SlotForum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will come as a shock but I've decided to give up slot cars. There are many reasons for my decision and it hasn't been an easy one or one taken lightly.

I've found it impossible to find a suitable club room for my track and the Ninco one we bought 18 months ago. Even if I did, the responsibility of turning up once or twice a week and maintaining the tracks, repairing cars, and running the club is just too daunting.

My time is even more limited than it was a year or so ago and budget likewise.

I don't have the space any more at home to work on sections of track or even scenic items and there is certainly no space for a private slot track now that we have converted the stables into an apartment.

There just doesn't seem to be the local interest in slot racing. Even the clubs show little interest

The local club in Perugia isn't organized enough. Andi and I went to a club night there and found it had been cancelled. They told me afterwards that dates of future club nights would be posted on their website, but they never have.

I've been very passionate about slot racing for six years now, promoting it whenever possible as the real alternative to computer games, open to all ages and even disabled people. However, my motivation has expired and I realize that running a club and events like the Mini Mille Miglia are an uphill battle. Had it not been for the great guys coming over from the Isle of Man this year the MMM would have flopped. It would have just been Tom, Andi, and myself with about a dozen cars.

There are other personal reasons but I won't bore you with those.

I've made a lot of friends through slot forum, the MMM, and racing in various places, especially the great bunch of guys at Early Birds, and I'm feeling very sad and emotional. I think I have contributed a lot to SFI and tried to make my postings helpful and entertaining, sharing ideas and encouraging others to try different things. The help and support that I have received from people I've never met, designing posters, making items for the track or donating a vehicle have been awesome.

So, I shall be selling off most of my cars and the track will be sold, given away or dismantled. No Mini Monte Carlo Rally next year and no Slot Calendar 2012. The imminent SCX round on my track will not be held and the cars will be sent straight on to the next round at my expense. Sorry guys.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
What that bloke above me said... in spades! We haven't entered some sort of time loop and gone back to April, have we?

Damn!

No doubt not an easy decision to make Graham. Hopefully you'll not withdraw completely. But still.... damn...

Colour me surprised.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I know I've not been here long and don't know you that well but I always got the feeling that you are held in high regard by all who know you.

I'm sure this decision was made with a very heavy heart but I wish you good luck with the future.

You will be missed.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Graham. Although we have never met I wish you all the very best for the future. I have enjoyed reading your posts on SF.

It justs begs the question " Why are we now getting so many of our greatest SF contributors leaving the hobby, there must be something adrift somewhere"

Just hope that some time in the future you return to this great hobby.

Mike. Presto Park. UK

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hi Graham
I cannot believe this I thought you were here for life mate.
You have done some great things on here with great know how.
I only joined last year and the first thing I done was to read your build
from start to finnish without stopping it was fantastic best ever .
Was hoping to come over to Italy to look at your track
and hope to meet and stay with you .
Hope you will pop back now and agian.
All the best regards ade

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
Graham, this is indeed extremely sad (and very unexpected) news.
I have been following your posts avidly since the first steps of the detergent bottle trailer.

Of course you have a business (or businesses) to run, and all the physical and mental energy that demands; sometimes you have to prioritise
And I can sense that you are an "all or nothing" kind of guy.
Perhaps you just tried to put too much into it. I am sure it is hard to maintain high level enthusiasm when all about seem indifferent.
But given your history, I sense you will be back at some time. I hope you carefully wrap your favourite cars and store them in some safe cupboard ready for the renaissance.

I do hope you will find some way to host your pictures so that your legendary track will remain accessible to folk on this forum, for it to continue as an inspiration to newcomers.

Very best wishes for your future endeavours...and bountiful olive crop.

Cheers,
Tom.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Graham,

This is a real shock and a big loss to the Forum and the slot car community worldwide.

Your posts and events have kept many entertained and have provide valuable information and guidance.

Good luck and thanks for the time, effort and support you have given us all.

Philip

·
Giacomo
667 Posts
Graham,
this is a very sad news! Of all the "boys" here in SF you are the last one I would have thought would gave up slot cars...
I understand it must be difficult to take such decision seeing your devotion to the sport.
We will all miss your spectacular and instersting posts and moreover the dream to be in Italy partecipating to the MMM!
Now I seriously regret to not have done more to be there this year.

All the best mate. I hope we'll have the chance to meet one day just to shake hands with a slot car myth!

Cheers,
Giacomo

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Totally shocked, I thought the title was a typo.

We seem to be loosing some big names recently.

As with everyone here I wish you the best for the future, your track was one of the most amazing I have seen on here.

I hope it goes to a good home.

·
Ian
99 Posts
Graham are you sure!
Who's wall can I graffiti if you're not around?
Who's going to sell "Shakin' Stevens" songs ?
Just one more brick

I can't help seeing this as a bit of a trend of late, I know we will always have people leave the hobby but there seems to have been a few "personalities" drift away recently.
Life has all kinds of twists and turns I wish you luck in the future Graham

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
BIG surprise Graham,

I have enjoyed your work, track, topics & posts and you will be missed. Good luck with whatever your up to in the future your always welcome here track or no track.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up Graham.

We are all going to miss you and your contributions.

Having met you at Early Birds, I could sense the enthusiasm, and this is most unexpected.

I do know how it is though, with business and personal life. I have been in and out for those reasons myself over the years.

I sincerely hope you can come back some time, and don't sell your cars old chap !!.

Very Best Regards Chris A.

·
Phil Clayton
889 Posts
Graham,
It was with great sadness I read your post. Although our paths have never crossed and our slotting interests lie in different areas, I have always read your SF posts and been enlightened or inspired in some way.
Slotforum will be a greyer place without you.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that at some point in the future your enthusiasm returns and you'll once more indulge in the hobby of miniature motor racing.
Good luck in your endeavours.

Cheers
Phil

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
I am going to miss you Graham. You have always been a great contributor and generous with your sage advice. Hope you get homesick and come back soon.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.