SlotForum banner
3641 - 3660 of 3722 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Apparently, Audi's area of interest is in the hybrid/electric component. The reason why it dropped Formula E was the requirement to use so much standard equipment and lack of opportunity to develop their own tech and showcase their IP. Ditto most other electric/hybrid series where the tech is off-the-shelf as a box-ticking exercise.

Only Dakar and F1 offer them sufficient freedom to develop their own IP and they've now got four years in which to develop something fairly spectacular for F1. It will be well worth watching how the 2026 regs evolve because it's standard form for VW/Audi to gently nudge them to where they want them to be with effective lobbying.

A rival team boss on Dakar was ranting about that earlier this year, saying that it was basically terrible for the competition when the organisers were prepared to give so much ground away to a manufacturer who was only going to be present for three years. Each time the other teams complain that a rule has been changed to favour Audi, the organisers raise it with them and the response is: 'Well, we could always stop bringing press to your events or buying hospitality...'

It's happened before... WRC, Trans-Am, IMSA, DTM, Super Touring, Le Mans. Every single time, Audi arrives with something nobody else has got (or where nobody else is competing), dominates and then complains when people catch up before leaving soon after.

For these F1 projects, Porsche, I believe, will be responsible for the internal combustion element for both programmes but the hybrid, battery and electrics will be bespoke to each brand. It's going to be very interesting to see how we get there but I think we know what the end result will be!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
To be fair I don't think Audi left Le man's because Porsche and Toyota were on the pace, it was more as a result of dieselgate.
Most Motorsport programmes have a finite planned period, Porsche finished a year early with the 919 as they'd nothing left to prove, Ford culled the GT GTE after its planned four years, you get to the law of diminishing returns.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Audi folk were certainly very unhappy the last two years that they were in WEC, complaining that the fuel specs laid out by the ACO/FIA and Shell favoured small capacity gasoline engines. They were very unhappy with mid-engined Group B cars, banging on about their cars being the only ones with any of the road car in them. They were extremely vocal about the weight penalties they got in DTM with the V8 quattros and in Supertouring with the A4 quattros.

As of now, they're in their happy place with Dakar, getting the rules tweaked to their liking and building cars that will do the job. I imagine they'll win the next two, then start complaining and pull out 'to focus on F1'.

Ford drove a coach and horses through every known law of homologation with the ACO's consent to get the GT GTEs built because at a time when manufacturers were desperately needed a big glossy Ford programme was ideal. How many road cars did they build in the end?! Porsche did what it wanted, restored primacy at Le Mans in the record books, but if anything the 919 programme was collateral damage from dieselgate rather than Audi's programme.

The LMDh/Hypercar is cheap as chips in comparison with the 919, Penske's footing a lot of the bill and at the moment there's only the Toyota and the Peugeot to worry about. Alpine gets to run its grandfathered car until 2024 because the ACO feels duty bound to encourage French manufacturers, but if an old LMP is allowed to outpace these shiny new hypercars it will be hard for the incoming manufacturers to stick around.

It's certainly looking like interesting times ahead for all the big series, but when it comes to Audi, there's a saying about leopards and spots...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Even if it were true how is this any different than mining, drilling and frakking?

One important difference is that batteries are 94-96% recyclable. There are 2 factories doing this and they run completely from the left over charge in the batteries so they are completely emission free.
So once the lithium has been mined and can be reused ad infinitum.
This mining "boom" will likely dissipate within a few decades.

Nothing is perfect.... there is no win-win.

It is true that the current way batteries and EVs are built creates a "backpack" of emissions that is much higher than standard ICE (dino-juice squirt, fart, spark) cars however when charged using renewable energy they become emissions negative within a few thousand miles.

Even if you can't charge with renewables the does lower emissions locally which has benefits.

EVs aren't perfect and battery power is not perfect but fossil fuels are literally dead....
The above is so true.
My previous vehicle, bought brand new, burned 60 thousand pounds of gasoline over the 15 years I owned it. That's a lot.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Very interesting take on what's coming up this weekend from the Door Bumper Clear NASCAR podcast. For one thing their amusement at the Marina ("that's not water, that's vinyl...'), added to their amazement that general admission tickets are changing hands for $2000 and that hotels are now $2000-3000 per night.

But equally, as one of them said: "If I didn't have to work this weekend, I would drive to Miami and I would park my fat a$$ on one of them boats in that marina and be just as happy as any human being in America..."

The Grand Prix is going head-to-head with Darlington's historic Southern 500, the throwback weekend which means that the biggest animal in the US motorsport jungle is on home ground, appealing most to its core base, and going toe-to-toe with F1's shiniest, most expensive and most American event. F1 will be playing to 75,000 in the grandstands and hosted on ABC for its TV coverage. Darlington will be on capacity 47,000 and broadcast on FS1. Both races start at 3.30pm eastern time.

Officially, the cheapest ticket to Miami was $880 for an 'Aqua Pass'. The cheapest ticket for Darlington was $77. If you have to ask how much the top tier of Miami costs then you really should look elsewhere, whereas the most expensive package for Darlington is $352.

So will it be the grassroots motorsport fans or the high-spending 'adventure seekers' targeted by Miami who will be crowned kings in the marketplace?

Let the games begin...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Looks like Miami is trying to be Monaco, corporate hospitality seems to be the target market.
Think it's an interesting track layout,tight turns, sweeping curves, a long straight, be difficult to set up so there's going to be a few compromises.
If we throw in the unpredictabilty of the weather, apparently they have short sharp 5 minute showers, will the heat hit the tightly packaged Bulls, then it could throw a curve ball result,go Llando.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Watched some of the practice sessions today and as expected the teams have a lot to learn. Lots of experimenting with setups - speed vs. downforce , braking points, etc. Should be a fun weekend.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Enjoyed FP 1 and 2, very mixed track, slippery off line, some run offs quite tight.
Expecting plenty of incidents and safety cars.
Looks like George is coping well again ,although the Stuttgart taxi is improved I've a feeling parts got to be track specific.
I'm sure qually tonight is going to throw up some surprises.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,124 Posts
Ignoring the tat it has a lot to like as a race venue. I'm not sure we're going to see a whole lot of overtaking though so qually is key and strategy (MB are amateurs here) will be interesting.
Good to see a possible 6 car race at the sharp end but Max will as usual give it more than the rest.

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
It appears that George is doing rather well in Miami while Lewis is almost a second adrift. Still, he is consistent this season……!

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
It's good to see you only focussing on the same driver, there are others out there allegedly.
True, Sainz visits to the wall has become an all too regular occurrence and Vettel is struggling with the AM but that may be due to the MB power train as it surely is significant that the teams using the MB power train all appear to be on the back foot, possibly due to the packaging, possibly due to floor design? Danny Ricciardo is also one of the better drivers who is having issues coming to grips with the new cars while his team mate is showing him the way home.

I know you have a soft spot for Lewis Kev, but he is the most high profile driver out there even touted as the GOAT and yet he is being out-performed by his rookie team-mate and if that doesn’t warrant comment, then what does?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
FP 3 was interesting, Perez is on it, the Stuttgart taxis are like space hoppers again, Fernando and MSC in the top six,Ocon in the wall.
Think qually is going to be pretty important for the end result tomorrow, unless it rains in the race.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,124 Posts
I know you have a soft spot for Lewis Kev, but he is the most high profile driver out there even touted as the GOAT and yet he is being out-performed by his rookie team-mate and if that doesn’t warrant comment, then what does?
GR was a 'rookie' in 2019, he's a veteran of 64 races now.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,124 Posts
What about Vatteri then, I bet he's pleased as punch he's been replaced at MB :ROFLMAO:
...Lewis half a second ahead of his up-till-now-faster team mate...but still miles off the pace.
...Danny Ric...hmm, not looking good
...Yuki hanging on to his team mate

The race should be interesting, I'm willing to bet at least one safety car and one or two unexpected surprises

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Enjoyed the qually session last night,looks dirty off line,it's going to be about tyres and not taking risks, this track will bite.
The first lap through that ridiculously tight chicane will be interesting, I'm predicting a safety car on lap one.
Will madmax play the long game or take risks early on, I'm sure Ferrari will have spoken to the boys, no silly antics ,think of the team initially, we'll look at positions later on in the race.

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
Where are F1 priorities? They are threatening drivers that if they insist on wearing jewellery, including wedding rings, they may get fined and/or have points deducted for safety reasons. Likewise, drivers are not allowed to wear their own underwear and Sebastian Vettel wore his boxer shorts over his race suit as a protest!

However, Saint took a trip into the barrier which wasn’t exactly a barrier but it was a concrete wall and sustained a slight injury to his neck in a relatively low speed impact. He asked for a ProTech barrier to be installed and the the race director refused. Next up, Ocon had a virtually identical accident with a 51G impact which resulted in him hurting his knees and breaking his chassis. The FIA have said that a TechPro barrier was not deemed necessary on that corner before race weekend and it stands by its decision.

So it’s fine to hit a concrete wall but dangerous to wear a wedding ring or boxer shorts! Something is rotten in the state of F1!

Phew! I think I got away without focussing on Lewis Hamilton, was that OK Kev? ;)

Reactions: merkit the grof
3641 - 3660 of 3722 Posts