SlotForum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
There may be some confusion here.
Well there IS, because I am slightly confused at least!

There were TWO OWH sites - the old one, clearly the one that is being referred to by those who thought it looked AWFUL - and it did! But a new OWH board was instituted roughly 3 years ago and it had a similar presentation style to several other boards, much more up to date and not hugely different from those we know and possibly even love today. All new intercourse was continued on the new site, but the old one, was left to stagnate and gradually became infested with pop ups and allegedly intrusive trojans and godnose what-all but still remained full of extremely interesting and useful information (along with a lot of twaddle of course, including my own earliest slot-related posts!)
Definitely worth preserving the good stuff, definitely.

Incidentally
QUOTE No little or large animals were maimed during the discussion. No exchange of oil for food vouchers took place. It did not involve any Russian prostitutes, corrupted UN workers or the death of Christmas in civilized countries.
At least two of those would have been welcome, surely!

You must be mellowing then, P

·
Lenny Broke
318 Posts
Morning All
Just went for a look over at OWH and the web page and board are back online again.
I was sad to here that it dissappeared for a while there.

When i got online for the first time some years back and typed 'slot cars in to a search engine the hearald was one of the first ones I found and it inspired me to come back to slot cars.
Whoever was responsible for saving OWH i say thanks
Cheers LB

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (Wankel Ickx @ 20 Dec 2004, 21:28)I mean, I don't remember (and probably didn't scratch beyond the surface, anyhoo) that it was a ginormous site - did it need expensive hosting?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OWH had some fairly gargantuan photo galleries of Wing Car meets and I imagine the bandwidth they consumed was quite large. Admittedly 95% of the pics were of people I don't know sitting behind their slot boxes or mumming for the camera while marshalling...

Coop

·
Premium Member
5,196 Posts
QUOTE You must be mellowing then, P

Moi? Never! (like if I have a choice...)

The Dok is: IN

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
OWH used to be a great board.

I frequently posted in the 1/32nd scale forum. Two things happened; One, a vile mouthed lout by the name of Bruce Welcker could not post without bad mouthing all and sundry nor without including obscene expletives, eventually driving away most of the 1/32nd scale enthusiasts; Two, Alan Smith, who then ran Scalextric-USA, influenced Paul Kassens to forbid reference or links to non-US based retailers. That was the final death knell for the 1/32nd scale forum.

The "main" board is worth visiting if you want to read birthday greetings..... I still visit the "Vintage" forum from time to time. It has interesting information for anyone interested in the early days, especially the early "Pro" racing period.

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
QUOTE Two, Alan Smith, who then ran Scalextric-USA, influenced Paul Kassens to forbid reference or links to non-US based retailers

That's the reason I stopped going to the SCI board

21 - 27 of 27 Posts