SlotForum banner
2761 - 2780 of 3758 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Think the main opportunity, we don't have problems in the FIA, is who to replace him with.

Regardless of the rights or wrongs, conspiracy theories, flexible interpretation of the written rules, no one on the pundits, race teams or irate fans side has identified a worry successor.

In many situations of power, IE USA elections of the recent past and the current shenanigans in London, the humble punter is faced with a situation of going with what they perceive to be the least worse option .

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,152 Posts
In many situations of power, IE USA elections of the recent past and the current shenanigans in London, the humble punter is faced with a situation of going with what they perceive to be the least worse option .
...or leaving it behind as a bad experience and finding something more worthwhile doing.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,152 Posts
Making-it-up-on-the-fly is what the FIA have spent the last couple of years perfecting, last season was the final desensitising phase...next phase is 'rule bending outside the box thinking'...which comes into force at the first race when Lewis will get a 10 place grid penalty for something as trivial as 'not being somewhere'. Expect more comedy capers to follow this season as the FIA have their next trainee in intensive sessions watching episodes of Laurel & Hardy and the Three Stooges.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,764 ·
Masi was sharing the job of understudy to Charlie Whiting with Scott Elkins, and is race director for Formula E and DTM. It was Masi's turn that weekend in Australia 2019 and he just seemed to continue in the job but it easily have been Elkins. You have to remember that Whiting had been around longer than a lot if the F1 team bosses and was in a good position to have and keep a firm hand on things. Masi was thrown in at the deep end with very little support and a lot of pressure from the team bosses, just listen to the team radio to race control. He had pressure to let the drivers race and not over interfere. Then that was wrong so more penalties were handed out and that was wrong. There was, apparently, a verbal agreement between the teams and race control that they did not want races to finish under the safety car if at all possible. I think is quite possible that this was in his thinking when under pressure from Toto one way and Horner the other way he just tried to have a non-safety car finish. I'm not saying it was right or done correctly just offering a personal opinion.

The investigation has started and Toto has had his say already with the other team bosses to come and the drivers. The big problems is that, apparently, Hamilton wants to know the results of the investigation before deciding on his future but testing is next month and the results of the investigation aren't due until the World Motor Sports Council meeting which is the day before practice for the first race.

It will be interesting to see what happens as it would seem that most of the drivers have reservations over the lack of rules clarity last season. If they are going to replace Masi as race director then surely this has to be done before the testing sessions start next month and you can't expect Hamilton to have to wait until the first race practice day to decide his future as this would be no good for Hamilton or the team. Will Hamilton show up for testing, I think he will. Will Hamilton and Russell do all the testing, I think only if Hamilton has decided to continue and I hope he does, or will we possible find out who could be a possible replacement?

Another name being suggested for the position of race controller is Steve Nielsen, a former sporting director of the Renault and Williams teams who has held the same title for F1 under managing director of motorsport Ross Brawn since 2017.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
The only thing I would say is that there has never been a driver who has been bigger than the sport and I don’t believe that they can allow anyone, including Hamilton, to be bigger than the sport. Yes, Toto has a lot of clout with shares in other teams, but he cannot be allowed to have leverage over the governing body either.
There is a lot wrong with F1 nowadays and far too many inconsistencies in judgements and penalties. A lot is down to overly complex rules and regulations which require a ream of lawyers to firstly understand and secondly to open up loop-holes. I believe that F1 needs a complete reset to simplify so that the average punter can understand exactly what is happening because it is the average punter who is paying for the show and once you lose them, they won’t come back.
There are many of us on this Forum, who are quite old and who have followed F1 closely since the 60’s who struggle to get their heads around the rules and decisions without Joe public trying to understand, so let’s have that reset and get back to proper racing!

Reactions: HiFi and Henk

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Wasn't Charlie Whiting part of Bernie's Brabham set up over the years.
That will have given him a close up view of rules and their interpretation, remember the accusation of Brabham BMW rocket fuel, that Renault defused to protest.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I agree with Longdog, I think a simple, quick and easy rulebook would be better for F1 and its fans. Just plain simple rules. No silly verbal agreements either (I read about that too), just simple written rules with the penalty for non adherence clearly stated.
Oh and 2 or 3 people to support the Race Director at races, 1 to tell team bosses they can't try to 'influence' matters, 1 to keep an eye on proceedings and the rules and 1 to ensure rules are followed regardless of remaining laps/ WDC. Simple and possibly effective and efficient.

Hopefully this year won't cause so much controversy.
I read an article in which Toto stated Hamilton is F1. Pretty sure the sport is more then 1 driver, there's even a few cars. Great driver he is but without everyone else there is no F1.

·
Registered
12,155 Posts
Sky News has published a video in which Martin Brundle, Damon Hill and young Herbert give their views, most concisely, about the Abu Dhabi debate. Worth watching for anyone who's still sufficiently interested.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,772 Posts
I read an article in which Toto stated Hamilton is F1. Pretty sure the sport is more then 1 driver, there's even a few cars. Great driver he is but without everyone else there is no F1.

Personally I think that its the other way around - "F1 is Lewis". Sir Lewis has no voice without F1, that is why he will race in 2022.

Leo

2761 - 2780 of 3758 Posts