SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
redstar
1,576 Posts
Hi,
Heres some 24 photos (in order of the date they were made) from my slot car museum showing in order the evolution of slot & rail car history. On some of these cars the year of origin could be off a year. Some of these car are very rare, some not. I think this will show to some degree the rich & almost unknown history of our hobby.
1-USA-1912-15 Lionel Stuz
2-USA-1929 Kokomo
3-USA-1930-Kokomo
4-USA-1931 Kokomo truck
5-UK-1930 Kennedy home track
UK-1932 Kennedy commercial pay track
6-France-1933 Arcade racer
7-Germany-1934 Marklin Alfa Romeo
8-France-1937 LR, 1st version Salmson
9-Germany-1937 Tippco Alder
10-USA-1937 Marx
11-Germany-1937 Tippco truck
12-France-1938 2nd version LR Salmson
13-UK-1946-47 Riches ERA
14-Italy-1947 Safar
15-Italy-1947 Sila Studebaker
16-France-1947 Paruna
17-Italy-1948 Rivarossi
18-Italy- 1948 Conti
19-Netherlands-1948-52 custom display track car
20-Italy-1952 Alcyon Alfa Romeo
21-Germany-1953 Bub
22-UK-1955 MRRC gas powered rail car
23-UK-1956 VIP factory custom slotless Triumph TR2
24-UK-1956 VIP Roadedge MGA

Hope you enjoy,
Bernard.

·
Administrator
9,654 Posts
Fabulous Bernard!

A very telling story, especially for all those hack journlalists who think slot racing sprang out of the United States in the 40s or 50s...

I'm trying to find a trend from seeing all these ancestors at once, but the only thing that really springs to mind is a theory I've already seen: that it was the advent of cheap plastics that really enabled slot racing to grow into a viable commercial activity!

Since you're in close contact with these jewels, do you have any theory of your own about why it never really developed till mid- or late 50s? and didn't take off till the 60s?

After all, the basic technology was around since pretty much the beginning of real auto racing at the turn of the century...

Don

·
redstar
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Don,i dont think it was because of the metal vs plastic bodies. The 1st Scalextric cars were metal bodied & sold like crazy. Perhaps the 1930s depression ,world war 2,& proverty & reconstruction after the war keep demand

& production down until around 1957 when the world was beginning to recover. Even the sets made right after the war & before Scalextric were made in very small numbers & some produced for only 1 year because they couldnt sell. Its true some of the sets were 1 car only,but other sets had 2 cars with controllers for each car. I think the price compared to the number of people who could afford it is the main cause .If the sets had been made of plastic instead of tin the cost would still have limited the numbers sold because there was too small of a middle class during these years to afford the sets.So only the small numbers wealthy families could purchase the electric car sets. Well this is my theory.Thanks,Bernard

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Hi Sampson, marvellous, and very interesting.

Thank you for posting these photos, how else would we be able to see such things.

I am quite sure that a lot more people find these fascinating than are posting comments, I reckon most wont know what to say.

Thanks again.

vbr Chris A.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Astonishing!

I for one always look forward to Sampson's posts, so so interesting and the pictures so very impressive.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
Bernard,
Very nice! Now to find a Brianne sedan, a 1908 Marklin, a 1936 Cullen and unlock the Woodland Maserati from where it is...

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
hi phillippe
i know exactly where the woodland maserati is
former slot car author roger greenslade has it
whether any one can prize it off him is another matter,i believe he has already rejected 800 pounds

cheers tony
ps i am still about halfway through a replica of that car

1 - 9 of 9 Posts