same issue - I think both you and me forgot about that one :)
After that I got about 40 more chips (yellow wire, black antenna) and in the swap shop here on SF I bought 10 more chips second hand from a member in Spain. Out of that batch one chip did not work. Nothing blown or fried but simply dead - I reckon a loose solder joint or so.

I still have around 20 unused chips in a box, of which 10 from the 2012 batch.
I flashed all of them to V8.1 over a year ago, to see if they worked properly.

Merc

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Some premature conclusions:

1. First step is to install the latest car chip firmware.
Almost all my cars run fine on V8.1
The latest cars I tested (NSR and Slot.it) received a newer firmware version which seems to cure the throttle freeze glitch
(However, the uncapped yet firmware upgraded Proteus Lambo did show throttle freeze on two instances).

2 standard way to chip a car and to have good comms is to install Scalextric style ferrite men track and motor side. Most cars (like without exception all my Scalextric and SCX cars) work fine and without any issues that way.

3 if after that install the car does show issues, the most probable culprit is the motor noise. To tackle that, I can confirm Ade his findings: install 3 extra caps on the motor, carrera style.

4 if after that install the car still has issues left, you can install the Wurth 6 hole ferrite on the motor side of the chip.

So far most of my cars run perfectly on treatment 2 (all my Scalextric and SCX cars for instance)

Some of my cars have received treatment 1, 2 and 3 and run error free now.

A few cars needed treatment 1, 2, 3 and 4 and run error free now.

Plans for testing:
My idea is to take a brand new NSR car and follow these steps one by one and test them on every step.
To do it wisely I should take identical cars and follow the steps in a different order. For car A step order 1, 2, 3, 4 and for car B step order 2, 3, 4, 1
The step order 2, 3, 1, 4 I have performed on my NSR Porsches (of which two only received step 2, 3, 1 and ran error free from then on)

Ok Im rambling, bedtime :)

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
There is a story going around that after Ade published his findings here, on this august organ of digital knowledge, that showed how good the 6-hole ferrite core was at interference suppression that the world's supply was mysteriously bought up to prevent Scorpius users from acquiring them ........
ohmy.png

Surely, that can not be true .......... ??

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Yeah ...... but this was about two or three years ago ........ ;)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I spent a day with Ade working on this yesterday and the transformation of a complete mutt of a car from one that would not run more than two laps without issue, to one that could race all day without fault was very satisfying.

A Flat-6 and and an Orange Bell-End motors were the recipients of these toroidal devices. They ran so smoothly that you could drive over a flipper with the trigger at the absolute minimum and not get stuck. Instead of hearing the whine of the motor, you could hear the tyres clawing at the track for adhesion as the back wheels juddered around tight corners; corners that really should have been taken more slowly and smoothly.

This is now on a new level .......... something that we intend to demonstrate at Gaydon .......
dribble.gif
I can second that finding... the NSRs and Slot.it cars run smooth as a feather, I can drive them ultra slow if I wish to, perfect throttle control!

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Sadly these days, there is too much theoretical stuff being spouted ...... let's get back to the fun times where we tried things out and found what really worked and what didn't. If nothing else it was a great way to have a bit of fun and learn loads with your mates ......
smile.png

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Today, whilst waiting for my daughter to introduce her daughter to the world, my grandson (2.5yrs) insisted we got the scary-lectric out. We were running two Scalextric trucks on a small oval with an Arc-Air powerbase and .......... for the very first time he managed to do several laps without de-slotting. He was so excited that he couldn't sit still. Every time he came back, he achieved more and more laps .......... it seemed to get quite dusty in my lounge which made it hard to see at times ...

101 - 120 of 147 Posts