SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts

A question I propose: Is it worth manufacturers producing fantastic small-segment luxury cars?

An example in case is Proteus who are about to release the Bugatti Veyron. The Volkswagen owned, Bugatti has developed the Veyron powered by a formidable 16 cylinder, 1000 hp quatro-turbo engine. This car is bred from a prestigious line and includes some brilliant engineering. You can bet though that they won't be selling this down at you local VW dealer.

This is a stunning car, but it is so exclusive and won't make it onto the race track, so do you think that it will have much success as a slotcar? With what competition would you run it with on your slot-track?

I think that it is very cool and will probably get one for my collection.

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Urgh!

Fantasy liveries, concept cars and 'street' versions will find no home in my collection.

I think Rowan Atkinson, he who owns a McLaren F1, had some very disparaging remarks about this one when he was shown it recently. And didn't it fall off at the first corner when out on track in front of the general public at Laguna Seca for the first time?

I'll pass.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I am quite sure this one will sell quite well, if it is made to the same standard as the Murcielago and I am absolutely confident that it will be. It will be a great follow up to a fine car.

Sales are unlikely to be as high as for some cars because of the preponderance of strange people wo don't like racing 'street cars' (God only knows why not) or buying what they call fantasy liveries. I say strange because slot car racing is a REAL sport in its own right, not a dreamland where we fantasize that we are driving a real car! Maybe some of you do? But then who is the fantasist in that scenario? Think about it!

Never mind all that - this is a car with scintillating 'presence', whether full-size or scale model and I like it a lot.

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
What's wrong with a bit of fantasy? How many people using this forum actually race 'real' full size cars? So a lot of us are, to some extent, living out the dream of being a racing driver!? I'm probably gonna get shot for saying that!

But I have very little chance of ever owning a Viper, Porsche, Lamborghini or a Bugatti, so to have the chance to own a 'working model' has a strong appeal. If the Proteus Bugatti is anywhere near the quality of the Lambo, I will definitely buy (at least) one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
"not a dreamland where we fantasize that we are driving a real car! Maybe some of you do? But then who is the fantasist in that scenario?"

Just call me Mr. Fantasy, Meco, because I think your statement describes me perfectly. I am attracted to the historic aspects of motor racing and couldn't care less about modern cars, whether they are on the street, track or ballroom floor. I am not a purist building only historic cars with accurate period-specific liveries, but the main appeal for me has always been the chance to suspend disbelief and be the driver, owner, designer, engineer and mechanic for a stable of the most beautiful and fastest racing machines ever created, albeit in 1/32 scale.

Actually, I find it curious that you question this approach to the hobby. Aren't nearly all hobbiests engaged in miniature model making partaking of a fantasy of one kind or another? The only slot enthusiasts I can think of where this might not be true are the very competitive, speed-is-everything winged thingy racers. Since they aren't racing replicas of real cars, there is no viable connection to the world of real motorsports. They could just as well be running pod-racers from a Star Wars movie. I have a hard time considering any slot racing a "sport" though.

mp

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE I have a hard time considering any slot racing a "sport" though.
Why not a sport, Michael?
If not a sport, then what?
I don't know a hard and fast definition of 'sport' myself and I think there is a tremendous overlap between sport, game and hobby. Maybe other terms could be used too.

It's interesting to see and maybe understand where people draw lines in these matters. For instance, I imagine virtually no one would have a problem with full size motor racing being described as a sport. Starting from that point, how small does the vehicle have to become before it changes from sport to hobby? Or is it a matter of the driver having to be IN the vehicle rather than outside of it? Or both? or something else altogther?

I understand Meco's point regarding fantasy and I have to agree with it - there is no hint of criticizing fantasists, only amusement that those who really are the TRUE fantasists ( thanks for admitting it!) describe a colour scheme that they haven't seen before as a 'fantasy livery'. It really IS rather topsy-turvily amusing!

As for the Bugatti - I LOVE it! Couldn't care less whether the real one can race or anything else. If Proteus make a good job of it, I will have one, definitely.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sport or not...

This is just off the top of my head, but I would probably not consider most leisure activites a sport if they did not involve some degree of physical exertion, training or manual skill. I suppose you could claim slot racing at its most competitive level requires considerable hand-eye coordination, but then so do video games. Are they also sports? For me and I think the overwhelming majority of people engaged in this hobby, slot racing means playing with toy cars. Sure you can be nuts about it and build or collect only the most precise representations of every car that ever turned a wheel at Oulton Park, or conversely, bash the hell out of RTR cars on your living room floor. But the pasttime remains primarily a pleasurable hobby, not a sport.

mp

About the Bugatti, it sure has a cute little butt -- reminds me of the Lola GT -- but that nose looks like a Hoover or an ant-eater. Whats up with that?

mp

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
The recent releases from Proteus are of superb quality. Mistakes made on the Pregunta were rectified resulting in a superb quality car which looked great and performed well on the track, however sales of the Lambourghini Murcielago in road trim will never be as good as those of a thorough bread race car in full race livery. Thats why most manufacturers produce very few road going or concept cars. I would rather see Proteus put their expertese & effort into cars which we will all see on race tracks around the world wether that is modern or classic. Slot.it are a great example, as a relatively new company they have chosen the Porsche 956/962 as their new car for many reasons, it had a successfull race history as a real car and will also be a winner on the slot car track. The opportunity for various repainted liveries is extensive and will allow purchases to choose to wait for their prefered version(s) to be released.
IF Proteus produce the Bugatti i'm sure it will be a stunner but would you buy more than one colour? As a relatively new company Proteus need to sell huge quantities of cars to break even, sadly with concept cars i doubt if this will work.
Sean

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It does seem that the majority want to buy models of cars that actually raced.
Yer all fantasists!

But I applaud Proteus for their guts and individuality in producing cars that are different and ORIGINAL! Only one concept car so far - the Murcielago and Veyron are real.

As a matter of interest, Proteus do have a web-site but it has been under construction for as long as I can remember
(and that's more than 10 minutes sometimes!)
Proteus

How would this be for a concept car?

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
QUOTE ...preponderance of strange people

I think it is a 'whoop' of strange people. Not a 'preponderance.' (Quote the reference anyone?)

I'm with Sean on the street cars. If a company wants to make the moolah then they ought to be making scale model racing cars to hit the masses.

I'm with Speedy on the sport issue. I hate to break it to you like this guys, and I'm going to be gentle with you all here... but... we play with toys.

And maybe you don't all think the same way as me, weird concept, but I play with these toys because I'm never going to be able to play with the real full scale ones, but I like to think I could.

Sure, that makes me a fantasist.

But please, no fantasy liveries. That's just silly.

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Tush sib.

QUOTE Hey Wankel, If someone released that Rx7 in your siggy, would you buy it if it were a pink road car?

Er, no.

Somewhere about this place I think I said I don't like "street" cars. Am I not making myself clear... again?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
QUOTE This is just off the top of my head, but I would probably not consider most leisure activites a sport if they did not involve some degree of physical exertion, training or manual skill

Missed this before, but slot racing involves physical exertion, training and skill

The physical exertion? Well what do you do when your car comes off? You run to get it dont ya? And if you want to go fast then you tend to make your finger work more.

Training? Well scalex ARE releasing Challenger!!

And the skill well blatantly learning how to not crash at every corner and learn the limitations of your car!

Inte.

p.s Wankel I have a pic for you just need to get some more camera batteries!

G

·
As a former pro racer who was paid very good money in the 80's to race for slot companies I would say slot racing is a sport. I know a large number of the slot racers
I have meet have raced 1/1 cars myself included. So slot racing can be what ever you what it to be including a job.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts