SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Fairways Racing Complex is the result of my reintroduction to the great fun I had as a boy when I raced slot cars with my good friends at various tracks in our homes. I started designing and development of the track back in July last year with an old friend and fellow boyhood slot racer providing much of the carpentry know-how. It presented some special challenges since it would be built in our semi-open Caribbean garage and would have to be hoisted up to the ceiling when not in use. The table is made from three 4' x 8' plyboard sheets on a wooden frame and rests on two home-made horses when lowered. Making the horses presented their own problems themselves since the garage floor slopes slightly on two planes, so each of the eight legs are of different lengths. We had to work out the hoisting logistics and make the brackets for the winch and pulleys. Despite all the hurdles, the track has been a big success and now attracts a group of friends and family every Thursday night for our race events which are the main focus of FRC. We have a great time and the number of participants has grown considerably since the track was completed. I've posted some pictures here, but you can see more and read about our events on the FRC website. Don't forget to read the race reports in the Racing section. There's lots more about it there.

Here are some pics:

Let me know what you think.

Gordon

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Thanks for joining the forum, Gordon.

BTW, I got your email info about your lifting arrangements. Many thanks!

I am sure you will find the posts on this forum interesting and reading the variety of slot car topics can be quite time consuming.

All the best and congratulations on your terrific layout.

Cheers!
Gordon

·
David Taylor
271 Posts
Gordon,

Very impressive layout there. Simple and very effective. The track layout doesnt appear to have any R1 curves which is a good thing when racing digital. The track layout looks very realistic with no over the top weird track designs - like it a lot.

Dave

·
Registered
290 Posts
Very nice. Flat track keeps the ceiling high but nicely sized for long lap lengths. Nice basic scenery. Great place to have a beer and some friendly rivalry!

BTW I loved T & T when I was there back in Oct of '95. Had some close friends (John and Ivy -- turned me on to Rum and Coconut water) that were from there originally.

I know it's not important in digital, but how close are the lap lengths?

-Mark0

=--=--=

·
Lars Ole
1,640 Posts
very nice job must be great for night racing

cheers

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the positive comments. I've been looking at other tracks posted here and mine is mediocre at best when compared to some. As I mentioned before, racing is our main focus, so there are some compromises on landscaping, although I have some ideas of things I'd like to do as the track develops further.

Randy: It is a lot of fun, although sometimes it can be somewhat chaotic when we have a full house.

Gordon: Glad you got my e-mail and hope its helpful in some way. SlotForum is the resource for serious slot racers. I've actually been visiting this site since last year and have gleaned tons of useful information.

Dave: Even as a boy I never liked R1 curves, although I used the 45º versions at times back then.

MarcoC: You're welcome any time. Just need to cross the pond.

MarkO: So you've spent time in T&T! Come back on vacation and we'll drink a rum and coconut water trackside at FRC (Followed by a good roti!). As for the track, the outer lane is 76' 8", the inner 74' 1".

fabim: Thanks. Everyone who's raced on it enjoys it, although it initially is a bit confusing with the track going left to right, right to left along almost the whole table length several times per lap.

PSRRFH: Night racing is great. Things get a bit warm here in the tropics, so its always cooler at night. Good time to have a few drinks too!

Gordon

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Beautiful simplicity and simply beautiful. The green borders just make it.

Gordon, if you haven't already you've got to try some no-mag racing on your layout - Ninco Classics or Cartrix F1s would just love that track. Twice the fun at half the speed!

Paul
Circuit TrustChrist

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (pault86 @ 6 Aug 2009, 00:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Beautiful simplicity and simply beautiful. The green borders just make it.

Gordon, if you haven't already you've got to try some no-mag racing on your layout - Ninco Classics or Cartrix F1s would just love that track. Twice the fun at half the speed!

Paul
Circuit TrustChrist

Paul,

You've found my post in this section! Thanks again for your kind words, as usual.

You know, I've been thinking about some no-magnet classes for some time. That will certainly bring back memories and the fun I remember having driving slot cars as a boy. I'll certainly keep the cars you mention in mind. Just need to convince these magnet-heads I race with.

Gordon

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Slotrace.dk @ 6 Aug 2009, 04:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks great.
The table looks very tall or are people sitting down?

René,

They're standing up. When we were building the horses, we used the height that we thought would be right for the table - the standard height of a desk. Only problem is, we measured it from the corner of the table at the highest part of the garage and the garage floor slopes away slightly on two planes from there. The result is that the side where the driver stations are (and particularly the last station) is where the floor is lowest relative to the table, so it ended up a bit taller than ideal. We have some short guys driving (at 5' 7" I'm one, but some are shorter and then there are the kids who also race at times) and one recently suggested dropping the table a bit. That is a possibility, but will involve cutting the horse legs and extending the cables, so it can get technical.

Gordon

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (taxi @ 6 Aug 2009, 05:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice looking track Gordon, really looks like fun to drive. Great atmosphere in some of your pics too!

cheers,

Rob

Rob,

Nearly missed your post there! It is a great atmosphere with friends and family gathering weekly for the fun we all know slot racing is. Some of the guys have mentioned that they really look forward to Thursdays now.

Were you able to add FRC to the tracks index?

Gordon

·
Tel
4,125 Posts
Track looks like it would be great fun, nice layout

QUOTE (ggonsalves @ 6 Aug 2009, 13:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We have some short guys driving (at 5' 7" I'm one, but some are shorter and then there are the kids who also race at times) and one recently suggested dropping the table a bit. That is a possibility, but will involve cutting the horse legs and extending the cables, so it can get technical.

Or you could build a step bench, might be easier

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.