SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
The car looked planted from where I was standing and mighty quick, was in two minds whether to get one, think last night tipped the scales!

Very nice finish and decal application Bernice acclestonage…

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car ran extremely well in completely standard trim. Running low 13 second laps, which is around what a standard slot.it group C will pull. However, there are several things about the standard spec that really slow the car down! The 8t pinion is a very odd choice and before you drive the car would appear to be to give the car better acceleration. Once you drive the car, the real reason becomes quite apparent. The motor has very little torque. At least for a long can lump. Even with the 8t pinion the acceleration is very poor. The other rather nasty side effect of this, is the motor doesn't brake too well either.
Now, as I've said, the car does run very well as standard despite the issues I've mentioned above, but with a few changes/additions the car goes from being good to exceptional.
I've now fitted an NSR King21 evo3 motor and I've swapped out the standard transmission for slot.it 9/23 gearing. I've also added suspension to the mix to soften things up a bit.
The result is a car that pulls and brakes properly and due to the gearing doesn't run out of puff half way up the straight. This combination has dropped the lap times to the very low 12 second mark which is a massive improvement.
There are other areas where I feel gains could be made, which I'll investigate soon, but the beauty of this car is either standard or breathed upon it would make the basis of a very good club class.
It's a real breath of fresh air to be able to buy a proper 'drivers' open wheel model that actually performs as it should. What I mean by that is until now, off the shelf 'Formula' models have been blown into the weeds by the multitude of top notch GT and sports prototype models that have been pouring out of Italy and Spain for the last ten years. Now there is actually a car available that redresses the balance. It puts F1 back at the pinnacle of what we do, not wobbling around lapping slower than a standard SCX rally car.
For the club racer, it's an absolute dream

·
Marc Abbott
1,915 Posts
Interesting what you say about the gearing. On mine, I could never get to top speed and thought that the gearing was totally out for the motor (too long).
The only major issue for me was that the gearing itself was rather tight and if you didn't align things 100 per cent you would suffer. However, once sorted the car had the legs.
The brakes on my motor are ok: in fact they are fairly good. However, if you think it will be even better with a different can I'll probably change - and the gears too.
I was hoping that a bog standard car would make for a nice competitive class, but perhaps there's going to be an issue with the motors being a bit of a lottery; as to whether you get a good one or not.

ABBO

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (abbo @ 8 Feb 2013, 19:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The only major issue for me was that the gearing itself was rather tight and if you didn't align things 100 per cent you would suffer.

The gearing on mine was so loose I had to fit an anglewinder stopper on the opposite side of the chassis to actually make it mesh at all. It worked ok after that, but still no match for the slot.it replacement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts