*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Alan Wilkinson
1,112 Posts
Formula 1 2021 announcements

Positives:
That these directions have been endorsed by all of the teams. (against the odds)
Good riddance to the nastiest quick-fix ever, DRS
Aero alignment to prevent cars creating turbulent wake (better wheel to wheel racing and fewer rear ended impacts into corners)
Some Common components to a fixed specification. Therefore less development cost.

Negatives:
Heavier cars: deadening acceleration, less opportunity for late braking overtake manoeuvres.
The end of uninimity on mid season changes.
- The era of loophole identification&exploitation are gone. (This is my kick in F1 , that "never saw that coming did they?" moment)
More reliance on ground effects could lead to manholes being sucked up, creating a potentially fatal incident.
The cars will look more "vanilla" than ever, all the same apart from the liveries.
Gone will be the days of f1 commentators waxing lyrical about strakes, intakes and monkeys seats!
Everyone is being tight lipped about Ferraris special status (vetos etc)

The jury is out:
Whether "financial fair play" will really work in F1 is still to be seen.
The 2021 budget cap is above 7 of the current team budgets.
Will F1 descend into a battle of Accountants?
Which team will have the EU anti trust lawyers banging on their doors first demanding documents?

Who are going to be the winners? Ferrari!
The heavier cars deaden the better handling other teams seem to have but will not deaden any of the top speed that Ferrari are currently showing. 2021 will be ALL about engines...

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Look at TV viewing figures; they're dropping year after year. Fewer and fewer are interested. F1 new regs? Few care.

Look at the response to this thread...

I'll be amazed and startled if F1 exists after 2025. A terrible loss to all of us, but F1 has only got itself to blame.

Every circus has its day. Clowns were once funny; Jack Dee took their place years ago.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Trisha you have got it in one , i even forgot the Brazilian GP was one nothing to remind me , and as i don't have sky i really don't care about F1 anymore, and FI only has it's self to blame for all the woe's it,s in .

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Peter Gunn - you missed a good one in Brazil. Radio 5 Live is surprisingly gripping! Got more out of the radio than the lame 'highlights' the next day on channel 4 because of the awful TV presenters.

·
Autoavia
1,024 Posts
The reason F1 viewing figures are dropping is because there are a lot of us who are not prepared to pay to view F1 and a majority of the racing over the past few years has been pretty mediocre which gives even less incentive to put my hand in my pocket for pay to view.

If a majority of one generation loose interest because of pay to view they won't be passing any enthusiasm on to the next generation so, at least within Europe, F1 will be left with a shrinking spectator base.

At present F1 is fortunate enough to have a clutch of new countries who are prepared to pay for the "prestige" of hosting a F1 race but once some of these countries tire of the ever increasing cost of bringing the F1 circus to town will there be others to replace them?

·
Alan Wilkinson
1,112 Posts
The reason F1 viewing figures are dropping is because there are a lot of us who are not prepared to pay to view F1 and a majority of the racing over the past few years has been pretty mediocre which gives even less incentive to put my hand in my pocket for pay to view.
Agreed...
I wouldn't pay a sky sports subscription just to get the SkySportsF1 channel.
I saw that, this year, Sky separated the channel so that it was possible to buy F1 without paying for ball games.
If figures are still dropping, that's the writing on the wall.

I got my skyF1 free when I bought into the skyHD upgrade and have had it free ever since.
Sky re-invigorated my interest in F1 which I'd totally lost during the Schumacher years.

The technical insight at the birth and early evolution of the hybrid era was really interesting.

Today, Sky sports F1 is just too jam packed with talking heads and reruns.

Apart from the race, "Ted's notebook" was really worth watching but his waxing lyrical about car design, rules and politics (which I loved) has been replaced by random nonesense as he walks around the paddock (post race) bumping into people that we don't know and don't care about.

Alan

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I agree with Gary. F1 is too big to fail - the owners and the FIA will steer it through whatever changes/evolution is required for it to remain the world's premier formula.

David

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
I agree that F1 is to big to fail and will survive in one form or another but maybe not so for all the teams. I think at some point F1 will have to find a different way to support the smaller teams.

WIll Renault stay much longer and if they leave the continue with engine development?

Will Liberty at some point switch to the more normal American sports approach which tries to get all teams equal such as the draft system in American Football with the worst teams getting first choice of players.

The cost cap is one step towards this, standardising of designs and parts is another. I can see tyre choice being reduced at some point.

Personally I would like to see a lot of the rule relaxed a bit so that the teams can innovate then if one of the smaller teams find a better way, like Braun / Honda, we will get some interesting results. Can't see it happening though.

·
Slot King
2,662 Posts
No income until May, is it the beginning of the end, will they run out of cash?

How many teams and how many sponsors will run out of cash?

Nobody is too big to fail, Kodak went bust.

This is what has happened to the share price so far.
Rectangle Azure Font Slope Parallel

Joel

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts