Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have a couple questions about the finish, the cars! What brand is best, in terms of F1? Most faithful originals? Considered to be of more quality?

What is the difference between SCX and Scalextric? Can you use parts such as wings from the SCX Scalextric?
Sorry for my english hope you understand and develop my question.

/ Magnus

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,718 Posts
I wasn't much into F1 cars - but recently picked up 3 of them - a Carrera, Scalextric and Ninco - quality and finish they are all pretty much the same. The Carrera looks a little more robust.

The front wheels on the Ninco turn with the guide so they look good. I think SCX does this as well.

The Scalextric is the quickest it has a powerful motor in it.

So that you have even match ups for racing I stick with one brand as there are differences in performance across the brands

cheers
David

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks David. So in your opinion, one should stick to the same manufacturer? I myself started recently and has become completely crazy about the details of F1 cars and so on. At first I thought I stick to the present day F1, but so have released Scalextric McLaren MP4-6!

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Hard to top Scalextric for looks and almost impossible for speed (with the magnets in). Obviously they frustrate people looking for a specific car/livery because often they relivery existing models, although they aren't often too offensive as a result!

Latest Carreras are very nice, not far off in terms of pace and much more robust. Drivers are still pinheads compared to Scalextric though.

Haven't tried SCX. Haven't really wanted to!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Some manufactures produce a "new" F1 by putting the new livery on the molding from a previous year. That way they can produce several years' F1 for the cost of one mold tool. That's good news if you want the new livery, because it may well not be economic for them to produce a complete new car so often. However, some years the cars change shape quite a lot from the previous year, so you get the up to date livery on a body shape 1, 2 or even more years previous, which is a problem for those who are concerned with accuracy. Scalex have done this quite a few times.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Welcome, Magnus.
I see you are truly a new poster or "newbie".
Would you mind adding your country in the "From:" area (found in the My Controls) so we can see where you live? That way if someone speaks your native language they may be able to help you translate.
Cheers!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Magnus,

I'm a huge fan of F1 slotting. That said consider all of the following just my opinion and nothing more.

First - I own both Scalextric and Carrera F1 cars, have never owned Ninco or SCX.
I think Scalextric produce the best cars, but they do try to extend molding runs longer than the others seem to do as has already been mentioned.

Second - The Scalextric cars will be more fragile than the Carrera's as the plastic winglets and wings tend to be made of thinner plastic.

I don't think that the steering front wheels are a great ideal because those pieces tend to be a bit more fragile and you can risk big damage in crashes. Don't know much about recent SCX cars, but their track (width) in recent years seemed WAY out of proportion related to other makers. Also, the Carreras had an extraordinarily high ride height, which to me, make both brands look cartoonish when sitting on the track from certain angles. To my eyes, Scalextric has the "right" proportion.

Doesn't mean you can't enjoy the others, but lets face it, much of the time the cars are not running, either in a display or in the pits, so how they look "at rest" is important to me. Thats why they call it model car racing, right?

Anyway, check out some of my historic posts as I've put up bunches of pictures of my F1 cars on my track.

Regards,

-- Rakete --

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,718 Posts
The new Scalextric McLaren and Williams cars look brilliant - but then I remember that era of F1 racing. From what I have read they are excellent cars - might be a good way to start your F1 collection

cheers
DM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts