SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Does anyone know of a company selling Scalextric (or other) compatible track the represent famous racing corners. (Spa's Eau rouge, Laguna Seca's corkscrew, Istanbul turn 8, ...)

Somehow, it is difficult to mimic these with standard Scalextric track pieces when it comes to slopes or best trajectory.

It would be nice to be able to include these in a track layout and use standard track pieces for the rest of the circuit.

I guess these could be molded with glass-fiber to make them extra-resistant, no ?

Cheers,

Dany

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Scalextric produced the Goodwood chicane as a separate track accessory. It's based upon the real corner.

Scalextric also makes a generic hairpin curve.

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
Scalextric (or other) compatible track the represent famous racing corners
You need to to a lot of butchery to get a custom corner out of plastic track.

Routing what you need and dropping it in to your current track is a more obvious solution?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I agree with portals - a routed track section is the solution.

One big routed section is probably the best way to go, track joints are more work so don't have more than necessary. Cut a piece of plastic track in half and make them the ends of the routed section - that way you have the connection to join up to the plastic sections of your track.

Routing allows complete freedom to make any size of bend and straight you want, you are not limited by the standard radii,angles, straight lengths and lane spacing of plastic track. SlotForum has plenty of advice on building routed tracks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for your replies.

A routed track section is a lot of work, that's why I was asking about an "out-of-the-box" alternative.

But if a lot of work can't be avoided, you can make a mold of the section and produce a number of samples, and maybe you can even start a business!
Scale boat modellers are using fiberglass to multiply their home made hulls.
If such sections were available off the shelf, I would probably buy some.
The nice thing about small individual track pieces is that if you have enough of them and some space, you can alter your layout as often as you like.
For me, each new layout is a new experience. I just want to spice it a little with some tricky and famous corners.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
To be honest for me none of the options you put in offer much. Scalextric do chicanes in both corner and straight and while not exactly yours, you would get very close with standard track. I got rid of chicanes as I run a very small track and pqassing takes a few laps so a chicane does not work for me anyway.

I suspect if you needed a very complex rapid change in gradient and camber it may not be that practical as the car may not be able to take it. Routing would limit the complexity anyway as it's only from a flat sheet so has the same problems. It is possible to put quite complex bends into Scalextric with care and somwhere on the web there are videos on how to do this effectively.

The last option is 3D printed as they are capable of producingf practically any shape but it would be all too easy to make a piece that a car would not run over. I have 3D printed both boarders and a Pit Out section that is a pit out that joins the inner Track of asn R2. This has been opperating on a rug race track effectively and simply so 3D printed track is a valid possibility even for rug racers. Elsewhere there is a correctly fprmulated banked curve, again its not possible to get it exacltly right without 3D geometry.

Personally Greg K's corner list is really all you need unless you need special length or something really novel like the R2 pit out. Though not useable on mjy track, a pit a "Dumb" short Crossover for a pits allowing cars to leave a pit and enter the pit lane may be possible for instance.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Along time ago, probably 2012-2014, there was a guy who listed his layout in the track and scenery forum who was cutting Scalextric track to form all sorts or interesting pieces. He had 1.4R, m2.5R curves, 3 lane crossovers and lots of other non standard pieces.

·
Tore
1,861 Posts
Imo corners like Eau rouge, Corckscrew, etc. needs a bit of space to be fun to drive and not just for looks, so doable with standard track pieces if you have the space.

Scalex/sport track is kind of pliable and can be shaped lightly to create more rapid elevation changes, dimps, jumps, twist etc.. use 2-3 mm thin wood sheets (mdf, shelves backing, etc..) as track underlay, then shape and fixate underlay and track. The track is easy to shape by rolling it back/forth over a bottle/rolling pin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.