SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
We are racing a new class at the Pantyffynnon Slot Car Club tomorrow evening.

Ninco1 American Muscle with some permitted tuning. SSD digital.

I made a few internal modifications...

The only problem is there were 6 different cars available and 9 of us - so some of us volunteered to do a relivery.

I started with this...

Soaked it in Meths and the paint came straight off.

Got some cheap self-print decal paper from fleabay (will NEVER buy the cheap stuff again - too much wastage)

Bought some DAYGLO yellow paint (it is SOOOOOOO BRIGHT!!!! the photos do not do it justice)

And came up with this... hope you like!

Should be easy to keep track of this on the raceway

·
Greg Gaub
15,415 Posts
Nice relivery! Also, thanks for showing the inside of the car and the chip bracket you made. Very clever. I'll be interested to hear how that holds up to racing.

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your kind comments everyone.

The Camaro hasn't raced in this livery yet - tonight is its first outing - sunglasses are now in the toolbox!

I didn't use a white undercoat - the car is moulded in white plastic so I sprayed straight onto the plastic after keying it with Astonish Oven & Cookware Cleaner (like wet 'n' dry in paste form!) and it seems to have stuck really well.

I applied 3 light coats of the dayglo paint (it is Halfords own brand "fluorescent yellow"). I then sprayed a light coat of clear acrylic gloss before I applied the decals - the fluorescent yellow is matt and that would make it hard for the decals to slide for positioning and probably compromise their grip.

I will finish it off this morning with a couple more light coats of clear gloss to seal the decals.

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Might be worth having the diodes uprated ....... think of it like KERS

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
I would have thought a bigger capacitor would have been more like KERS.

But do you mean to beef up the braking? I assume a higher rated diode would close the circuit tighter to maximise engine braking - or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Sorry - my electronic knowledge is very small but I am willing to learn

The rules of our club say standard SSD chips (I don't want to overload the standard PSUs on the APB seeing as it's mine!).

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
thats got my attention. i rip the capacitors out, if the car hasn,t got lights. i,m totally ignorent about electronics, so what does the capacitor do to the motor brakeing. sorry mr modifier to go off topic, but sounds though your as interested as me. john

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek
....... by uprating the diodes from 1A to certain 3A ones you get an extra 1.4v or so delivered to the track. These more efficient diodes mean that less energy is lost in the conversion from AC to DC. Standard Scalextric diodes are marked FS 1A

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
Hi John, I don't mind going off topic if it's interesting!

Greg - that's a shame - I thought I was going to get some insight into why some motors have worse brakes than others.

The diode upgrade is interesting but if everybody did it and put super powerful motors in my APB would melt! Keeping the SSD chips standard means that anybody running too hot a motor pays a tenner or so each time they blow their chip!

Richard

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Impressive change - makes mine look very plain now.

QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 28 Aug 2012, 22:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Got some cheap self-print decal paper from fleabay (will NEVER buy the cheap stuff again - too much wastage)Can you give us the reference to that so that we know what to avoid as I was about to go for some ebay stuff.

QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 29 Aug 2012, 17:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Greg - that's a shame - I thought I was going to get some insight into why some motors have worse brakes than others.I've been curious about this for a while and finally got round to googling it & learnt a bit from here: Link
Although the discussion is more about torque & watts, they speculate that, apart from the gearing and weight, the braking is related the power of the motor's magnets and the length of the armature: "Braking works by forcing the coil through the magnetic field which generates a field. Thus it eats energy". More copper = more braking.

It also gets into discussion on advancing the timing, but that's for another day (& thread).

Back to the topic - doesn't all that weight up front slow the car down, especially as the Ninco 1's seem fairly evenly matched?

Chris

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
QUOTE (chris99 @ 29 Aug 2012, 17:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Impressive change - makes mine look very plain now.
Thanks

QUOTE (chris99 @ 29 Aug 2012, 17:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can you give us the reference to that so that we know what to avoid as I was about to go for some ebay stuff.
Sorry - I bought it some time ago. It came from China and it was very cheap. The instructions call it "water transfer paper (light)". Next time I will go with a branded version.

QUOTE (chris99 @ 29 Aug 2012, 17:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've been curious about this for a while and finally got round to googling it & learnt a bit from here: Link
Although the discussion is more about torque & watts, they speculate that, apart from the gearing and weight, the braking is related the power of the motor's magnets and the length of the armature: "Braking works by forcing the coil through the magnetic field which generates a field. Thus it eats energy". More copper = more braking.

It also gets into discussion on advancing the timing, but that's for another day (& thread).

Back to the topic - doesn't all that weight up front slow the car down, especially as the Ninco 1's seem fairly evenly matched?

Chris
Thanks for the link

I may have gone overboard on the weight - it hasn't raced with these modifications yet - it will in about 2 hours time!

We have a couple of hairpins on our track and a couple of R2 bends where the rails are a bit low set in the plastic. One of the hairpins causes many of the cars to go straight on (I think it has a slight dip as you enter the bend) unless they are braking early (i.e. transferring weight to the front).

It could be that the extra weight allows me to tackle these three difficult elements quicker than unweighted cars and maintain my momentum - hopefully making up for the slight loss of acceleration on the long straight. I will find out later!

I have plan B - take the rivets out and put a bit more blu-tack in. This is why the weight is blu-tacked in and not hot glued - it's all trial and error at the moment.

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Josh.

I have just got back from a full night's racng. There were 5 of us so self marshalling was the order of the day. We ran 100 or so free practice laps to set fastest laps. As all 3 camaros and both mustangs had been tuned in some way we all knocked between 6 tenths and one whole second off our out the box but magless times.

We ran fuel simulation and 3 endurance races and 3 grand prix. My car won 4 races and came 2nd in the other 2. Result! So to answer the question did I add too much weight? No. The other cars had tweaks but no extra weight so I stayed in the slot the most and posted fastest lap of the night.

I guess I got lucky and hit a winning formula. The others are adding weight up front for next week so I expect the racing to be really close. I need to find another edge.... Now where is that list of rules....

3 guys have yet to pick up their cars - they are going to have a bit of catching up to do!

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
Hi Josh - here's a video of the yellow peril in action!

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/izUemP4pZgk?rel=0

If you watch the car throughout you see it appears to be faster than the others and will regularly switch lanes to overtake. Yet when you look at the fastest laps times we did in testing it wasn't any faster than the other cars. All I can think is that the paint job makes it so easy to see on the track and to "read" how it is behaving during the race that it is easier to drive it fast. None of the cars - including mine - match their fastest laps in the heat of battle - people are too afraid of the time penalties of deslotting.

I'm becoming a fan of high-visibility paint jobs as a driving aid!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts