Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
Hello all,

There was a thread yesterday on Crash Barriers from BexhillSlot and in it I said I would post some photos of the Faro Barrier roll I bought and some info. I thought that it might deserve its own thread. I hope that is ok.

I found this stuff searching the web as I need a realistic but functional looking barrier for my hill climb. http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54069

The cost per metre is 2.50 EUR including VAT and 2.10 EUR without VAT. Here are photos of it, front and back, pictured against a Scaley Sport barrier:

The shape of the extrusion is quite good although a little angular in comparison to proper Armco and the Scaley stuff. I also find it to be rather heavy looking as there is no gap between the upper and lower runs of Armco. The colour is excellent.

I have never seen Carrera's white or red version so I am interested in anyone posting images to see how they compare. Overall I think it looks good if you are standing in a normal position racing slots. (I realize that these photos are making it look less realistic than it really does.)

Here are photos of the barrier loosely set up:

In order to make it more road like and less race track, I plan to cut the strip in half and mount it on Evergreen Styrene 4mm posts . I will drill holes in the track every 5 cm to set the posts in with glue. I tried a couple of different adhesives to attach the barrier to the styrene and found hot glue works excellently:

I am pretty positive about the outcome but am keen to hear suggestions and criticism.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Good idea to set up a thread titled 'Barriers' for this. Excellent solution in my opinion. And no gaps or ugly connections between the pieces as its perfectly continuous.
What exactly is it and where can one find it ?

·
Marc Abbott
1,912 Posts
They also make what appear to be cheap but interesting cars

A Skoda single-seater for instance.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Humm, very interesting barriers and thanks for the link abbo. I think I'll have a go and see if they work well for my needs.
cheers

·
Marc Abbott
1,912 Posts
I used to "make" my own with good old fashion metal curtain rail... didn't look too bad.
Simply screwed the length in place using the kit provided. The "mounting" posts did need a bit of paint and card to hide the screws though.

I would guess it would have a similar look to the FARO variety.

ABBO

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for the photographs and the information. Our club will have a close look at this as we have just got to the stage where the track has been laid and the bridge is constructed. John has been busy with our jigsaw, making track borders out of 9mm MDF (and what a b****r it is that Ninco track is not 9mm but somewhere between 8.7 and 8.85mm, and so the sander has had to be brought into play).

Crash barriers will have to be attached to the outside of the MDF borders and so your info regarding fence posts is really useful. I am still irritated that we have not been able to source any packs of red & white Ninco armco barriers but no-one seems to be able to get hold of them for us. We were going to go with Ninco track borders until we looked at the price. Wow! Talk about wallet-melting moments.

If we go with Faro, I'll post some photographs and let you all know how easy/time-consuming it all was. Thanks again.

Martin

·
Marc Abbott
1,912 Posts
Re the track borders for Ninco...

At Burnt Oak, we also thought them expensive so ended up only buying corners... we did manage to find mdf at exactly the correct depth and cut it into sections for the straights.

If I remember correctly (and it was about 5 years ago), the mdf was from FOCUS DIY.... but they have gone down the pan
(Unless there's some stores still left open clearing out old stock).

ABBO

·
Registered
258 Posts
QUOTE (abbo @ 11 Jun 2011, 10:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Re the track borders for Ninco...

At Burnt Oak, we also thought them expensive so ended up only buying corners... we did manage to find mdf at exactly the correct depth and cut it into sections for the straights.

If I remember correctly (and it was about 5 years ago), the mdf was from FOCUS DIY.... but they have gone down the pan
(Unless there's some stores still left open clearing out old stock).

ABBO

Hi Abbo,

The problem with the MDF was that we had some which was exactly 9mm but the Ninco track (all brand new) varies in height - hence the sander. Even buying corners was going to cost the proverbial arm and a leg.

Martin

·
Registered
82 Posts
This information on the Faro barrier could not be more timely for me. thank you.

Not quite as good as the scaley, but I think I can work with it. I have been waiting to find longer length roll stock, so this is it for me.

I just orderred it from the Faro site, minimum order is 30 Euro. However, they must contact me with postage and such to process credit card information.

We shall see. Price depends on the length you order. 2.47 per meter for 3 meters or more.

I will let you know how this turns out.

thanks,

John

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
Scaley is very realistic but I think that Faro works well if you separate the upper and lower rails. My close up shots make it look worse than it is and I shouldn't have zoomed in so close.

John make sure you are not paying the value added tax (VAT). As you are taking it out of Europe you should not pay. Its not a lot of money but if you are like me everything counts. You should be paying about 2.10 EUR. per metre. I did end up paying the VAT because an email with the correct amount didn't make it to me.

FYI - I bought 9M at 2.45 and payed a total of 22.05 EUR - no 30 EUR minimum. I also payed 17 EUR postage.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
QUOTE (abbo @ 11 Jun 2011, 10:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I used to "make" my own with good old fashion metal curtain rail... didn't look too bad.
Simply screwed the length in place using the kit provided. The "mounting" posts did need a bit of paint and card to hide the screws though.

I would guess it would have a similar look to the FARO variety.

ABBO

Yes, that was called Harrison Drape. I've not been able to find it on the web though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks Slots for the advice.

I figured it should be VAT free, but was not certain.

17 Euro shipping, yowzers, thats a bit. Still, I am buying around 14M of it, I wont probably find anything cheaper. I have been trolling home stores and the like for years and have not found anything that would be workable.

For concrete walls, I am going to experiment with adhesive backed foam tape. By sticking two pieces that are 1.5" and .25" thick together, it might form a nice concrete barrier wall. If the paint fills it up like I think it should, it might be ok. I will let you know when I have a go at that.

I have not heard from Faro yet. I received a email after completing my order, but, there was no way to pay at that time. I assume they will contact me with more information.

I agree, separated it would virtually be identical to Scaley. I have some ideas on that, if I can just get the stuff into my hands !

I will let you know how this goes.

j.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re the discussions about track thickness and MDF, I've gone the other way around for Scalextric barriers. Track does vary in thickness a fair bit, but I use a thin strip of cardboard in the slot on the underside of the track pieces (where borders and the like normally click into) to even things up and match exactly to standard 9mm MDF. Only challenge is some of the digital crossover sections which are more than 9mm thick, and there I just add card under the MDF.

·
Registered
873 Posts
QUOTE (Graham Lane @ 11 Jun 2011, 18:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes, that was called Harrison Drape. I've not been able to find it on the web though.
Trust Mr Lane to come up with the name of this " old" product
well done, Per

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well,

it's been a few days trying to contact the folks at Faro. thus far, no reply.

I am using the email addresses from their web site.

If anyone has any idea how to contact them, something I am not doing, please advise.

thanks,

j

·
Marc Abbott
1,912 Posts
QUOTE Trust Mr Lane to come up with the name of this " old" product well done, Per

I think I remember the type of shop too... old geezers smelling of something like turps and when you ask for something they always manage to find it out the back, no matter what.

QUOTE it's been a few days trying to contact the folks at Faro. thus far, no reply

I have emailed MRE about Faro asking what they're all about etc etc... and no reply from them either

ABBO

1 - 20 of 25 Posts