SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

We are planning on attending the F1 race at Monza next year.
Is parking readily available? Cost?
Best viewing areas?
Any other tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I think car parking is free. It is at most races.

My favourite place to be when the cars first come out on Friday is the inside of Parabolica. You'll find plenty of tifosi camped out in the bushes, great atmosphere and original tribunes that will be 90 years old next year. Then you hear the sound of the first engine coming out of the pits, listen to it going around the lap and then howling through the trees before it bursts into view about as close as you'll ever get to an F1 car when taking the apex of that old corner. Sheer chuffing magic.

There aren't really any poor places to watch, and even though I'm never one for sitting on the start/finish straight even that's got a bit more about it at Monza. Just make sure you get everywhere and drink it all in because it's unique. I love the woodsmoke rising from the campsites, the sound of the Carabinieri Huey chugging away overhead, the ancient paddock buildings nestling safely away from the modern F1 paddock... F1 may be a cynical place and many of the great venues butchered, but there's still magic enough in the Villa Reale. Enjoy!

·
Ric Woods
817 Posts
I attended the 2009 race and had a seat in one of the stands at the Ascari Chicane. There weren't that many overtakes there on the day, but it was a great place to watch as the cars came under the old banking, through the chicane then back on the power on the way to the Parabolica. One of the highlights for me was having a walk on a section of the old banking, and, during Friday practice, standing right down by the fence at the entrance to Ascari, with cars flashing past at 200 mph then braking oh-so-late for the chicane. Wow!

The whole Monza experience is utterly unforgettable - the fervour, the atmosphere, the history. You will have a fantastic time.

Mooster

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
We - the one who should be obeyed and I - went there this year as part of our honeymoon in Italy. In short. It's freekin AWESOME.

We sat at the first chicane (Variante del Rettifilo). What was great about sitting there was:

1) You have a big screen right in front of you to follow the rest of race once the cars have passed you.
2) If you want to take some photographs the cars are slow enough there to take some decent shots....that is if you're not a amateur like me.
3) All the accidents happened there or were caused there...ask Mark Webber...Nico Rosberg....Vitaly Petrov and Liuzzi.
4) There is gate close by to invade the track after the race! Great stuff!

The only bad thing about sitting there was if it rains you will be wet as the grandstand is not covered. Lucky for us, it was HOT with no rain.

Parking it seems was dependant on what kind of ticket you bought. If you had some kind of VIP ticket you parked at the track and I guess for free. If you're a mere mortal like we were then you parked well away from the track (the track is in a National Forest Park so no parking inside the Park) paid between 15 and 20 Euro per day. This fee included the return shuttle bus service that ran between the well marked parking areas and the track. Once you reach the drop off be prepared to walk at least a mile to get to the track. It's a nice walk. Your in a park, everyone is happy and the smell of wood burning fires fills the air....and you walk under the original banked track. Great stuff!

It was hot. One other tip I have is buy your drinking water at a super market. At the track everything is SUPER expensive = 500ml bottle of water 2 Euro's. 6 x 2l bottled water at super market 2 Euro's. It's also a good idea to take your own sarnies as well. Make some from the local cheeses and ample local ham etc.

Also, you can sit wherever you want on the Friday. On the Saturday and Sunday you HAVE to sit at your allocated space. So on the Friday, we sat at the Parabolica and the Varianti Ascari both excellent places to view because of the challenging track.

There were also a lot of roadworks and changes so the GPS had a bit of a hard time...but we drove there and back 6 different ways and enjoyed all the scenery.

Errr...think that is about it....I still get goosebumps when I think about the first time I heard that Ferrari of Massa coming down the straight after Ascari......I will never forget it.

Oh-oh!! EARPLUGS!! Biggest investment ever.

Enjoy it!!

Some pics from the day:

Webber crash site...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts