SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I have a car decoder ready to go that is 27x 12 mm rather than 30 x 15 mm. It had no light pins and is not bi directional. It has only one diode for protection from shorting rather than the 4 diodes that firm the bridge rectifier that gives the decoder the ability to run both directions. Both will be available eventually, probably this year.

So I thought I'd run it by the forum readers. How important is size compared to functions like light control (requires the Scorpius light board, not yet released) and bi-directional ability? And ad the next production run is now, should this run be the F1 chip or existing chip?

I'll leave it up to you guys. It will slow production only a week or so.

Rick

·
Registered
881 Posts
But wouldn't that mean the new smaller chips would have the same issues as the current ones? Or have all the issues with lap counting, etc been fixed with the latest chip version?

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
Hi Rick, I would prefer two types: Big one (bidirectional) for roadcars and group C racers and a small type (as small as possible) for targacars like Porsche 904, Alfa 33/3 etc with limeted space. The small one would be great if bidirectional, too. Light is not necessary in my case. For the next productionrun I would prefer the type that was used in production-run No. 1. Regards Jens

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
QUOTE (h00ch @ 28 Feb 2012, 02:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But wouldn't that mean the new smaller chips would have the same issues as the current ones? Or have all the issues with lap counting, etc been fixed with the latest chip version?

Yes we found 2 or even 3 fixes as 4 users found lap counting issues. We have boosted protection on the braid side of chip and added a software fix in the RMS which can detect any missed laps. The issue was borderline as I ran a 6000 lap race night recently with no missed laps.

Kellerkind,
We will have both eventually but will only be doing one for now. The F1 type cannot be bi directional.
Rick

·
Registered
881 Posts
Capacitor on wires and the ground wire attached as the others are would be nice. I'm always afraid I'm frying something on the other side of the board when soldering the ground wire to the pad

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
ZITAT(injectorman @ 27 Feb 2012, 20:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...We will have both eventually but will only be doing one for now. The F1 type cannot be bi directional.
Rick

...okay, I would prefer the "old style" bigger ones then (to keep all options first and buy some of the smaller F1-chips maybe later). Regards Jens
Btw: Cap on wires would be a great issue!

·
Greg Gaub
15,355 Posts
I'm a forum reader and you asked for opinions. Take this, therefore, at that value.

I think it would make the most sense to continue in your original plan to produce the products that you have already planned to produce, which people are waiting for, rather than to delay production in order to make a new product that people have not already paid for. It also seems to me that it would be better to produce the item that has been thoroughly field tested and improved rather than one that has not been tested as much, and may still need improvement.

Once your pre-orders are fulfilled, and shops are carrying product for quick and easy replacement and purchase, then it would make sense to introduce a new product such as a smaller chip with less features. I'm sure many people will very much appreciate a smaller chip without light support, but right now they just want chips that they know will work, as soon as possible.

As an example, while SSD DPR chips were sold out everywhere, many people were installing the solder-in chips into DPR cars in order to chip them as soon as possible, rather than wait for the chip that was technically more appropriate. Also, although there was no technical reason for it, early versions of the saloon DPR chip were frought with reliability problems. They finally sussed it out and produced the Rev G chip that works quite well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.