SlotForum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Alexis Gaitanis
2,398 Posts
Have you ever filed the guide too much?And then the car starts to deslot?Well,dodnt throw it a way there is way to salvage it.

First you heat 2 metttall pins

Then stuff them to the guide blade

wait a couple of minutes until the plastic solidifies again.

Then cut the excess length and stick your favorite adhesive(i use masking) tape to one side of the blade.

Fill with epoxy(i use Bisons slow setting-12 hours- epoxy metall which contains metall grain to reduce wear)

Then wrap the tape around the blade

You let the epoxy set and after some sanding/filing your end product should look like this

A tip,allways add more depth than your estimated requirement it is easy to cut down but not to add up again

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
That seems an awful lot of effort to save a few Euros.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Nice one Alexis.

I do something similar myself.

Its not the saving of a few euros that matters.

Its the satisfaction of having thought about the problem, devising a solution and then carrying that through into practice that matters.

I love stuff like this!

Keep them coming.

·
Alexis Gaitanis
2,398 Posts
QUOTE (pressbutton @ 5 Oct 2012, 10:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That seems an awful lot of effort to save a few Euros.
As you can see from the photo time stamps it is less than 15 min and its a solution when you need that guide and there is no shop around.And i hate to bin things that are reusable recycling is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Nice tip.

I usually cut blister packaging material to size (Ninco spares clamshell packaging is ideal), typically the depth of a Slot.It guide and twice as long and fold it around the leading edge of the guide. Cross-hatch the guide and the inside of the fold and superglue in place, hold together with pliers until set. I leave the "trailing" ends of the new material unglued (so that it has two flexible "tails" following it) which seems to help it stay in the slot and resist binding in tight corners.

Your approach would seem to avoid the problem of widening the guide which is sometimes an issue where the slot in the track hasn't been cut very wide.

Coop

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,617 Posts
QUOTE (alexis in greece @ 5 Oct 2012, 08:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As you can see from the photo time stamps it is less than 15 min and its a solution when you need that guide and there is no shop around.And I hate to bin things that are reusable recycling is the way to go.
...plus half a day for the slow setting-12 hours- epoxy to cure

·
re member
4,020 Posts
I like your way of doing it Coopdevil.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
their both neat solutions to a problem you need sorting quickly. I think I,ll try coop,s on an old blade. Alexis is more permanent. Kevan you can get 5 minute epoxy. John

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
QUOTE I can't seem to see the pics of the original post...
That is because this post is so old the links/photos have long gone.

·
Rich Dumas
3,547 Posts
I often use Slot.it wood track guides and those need to be shortened. The guides are a little pricey and I would hate to spoil one. It makes more sense to avoid shortening the guide too much to start with that to add more material to one that has been shortened too much. It would not be too difficult to make a jig for sanding down the guide that is foolproof.

·
Alexis Gaitanis
2,398 Posts
I managed to locate the photos so I repeat the initial post
Have you ever filed the guide too much?And then the car starts to deslot?Well,dont throw it a way there is way to salvage it.

First you heat 2 metal pins
]

Then stuff them to the guide blade at an angle

Then cut the excess length and stick your favorite adhesive(I use masking) tape to one side of the blade.

Fill with epoxy(I use Bisons slow setting-12 hours- epoxy metall which contains metall grain to reduce wear)

Then wrap the tape around the blade

You let the epoxy set and after some sanding/filing your end product should look like this

A tip,always add more depth than your estimated requirement it is easy to cut down but not to add up again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts