SlotForum banner
2001 - 2020 of 2032 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
After the dust has settled ( literaly ) at Monza what did i take from the race, firstly Danny Ric has always been a good driver , so far this year he has not been at his best , number of reasons possibly some we may never know, but what a smooth proffesional performance , got the job done at the start and from then on that car looked like it was on rails .
Lando Norris what a class act , again what a smooth car most of the time looks comfortable and towards the end when Mclaren wanted them to push on went with Danny.
Mclaren did a number on all the teams yesterday and boy did they deserve that 1-2 and certainly know how to enjoy the sucess.
Bottas i thought he did well from the back to be up to 4th place and in the end 3rd on the podium think he had a point to make to the team, the Ferraris were not that far of , have a good pairing there and with a more powerful motor will be right up there.
Perez now i quite like Perez but recently he seems to be all over the place performance wise and i cannot work out why , not sure if he will survive long term at Red Bull.
Now the brats both Max and Lewis are world class drivers , Max had got rid of the Mad Max image to a fair degree but this year it is back, i cannot understand for the life of me why when your leading the championship you act like a plonker all he had to do was follow Lewis through the corner and had plenty of laps to take him on.
Lewis is not the driver he was not sure if Covid affected him or he's just getting older, or has to many other interests , also the car is of this season to what he's used to and he has been so used to being way out front every race to be in the pack does not suit that car at all.
Finally Toto and Horner perhaps a lot less verbals and do it on the track gentlemen let the racing do the talking, Horner's always been mouthy from way back , and i fear Toto will get dragged into a slagging match, so bosses zip the gobs.
And please can we just have some respect back , to see Max just turn his back on Lewis with his car parked on top of him without just checking is the worst bit of sportsmanship i,ve seen in a while.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I would have expected Max to at least check if Lewis was ok before walking away, not just poor sportsmanship but disgusting behaviour as he knew his car was on top of the Merc with its driver still in it. A drivers safety and health is more important than the championship.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
And please can we just have some respect back , to see Max just turn his back on Lewis with his car parked on top of him without just checking is the worst bit of sportsmanship i,ve seen in a while.
I agree in principle and thought the same thing but he did look over at him and Lewis gunned the engine and spun the wheels so i presume Max thought he was OK and walked away...

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I do beleive that in recent years with a lot of the circuits being so much safer , a lot of drivers are taking chances, chances that they would not have done in times gone by.
The cars are also a lot safer, just look at the amount of drivers killed during the 60,s some by the car , some by the circuit , we all know about the famous one's but there were so many more in other forms of motor racing .
There was a lot of moaning about the halo , but it has shown it,s worth , just taking what happened at Monza if there had not have been a halo a racing car falling on the head of a driver his helmet would not have saved him nothing would .
Having looked at the footage many times seen it from all angles , i think the initial response from Lewis was to try to get his car out as at that time the rear wheel was on the halo and he could not get out, the momenton of that manouver meant that Max's car actually moved slightly forward on top therefore allowing Lewis to get out.
It still does not take away from the fact Max just left him without checking all was ok, i have responded many times when witnessing a accident , although i,m not involved my first instict is to check all is ok before i walk or drive away, surely as human beings we owe it to each other to actually care about others..

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Max knew Lewis was ok. He saw him trying to get his car out from under by sawing at the steering and spinning the wheels. The matter was covered in the BBC podcast after they had time to digest the tv coverage. These things get whipped up by the media. Whatever is said, there will be great mutual respect between the two drivers, and concern for each other's safety. They may be at war in a sporting sense but they are not actually trying to kill each other. Both know that they are in show business, and both know the dangerous game they play, and respect each other for it.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,883 Posts
Lewis has spent most of his F1 career avoiding trouble and that's one of the reasons he's won more races than any other...Max is the antithesis of this, at times driving like a numpty, he can be one of the greatest ever but he's got to give his head a good wobble as he's still at the 'win it in the first corner' stage. Being faster than the rest doesn't make him the complete driver.

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,008 ·
We all know why the sausage kerbs are there but it's not the first time they have caused problems. While they might be fine for other forms of motor sport how many times have we seen the open wheel cars, of any formula, don't like to make wheel contact when the wheel is of the ground. Another solution needs to be found that keeps the car on the ground which is why I made my comments about sensors and penalties above.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We all know why the sausage kerbs are there but it's not the first time they have caused problems. While they might be fine for other forms of motor sport how many times have we seen the open wheel cars, of any formula, don't like to make wheel contact when the wheel is of the ground. Another solution needs to be found that keeps the car on the ground which is why I made my comments about sensors and penalties above.
Maybe we as Slot enthusiasts have the answer and the solution to the problem is staring us square in the face.

All we have to do is form a company "ACME F1 Slot Conversions", and we could cash in by offering to rout slots in all the current F1 tracks, including changeover/passing lanes, and fit large magnets to all the F1 cars!!

At least if it rains (like at Spa) and the drivers don't want to drive in the cars, the race can still go ahead, driverless, but operated from the pitlane. and the paying public/TV viewers still get a show.

It may just work.

·
Premium Member
5,558 Posts
The DTM are ahead of you, Zippy. Only yesterday I watched a YouTube video of a chap 'driving' an electric car round the Red Bull Ring whilst not actually sitting in it.

I shook my head in utter disbelief.

I could look for the link but can't muster the enthusiasm to bother.

Can't even be arsed to put an ironic emoji in.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The DTM are ahead of you, Zippy. Only yesterday I watched a YouTube video of a chap 'driving' an electric car round the Red Bull Ring whilst not actually sitting in it.
Even as someone who loves electric racing I can't really see the point of this,.... Formula E has tried Robo Racing and it simply doesn't work...
BTW: DTM has essentially become a GT3 race these days so just go to one of those... nothing to see here...

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
Good to know that Seb is being retained by Aston next year.
Yes indeed, in his early days, I was unsure about his attitude to Mark Webber, but Seb has matured into a very decent human being, I really like the man.

Reactions: HiFi and Trisha

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Sprint qualifying. Has it improved F1? Too soon to tell? More likely to hold the attention of youngsters?

A processional silly gimmick or another race to which you look forward?

"A tough one, Jeeves."

"Indeed, Sir."

·
Registered
618 Posts
A processional gimmick is my verdict but I’m sure it will continue to be employed.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,883 Posts
Some tracks would benefit from a little extra, Monaco being obvious as the racing is non existant.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Ah, Monaco, the eternal enigma. A simple illustration below of one of the problems associated with running F1 cars around the Principality today.

It seems that size really does matter.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Product

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,883 Posts
There's a Mercedes spoiling those pics 🙄

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Whilst drinking far too much tea this morning, I reflected on the ever-changing face of Eff 1. Being old and decrepit I still think of Monza as the end of the season, but there are still eight races to go.

In years gone by there were only eight races in total that counted towards the entire Championship, and when the Italian GP was over, we looked forward to the once-great RAC Rally and similar events throughout winter.

All different nowadays but I don't know if it's better. Sochi this weekend. A GP in Russia where the 'local hero' will rise to the back of the grid yet again. Can't imagine Rob Walker employing Marzipan years ago, but that's probably just one reason why I'm grateful for having experienced different times of yesteryear.

Sochi! The battle at the front is heating up, and I can hardly wait for the red lights to change to green - yet again.

2001 - 2020 of 2032 Posts