SlotForum banner
3701 - 3720 of 3983 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Going to take time to get where be need to be.
Infrastructure, infrastructure, infrastructure.
One day new housing estates will all have solar roofing, a fast car charging port, a community central anaerobic digester, a community central mini nuclear power plant.

Less folks will need to commute,which is good for them and their wellbeing and the environment, but for very expensive franchise's of buses and trains totally disastrous.

The other big issue morally is the folks that work from home,have had a better life generally post pandemic thrust on them ,also a very handy pay rise, not paying to commute, but the folks who are not able to work from home,nurses,delivery drivers etc etc etc have not had this benefit,they've been 5 h1t on by comparison.

Anyway back to that Northamptonshire airfield, solar roofing, electric shuttle buses could help a bit, but all the new building work of monstrously expensive lodges etc has a big carbon impact.

Spain this weekend is going to be interesting, will Ferrari and Chocolate Eclair put up more of a fight, will George upset Lou Lou even more, will DoDo authorise plan/design B for the Stuttgart taxi, lights out and away we go.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
I think that the FIA's position is untenable re: Masi as it stands. You fire the guy for making the wrong decision but uphold the result of said decision. From an HR perspective, I imagine they're on sticky wicket there and reputationally Masi will, at the very least, want some sort of endorsement that he isn't a cretin.
As I understand it, the official line was that Masi was never fired but “removed from his role and replaced by 2 new personnel“ Eduardo Freitas and Niels Wittich, basically the organisation was restructured. MasI was to be offered another role within the FIA, so he was never actually sacked, simply moved sideways to placate outraged parties. ie the Mercedes team.
However, before the end of last season, there were already plans in place to restructure Race Control with Niels Wittich earmarked as assistant to Masi who was always in the FIAs plans to work within Race Control.
I have always felt that the biggest issue here was that the teams had direct contact via emails, telephone and radio with Race Control during the race and effectively bullied Masi when he should have been making a fair and impartial decision based on what he was actually seeing. I am not a supporter of Masi but I do think he was vilified unfairly for his decision.

Reactions: beardy56

·
Premium Member
5,114 Posts
If you have the money you can become carbon neutral overnight by just dropping lots of funds in to carbon reducing projects. Problem is this doesn't mean you are doing anything to reduce your carbon output which is what is needed. Some of these carbon reduction projects aren't even increasing carbon reduction, just protecting what's already there.

Is Silverstone going to surround the circuit with wind farms to be totally electric green? Will it ban all air traffic? Will the spectators have to have an electric car, walk or cycle to get a ticket? Will F1 be using 100% carbon free fuel by then?.

End of the day it's about not generation CO2 not just being carbon neutral.
Offsetting/sequestering through the planting of trees is a busted flush now that everyone has worked out that all the trees you plant will eventually release the carbon when they die anyway.

Silverstone sits on the western side of the Oxford-Cambridge Arc, within which almost 2 million dwellings (plus schools, offices, hospitals and other infrastructure), are to be built in the next 20 years, in order to create the 'technology belt' that will become the backbone of our economy. Or some such.

This is a Blair-era blue-sky-thinking plan that was signed-off by Cameron and is the apple of the increasingly powerful netzero lobby's eye among the Tories. It's also one of the most valuable and protected bits of real estate in the UK, meaning that places in which to build said 'technology belt' and to house its workforce are thin on the ground.

So what we're talking about is 800 acres of brownfield which haven't turned a profit since Nigel Mansell was battling for the championship 30 years ago... and which is now owned by the property development firms upon which the pension funds of BT and the Royal Mail are reliant.

I can't help but feel that no matter what steps are taken to graft the 'sustainable' tag onto the British GP, the venue will be a housing estate sooner than F1 can claim carbon neutrality, no matter how creative its accountancy.

·
Slot King
3,363 Posts
The difference between Sainz and Leclerc is this:
Given a historically important car to drive, Leclerc went for it and crashed.
Sainz wouldn't have crashed, that's why he is struggling to match Charles laptimes.
Just a tiny difference in the risk/reward equation.

Joel

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Little Jack Horner is upset about the green Red Bull it seems.
Yes, and you really can see why! Apparently, some teams have been using 3D digital cameras for “spy” shots and simply downloading the pictures into their design computers. I suppose all’s fair in love and war, but it must sting a bit!

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
And if course it's been absolutely no benefit whatsoever of little Jack Horner having lured folks from Mercedes engine division to honda under another name engine division.
Pot,kettle,black.
Yes, it happens all of the time, as I said, all’s fair, etc, etc. Give them a couple of years and they will have jumped ship to Audi or Porsche ;)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Before teaching I spent 18 years in the ceramics industry both UK and international, everyone knew everything else the other firms were doing, either through family or friends working at competitors, or through, what shall be say to be delicate, visiting other hotel rooms at major trade shows, I'm sure the motor industry is no different.

3701 - 3720 of 3983 Posts