SlotForum banner
2221 - 2240 of 2275 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
There is footage from the cockpit camera of Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes that appear to show that Hamilton is pushing and pulling the steering as if operating the outlawed DAS system. Mercedes are saying that the steering column is old and has wear in it……!

·
Registered
543 Posts
That's the theory anyway, but some tracks don't get used a lot or as In this case have a very short run to the first corner. I think the pole sitter should be given a choice and if need be the race should start one position back from the start line. I've never seen the point of a pole that doesn't give the pole sitter the advantage. Two race starts and two poles losing out this weekend. I think before todays race Redbull were probably happy with 2nd and 4th.
Well, to be honest, I have asked myself the same question you did many years ago, but when it was explained some time on telly, I just let it rest. There's not much we can do about it anyway.
Makes sense, though, letting the polesitter make that choice. Lol, thinking about Mexico, the polesitter next year might even choose to start from third position 😎

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,224 ·
There is footage from the cockpit camera of Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes that appear to show that Hamilton is pushing and pulling the steering as if operating the outlawed DAS system. Mercedes are saying that the steering column is old and has wear in it……!
Hand pump for extra power 😃

·
Kevs Racing Bits
3,226 Posts
Let's just pretend they find the missing video footage from Max's car and also pretend he'll be penalised retrospectively, he may get a 5 second penalty which puts him 3rd, the next driver was almost 30 seconds back so the worst case scenario is losing 3 points which isn't really affecting the title race as he got 2 points in the sprint when Lewis should have got 3 but was prevented from doing so.
Max may get a 5 place grid penalty next race which isn't going to prevent him still finishing 2nd at least.
...anyway back to reality, it won't happen because 'they' don't want Lewis to get that 8th WDC.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Let's just pretend they find the missing video footage from Max's car and also pretend he'll be penalised retrospectively, he may get a 5 second penalty which puts him 3rd, the next driver was almost 30 seconds back so the worst case scenario is losing 3 points which isn't really affecting the title race as he got 2 points in the sprint when Lewis should have got 3 but was prevented from doing so.
Max may get a 5 place grid penalty next race which isn't going to prevent him still finishing 2nd at least.
...anyway back to reality, it won't happen because 'they' don't want Lewis to get that 8th WDC.
Good to see that conspiracy theories are alive and kicking!;)

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I wonder what speed advantage Mercedes gained by having Lewis' DRS gap 0.2mm - yes 0.2mm - too wide on one side? This makes the 1976 James Hunt/McLaren width issue (1 cm IIRC) pale into insignificance.

As Bottas' wing was ok, does this point to quality control issues at MB?

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
I wonder what speed advantage Mercedes gained by having Lewis' DRS gap 0.2mm - yes 0.2mm - too wide on one side? This makes the 1976 James Hunt/McLaren width issue (1 cm IIRC) pale into insignificance.

As Bottas' wing was ok, does this point to quality control issues at MB?
Or a lack of attention to detail? The report that I read, (IIRC it was the BBC), stated that the DRS gap could be “between 10mms to 85mms), and that the gap was within tolerance at the edges but over tolerance in the centre. I agree that 0.2mms is very small, but tolerances are there for a reason and Mercedes were clearly flirting with the limits of those tolerances for whatever reason. If there were little or nothing to be gained, then why not have, say, a 75mm gap?
It was also stated that in the speed trap, the Mercedes was 27kph faster than the next fastest Mercedes engined car without using a “tow”. So that is a pretty significant difference in speed. Whether it was due to and extra 0.2mm gap we may never know.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
3,226 Posts
I don't believe anything on the Biased Broadcasting Corporation these days, most articles under the F1 tab aren't about F1 anyway.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
All the crap being media led is detracting from a pretty good race , modern F1 has had many arguments about the hidden things manufacturers are doing , just remember Ferrari in Schumachers time and more recently, Red Bull have always breathed on the rules , so no suprise Merc maybe doing likewise.
My personal opinion is Max will get the title Merc will get constructers and i might stop getting fed up with it all.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
3,226 Posts
It was a great race, it's the off-track inconsistent and seemingly biased decision making that's spoiling it.

I would prefer Lewis won the WDC then he can retire and we can all move on - Max will be a multiple WDC winner as there isn't anyone else currently who has the drive and determination to be 100% all season.

I can't wait for F1 2022, new cars, new driver lineups, GR in a Merc...

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,235 ·
The report I saw was that the wing was out at one edge and that Mercedes put this down to probable warn parts in an area of the wing where the parts can't be inspected.

I think part of the problem is that with the rule changes next year neither Lewis or Max know if their car will be as competitive so Lewis is desperate to get his eighth, and record, title while max is also desperate for his first.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
I enjoyed Brazil from an hotel bedroom. Mrs Grumpy woke me up just in time for the start, so I didn't have to endure the usual BS beforehand.

A great drive by Lewis and Max. Both Championships could, seemingly, go either way.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
The report I saw was that the wing was out at one edge and that Mercedes put this down to probable warn parts in an area of the wing where the parts can't be inspected.

I think part of the problem is that with the rule changes next year neither Lewis or Max know if their car will be as competitive so Lewis is desperate to get his eighth, and record, title while max is also desperate for his first.
Reports vary depending on what the source is, I guess the only way to get to the bottom is to read the Stewards findings. Whatever the infringement was, for me, F1 is being ruined by teams pushing the envelope, (and yes, I fully realise that is what must be done), but all of these protests and counter-protests are turning me away from a motor sport that I have loved and followed since around 1960-61.
I still believe that the way forward is to simplify the rules for the cars so there can be no or very few grey areas and loopholes. Give the tyre manufacturer(s) a brief to build a tyre suitable for the cars, none of this multiple choice compounds or tyres built for a specific circuit. Yes we need intermediates and wet tyres, but simply a single compound dry weather tyre and let the drivers manage them. We are constantly told they are the best drivers in the World, so let them prove it, but most importantly, let the drivers race on the track! There is too much intervention from the teams during the”race” coaching the drivers and telling them to alter this, that or the other, let them drive and look at the pit boards!
Everything about F1 is done for the media who in turn are trying to attract more viewers, just look at the grid walks where there are more celebreties that than team members or officials who are attending their first ever F1 event and it is so “cool to see these fast cars man”, ah what the heck, many will disagree with my rambling but there are many who genuinely love F1 who will agree.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
3,226 Posts
Whilst that looks a great idea on paper, once you remove the rose tints the reality is the drivers are paid a salary by the team, it's the team that wins the money so of course the teams drive official complaints and counter allegation as its in their interest financially. F1...welcome to the Piranha Club...for big boys only (crybabies and bad losers need not apply).

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Whilst that looks a great idea on paper, once you remove the rose tints the reality is the drivers are paid a salary by the team, it's the team that wins the money so of course the teams drive official complaints and counter allegation as its in their interest financially. F1...welcome to the Piranha Club...for big boys only (crybabies and bad losers need not apply).
I am well aware that the Constructors Championship is the primary target for the Teams and the Drivers Championship is the most important title for the media and fanboys (and girls). I am also well aware of the much quoted Piranha Club comment first attributed to Ron Dennis speaking to Eddie Jordan after Flávio Briatore ”stole” a young Michael Schumacher from under Eddie Jordan’s nose.
Just recently you were despairing that the championship was over, so we all know that your support and loyalty is for the Mercedes/Hamilton and so you gleefully point the finger at Red Bull for “dirty tricks” but there are those of us who are simply fans and followers of motor racing and take a wholly broader view of the current set up of F1 and have long memories of Mercedes and Hamilton’s ruthlessness in action so please don’t try and whitewash them. I doubt there are any teams in F1 that are blameless, but I wasn’t wearing “rose tinted glasses” when I was looking to the future of F1. F1 is loosing viewers and needs a rethink. It needs to make a flatter playing field for all the teams in F1 because no one wants a single team walking away with the spoils each week. It has happened many times in the past and I would prefer not to see it any longer.

Reactions: spykerman
2221 - 2240 of 2275 Posts