SlotForum banner

1541 - 1560 of 1580 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Watched pretty much all of the race on Channel 4 catchup last night, first race I've watched in quite a long time, also I hadn't seen the results in advance and I'll be honest, I really enjoyed it, it was a great advert for F1.

Whilst I won't have Sky in the house you can't fault the production values, I wonder just how many cameras they actually had at Baku? The editing is fast and sharp and how they pull it all together so quickly is fascinating. They must have teams of editors working in the background.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,543 ·
Pirelli...
"preliminary investigation" at the track had indicated that they were both caused by cuts from on-track debris.

Max post race interview...
"For sure [there will be talks with Pirelli] but we know the result from that conversation already and that's a bit hard to accept," he said.

"It will be related to debris; it's like that. I'm sure there will be talks; Pirelli isn't happy with what happened here today.

"We're doing the same line every lap because everyone wants to be in the slipstream. It's very weird that it happens to me.

"I think they cleaned the track [after the Stroll crash] but Pirelli is probably going to say it was carbon debris on track.

"It was like that in Imola [last year, when Verstappen also had a tyre failure]. So that's something you can't say anything about. The fact is another tyre exploded, not only for me but also for Stroll. It's very frustrating."

It would be nice to have all tyres capable of lasting the full race distance with full grip, still have teams use two compounds but then they could chose when to do the tyre change. They could change very early or very late and we could get, hopefully, some more interesting racing.

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
I see selective prejudice mode is on again, watch Q3 again, there's a perfectly good reason why VB missed out here.
Oh dear, sorry, I shouldn’t have had an opinion should I? Still, I have my take of the situation and you have your own, well-balanced, completely neutral and unbiased view too and I doubt we will ever agree unless it is about how good ShooGoo is!

Reactions: merkit the grof

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
My opinion is that gorgeous George's blood pressure must go through the roof when he watches the replays and where Bottas finishes.😬

Toto probably likewise. 🙄

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,604 Posts
So Ross Brawn is waxing lyrical now about the exciting sprint race we had...
I don't doubt for one minute we'll see more and more of it, redflagitis with 5 lap sprints at the end. Next thing they'll be adding it as an extra after every race with the sprint race getting its own points added on top of the actual 'race'.
F1 as we know it died when liberty took over.
...fanboost next!

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
So Ross Brawn is waxing lyrical now about the exciting sprint race we had...
I don't doubt for one minute we'll see more and more of it, redflagitis with 5 lap sprints at the end. Next thing they'll be adding it as an extra after every race with the sprint race getting its own points added on top of the actual 'race'.
F1 as we know it died when liberty took over.
...fanboost next!
Gosh darn it! I agree with you Kevan!

Reactions: Kevan

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
The Sprint Race is alive and well. It will be trialled before the GP at Silverstone this year, a twenty lapper on the Saturday to determine grid positions.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,552 ·

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Liberty? Have I just not been reading and watching the right things or have they taken a big step backwards and out of the limelight?

I mean, seems to me that once upon a time Chase's 'tache was on screen every race weekend. I've not seen him, or heard much reference to Liberty at all this year.

Just an observation. Not complaining.

As you were.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Chase was replaced by Stefano from the end of last year, see interview above.
I must smile , it seems by all i,ve heard and read about Baku there is more interest in of the track antics than on it , are we about to see a new series of Dallas coming Horner as JR ,Toto as Bobby in the leading roll's

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Chase was replaced by Stefano from the end of last year, see interview above.
Ah. Did he now. Noted.

So... I've not seen Stefano, or heard much reference to Liberty at all this year.

🙄

As you were. Again.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,557 ·
Stefano is from an engineering background so more use to finding the solutions for a problem, seeing if it works, getting it done and then on to the next problem all while staying in the background. Unlike previous heads of F1 who were media based or liked to blow their own trumpet. Anyone can make bold and rash statements to the press but end of the day it's improvements in the races that's needed and hopefully Stefano will get this sorted. Next year will be a big test along with the new engines when they come.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,604 Posts
If I didn't care who wins in F1 then this season would be great fun, unfortunately I have preferred drivers, why is that normal for an F1 fan? You align yourself to a particular driver or two and it doesn't matter what team they join.
I had this kind of discussion a couple of years ago about football teams, the person I was having a chat with said "your family is from Southport...that's in Merseyside, you should be a Liverpool fan" to which I replied "it was in Lancashire when I left and I couldn't bear the thought of changing allegiance"

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
If I didn't care who wins in F1 then this season would be great fun, unfortunately I have preferred drivers, why is that normal for an F1 fan? You align yourself to a particular driver or two and it doesn't matter what team they join.
I had this kind of discussion a couple of years ago about football teams, the person I was having a chat with said "your family is from Southport...that's in Merseyside, you should be a Liverpool fan" to which I replied "it was in Lancashire when I left and I couldn't bear the thought of changing allegiance"
Don't we all have favourits in everything from politicians ( hmm might not be the best example ) to what we put on our bread, we all have our dislikes , but every one is entitled to their likes and dislikes.
I don't do anything with social media personally think it,s C----p but others like it , in sport , always had a soft spot for Rossi in the bikes great rider and so amusing , now his time is over as a front line competitor but i still like him, just got to find someone new to support.
Motor racing is the same at my age i can remember seeing the greats of the early 60,s and in those days you could mingle with them in the paddock as well, well remember how serious Jimmy Clark looked , the twinkle in Graham Hill's eyes as a young lady joined the conversation, Innes Ireland holding court with some great stories and jokes , and the one time i stood next to Dan Gurney what a gent, these guys were all my favourites but for so many differant reasons.
Todays F1 stars ? seem so remote from us now , i don't have a favourite, i really do think that Lewis is one of the greats of his era and all time but he's not my favourite, Max annoys me has such talent but does like to throw his toys out of the pram and a right sulker even when he finished 3rd in quali , how many on the grid would be happy about that and the chance to win.
Danny boy frustrates me , personally i think his time is running out, Norris, Russell are basically the new breed Russell will drive for Merc , and i think Norris will go to either Merc or Ferrari in the long run.
If i had to pick someone on the current grid who i look out for i suppose it,s Kimi always liked his attitude , but like Rossi his time is over, so who will be my favourite next ? , no idea, but would love to see a new Stirling Moss, who could drive any racing car.
Stirling Moss_Monaco1961.jpg

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
For too many people these days being a Formula One fan is all about "your favourite driver/team/manufacturer" to this lot the very idea of just enjoying the sport for its own sake is an alien concept . 👽🤑:mad:

1541 - 1560 of 1580 Posts