SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I've got a track 4m * 2m in the loft and since my diy/creative skills are zero I was considering getting some fake grass matting with pile length of 9 or 10 mm ( i know that makes it scale size of about a foot but it will sit roughly flush with the track surface)

It looks as though its made of plastic. The problem is that it is a uniform colour so I was wondering how easy it would be to make it varying shades to look a bit more realistic.

I was going to dress it with trees, sponge rocks and sponge bushes/hedges when laid to help break it up a bit. I might even add a few buildings.

I realise it will never be a prize winner but wanted an easy and quick way to make it look better then bare chip board.

Any ideas would be gratefully accepted

Cheers

Stephen

·
Tore
1,692 Posts
You could spray paint it (preferably do it outside), any cheap green spray paint should work. Get one can that's slightly lighter than the mat and one darker.

You can also sprinkle on some static grass or ground foam (Woodland Scenics, Heki, Noch, etc..) where you want some more details on the mat after you have installed it. Fixate it by spraying some Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement over it a couple times, or mix regular woodcarpenters white glue 50/50 with water (it will dry clear).

·
Registered
91 Posts
hi crazy , where do i start, ok, firstly, i'm a newb to scalextric, but when it comes to being inventive and making things from nothing, i'm in the zone, i made my track before even seeing there were grass matts you could buy etc, and at the last minute i tried one, i thought the colour was boring and continuous aswell, so all i did was lighly dab a few shades of different paint mixed green colours yellows etc and smugged them in so as not to leave a distinctive edge to the change of colour, i also added mud to break it all up...bottom right you will see a change of colour, that was a felt tip pen smudged, the other shades dont really show on my camera pffff

there also is a better option which i used, and that was a 12 inch moss look basket liner made by nortons around £1.50 to £2.00 depending, you can get similar types from most hardware and flower shops, but this one i found looked most realistic out of them all, now it comes round obviously with slits cut into it, so all i did was cut certain shapes and married them up when sticking them down, you can overlap them to hide the joints as it does stretch and become thinner, i used acrylic to stick them down , you can also trim the grass shorter with hair trimmers lol... when you first see it, it has slightly long bits attatched at the back weaving through it all in places to help hold it all together, just pull them out... heres a few pics of what it looks like

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

Ive ordered a sample so I can try out the methods on that so see wht's going to work best.

Your scenery looks great Pinhead69, I won't be getting that detailed (at least not yet).

I'll get some of the basket material too to see how it compares. Can you remember where you got the grass mat in the first picture as that looks fairly flat and I should really see how that compares to the 1cm pile.

Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
thanks crazy, i got it from here crazy http://stores.ebay.co.uk/northwalesmodels
there are different shades....also gravel...
as for the scenery, rocks etc, its so quick and easy to do with my method, to be honest most people could do it
when painting the rocks, i covered it all in one shade of light grey ordinary houshold waterbased wall paint , then while wet, i added a little black to the grey making it much darker and dabbed into the cracks holes etc to mimick shade, then with a clean brush just dab around where the colours meet, it blends it all in, lastly where edges protrude and stick out etc, i just put streaks of white onto the still drying paint , and again a little dab here n there.. job done, to paint that whole section showing on the 2nd picture took no more than 10 minutes truth........
the mud is just 151 brown window frame sealant from most pound shops, its more like acrylic, i just put bits here and there then spread it with my fingers, the non artistic you are really the better it looks, i also added dabs of different shades of brown paint to the mud and smudged it with my fingers.... from start to finish the whole track building from boards to end of scenery, took 3 weeks.......good luck with the testing

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have some of this Grass mat but never got around to using it. Seemed like a cool idea because you can heat it and make hills.

I usually just use the model railroader method, some ground florist foam in various colours and a bunch of diluted carpenter's (PVA) glue. Messy but it works.

Randy

·
Registered
947 Posts
Hi Crazy,

I think you are considering using the Grass from a garden store that's for lawns? If yes, I would suggest you check out all there colours as they do an Autumn shade that would give you mixed colours. Another suggestion that might work is the square carpet mats / pieces. They come in all sorts of shades and would probably be easier to 'scenicify' (!) than the longer grass you are considering.

Michael.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the extra suggestions

I shoud point out that to fit a 4m * 2m track in my small loft meant putting it on the foor up to the edge of the roof where the roof slope meets the floor (well it stops about a foot or so short to allow me to put a virtical barrier to catch cars and still allow ventilation). This means that for track maintenence I have to climb into the middle of the tracj hence looking for a durable solution (at least for the area in the middel I need to kneel on) So the approach of scattering foam on would only work at the edges where I won't ruin it.

There aren't really any elevation changes so virtical rocks aren't going to fit but thinking about it, they might look quite cool as a border down one of the sides or at the back. Hmm, going to have to try to picture that.

The gravel mat is also looking appealing as I have made a very poor attempt at making the technical end of the track into a "rally appearance" by painting the floor brown and then speckling two different shades of green on it but as it has no texture it doesn't look great. I may need to re do that area either with gravel mat or using the suggestion of sprinkled on foam of varying colours (grey/brown/green?)

My head is spinning with the options lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (MICHAEL D @ 31 Aug 2011, 14:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Crazy,

I think you are considering using the Grass from a garden store that's for lawns? If yes, I would suggest you check out all there colours as they do an Autumn shade that would give you mixed colours. Another suggestion that might work is the square carpet mats / pieces. They come in all sorts of shades and would probably be easier to 'scenicify' (!) than the longer grass you are considering.

Michael.

Thanks,

With regard to shades, I was trying to be tight and not pay triple the price for the better looking grass and they only seemed to do that in even longer pile but I will keep shopping around.

In respect of scenifying it I hadn't thought about it but I think what your warning me of is that to site a building, I will need to "shave" the area first to get it flat. Yet more to think about!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts