SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

Most motors such as the Scaley are "FC 130S" motors.

The Fox, Falcon, Cheetah are all "FK-130" motors: slightly lower as the brush connections are from the rear rather than on top. The magnets are approximately the same. Bushings the same. Arms are the same in construction.

The timing due to the brush mounting system is 90 degrees from the other.

I cannot comment on the SCO wind. The Falcon wind is some 95turns of 33 guage wire resulting on stack wind of 1 ohm.

Fate

·
Registered
398 Posts
The Falcon motors are distributed by JK products here in the US.

The lastest iteration of the Falcon is black ink stamped on the pinion end of the motor below the bearing with JKIII and is rated at 46,000 rpm.

They have been very consistant in performance here and the guys racing them weekly have gotten to like them. I have gotten 7-8 races out of a motor, pushing a 100+ gram flexi chassis around under very hard commercial racing conditions before slow down or failure.

A very hot motor for home racing conditions.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Falcons are truly hot in these little cars! They need four amps minimum so if you have wall warts, it's a good time to upgrade. Nets around the track would also be adviseable!

Fly on!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well its a club racing car, club power sups are the kelvi light ones (RS something)
im running a sc07 and loving the acelleration from it (8/28 gearing) but i want a little extra oomph on the straights... i think an extra 11000 revs will solve this lol
its going in a fly evo, the people with nc6 have got equal straightline speed as me but with less acelleration... hmm... this should be interesting!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Andy Brown Searle at abslotsport can supply you with the Falcon III (the latest incarnation) for £7, the older Falcon II (which is slower but still a massive improvement on most of the motors being used for uprating Scalex) is only £4. BUT... you will have to solder a metal pinion on, the shafts are not splined.

Coop

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Even the Falcon 1 is more than enough to put into Scalex type cars, don't have any figure's for the motor though.
Both the Falcon 1 and 3 are timed for normal slot car application's, looking at the pinion end the motor will rotate clockwise, the 2 is timed the other way but can still be used without problems with only a small drop in perfomance.
[oneofwos]

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
QUOTE They have been very consistant in performance here and the guys racing them weekly have gotten to like them. I have gotten 7-8 races out of a motor, pushing a 100+ gram flexi chassis around under very hard commercial racing conditions before slow down or failure.

The Falcon was issued in 4 versions:

-Original issue was recalled because its copper brush holder were not treated properly. They are maked "JK" and only a few are still around.

-Second issue "Falcon II" is marked "JK1" and has no mechanical problems. However, both these Falcon motors as well as all the Mabuchi and Plafit motors are designed to run clockwise when seen from the commutator end.

-The TSRF motor is of the same spec as the "JK1" but is installed in the TSRF chassis to run in the correct rotation.

-The "Falcon III" is the same basic motor but with the following alterations:
1/ 5 turns off each pole.
-New timed commutator forcing a counter-clockwise rotation, thus making it more suitable for sidewinder use in American flexi-style chassis.

NONE of the above is manufactured by Mabuchi or one of its subsidiaries.

We have run TSRF motors for as much as 265 hours without failure, however about 1% of all the Falcon or TSRF motors will fail within minutes. I have myself run into about 1/2 dozen such failures, so they do happen.
Most motors last at least 25-30 hours and if a reduction in performance is observed, a simple drop of VooDoo on the commutator will generally bring it back to life for many more hours (I can already hear the cries of "HERESY!!!" here).

Running a Falcon or TSRF motor on a home-racing car is possible, but difficult at the now standard (stupid but UL-Labs dictated) voltage (16-18-V) supplied by most home packs with hardly any current. Falcon-TSRF motors run great at 12-V and 4A power, and we run our home-racing cars at 9 to 12V depending on how twisty the track really is and if traction magnets are used or not. Falcon motors require either a 25-ohm or an electronic controller to perform properly.
In any case, the regular home-racing cars CRAWL under "such low" voltage, showing the difference in EFFICIENCY of the "S" can motors vs the "FK" motors.
The exception is the Slot.It V12 which runs very well under 12V.
Regards,

Dok Pea

·
Registered
398 Posts
Excuse me Doc P! I tend to disagree with your description of the Falcon JKIII, The newest version. It does run very much quicker in the Clockwise direction as opposed to many of the Falcon JKII's. I have run here.

The Falcon JKII's Which I got, I found to run better counter clockwise to the point of my modifying my flexi chassis's, since we can, in our vintage class we run here. I have the motor mounted with the pinion on the reverse side of the normal Flexi chassi. In this setup they just ran away with the guys running them in the normal chassis setup. This was discovered by some one close to JK who told me. Now the new JkIII's are back to normal clockwise operation at least in my situation here and others. So I have to revese the motors again now, when I use the new version.

But then it is only my opinion based on my limited observations..

Your milage may vary as they say.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have had the same experience as Larry. The Falcon JKII and JKIII are the same motor except for the timing. JKII is designed to run fast in the counter clockwise direction while the JKIII runs best in the clockwise. I beleive the timing on the JKII was a mistake.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
QUOTE I have had the same experience as Larry. The Falcon JKII and JKIII are the same motor except for the timing. JKII is designed to run fast in the counter clockwise direction while the JKIII runs best in the clockwise. I beleive the timing on the JKII was a mistake.

QUOTE Excuse me Doc P! I tend to disagree with your description of the Falcon JKIII, The newest version. It does run very much quicker in the Clockwise direction as opposed to many of the Falcon JKII's. I have run here.

Larry, LS, this is exactly what I said, read my posting again but slower this time. the earlier motors were not timed (zero-degree comm) but were wound to run best clockwise AS SEEN FROM THE COMM SIDE. The new JKIII has a TIMED comm forcing the motor to run best COUNTER-CLOCKWISE as seen from the comm side.
If you go to the Mabuchi website, you can actually see the arrow on the can pointing in the direction of rotation, opposite to what needed for flexi-chassis operation.

Also Larry, the JKIII are NOT the same wind as the JKII or TSRF: 5 turns per pole have been removed from the arm, making the resistance slightly lower and the motor slightly faster than previous issues.
Regards,

Dok

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well Doc P; I just never refer to the motors timing as from the comm end as it is not the driving side, the pinion end is the working end of the motor and thats how I intend to drive the chasssis with. The comm end is usless for drive train work

Endbell driving motors are not the best way to go in my opinion for any motor, anymore, maybe in the 60's but not now.

And yes I agree the Falcon JKIII is a faster motor than the others in the proper direction. You could use those Falcon JKII's in your Tsrf chassis.

Symantics here I guess !!!

Larry S.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Hi Larry,
Indeed, timing has always been described as from the commutator side, regarding of the driven side, since the early days of slot racing. This is why today, ALL pro-racing arms are described as CCW, despoite that seen from the spur gear it appears to be clockwise.
As you said, "semantics"...

QUOTE You could use those Falcon JKII's in your TSRF chassis.

We are using the exact same motor. If you mean the JKIII, we could of course, but have no intention to do so because the cars are plenty fast enough the way they are now, and we are not running speed contests, we are trying to run good and fair races. Besides it would make the cars WAAAAAAY to fast for home-racing use.
So they are slower than Flexis. So what? At least you are not demolishing one body each time you run a race.
Best regards,

Dok

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Sheez, guys! Don't you all just stick a tweezer through the cooling hole, grip the comm and twist it to advance it by a few degrees? I thought that everyone did this with 'box stock, sealed motors' racing!

Kind regards

Russell

1 - 20 of 27 Posts