SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first attempt of routing my own track. Of course I wanted it to be bigger, but my wife went all pale with my first plan, so I made a small track. Because of this I named it Excerpt Raceway, because it is a piece of what would have been my first track.
Track is routed and painted and I have started to make some attempts of scenery. A lot of work left, but it is fully working as it is now.

First parts of scenery.. a little blurred..

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
nice...I have a similar track design..check my gallery. Nice curbs in pic7..cork?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I noticed you used the lexan strip and in one pic the router base from oldslotracer.com

I have ordered these, but wondered if you could comment on how you found them. Are they easy to use, and give the correct lane spacing when doing the routing?

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
With wives, you start slowly and hope they warm up to it. I found that my wife really got into the track when I started doing some scenery for it (well, ok, a lot of scenery). Then I got the okay to do a much bigger scenic track (and so on). I haven't mentioned the really large layout to her yet -- I figure I'll break her in in stages (4X8 then 6X12 then 8X16 until eventually the house is just one large slot car course).

BTW, that's a very nice first track!
Great curbs, how did you do those?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (nitro @ 15 May 2006, 15:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>nice...I have a similar track design..check my gallery. Nice curbs in pic7..cork?

Nope it isn't cork. It is a piece of particleboard that was just lying around. I jigsawed it first and then routed it with a 9.5mm bit. Drew the stripes with a pen after I'd painted it gray. Then some PVA glue on top and sprinkled it with coloured sawdust to get the grass.

QUOTE (Chorlton @ 15 May 2006, 15:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I noticed you used the lexan strip and in one pic the router base from oldslotracer.com

I have ordered these, but wondered if you could comment on how you found them. Are they easy to use, and give the correct lane spacing when doing the routing?

They were very nice to use. Linespacing is perfect, if you make the baseplate completely center when you attach it to your router. For the lexanstrip I just can say, simple but excellent help for making a track.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Really nice work Roland and I gather that you enjoy driving it also!
I just hope that mine will be as good as this.

Neat idea with the curbs made from particle board. Now why didn't I think of that ... (no comments please
) Hmmm, maybe I will borrow the idea if you don't mind.

Kind regards,

Claes

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Progress is slow, but If I didn't testdrive so much I might get something done around here... I am making the contour of the mountainside and this weekend I will fix the surface and then....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (dil @ 18 May 2006, 17:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>a lil question for a noob

how do you guys take the copper tape around the corners, what do you do about the bending, i suppose
u just flatten it out???

I am a n00b too... but I apply the copper tape to the outside of the bend first, which leaves small crinkles on the inside that you can hardly feel with your fingertip.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Weekend has been busy for me so very little progress was made. This is what I've accomplished. A little plastering but not much else... Good thing about slow progressing is my brain keep up with the work.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Testing some stuff for the scenery. I have been looking at some shots from the early 70's that fits this track.. trees and bushes are coming next. I also have to fix the middlesection and some more stuff before manic detailing starts.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Hi DagaZ ..

It´s just looking great, I think. And also a bit amazing how you managed to put a deacent length of track on such a small area and still get room for scenics and pits! It´s all down to details now, huh? .. Be sure to take looots of pictures, please!

Makes me wonder .. If I made a "copy" of your track, could I hang it on my kitchen wall .. hmmm ..
Time for a late lunchbreak with a ruler ..

-( R )-

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been doing a lot of gardening lately so my track has been on hold, but I have painted some and fixed a little more grass and moss. Here are some flicks of the progress. I will redraw the white lines later.

I just knew it!! The Ferrari sqeezed past the Porsche in that corner...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did my first real testdrive with two cars today and it didn't go well.
I connected the track using this schematics but I only get one track to work correctly. If I switch the wires under the track so that track1 becomes track2 it is still the same trouble except now track2 works correctly and track1 gets very little power.
I have checked all the wires and soldering so I know I have contact from point to point.

Any clues on this?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.