SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps, hope you can point me in the right direction, I'm attending a race soon which is a once a year event involving a 4 lane copy of the Suzuka Grand Prix circuit. (UK)
Could you recommend a car for a team of 4 amateurs to race given only half an hour practise, which is going to stick to the track fairly well but give enough speed to allow for a bit of skill? (Must be F1)

The car which won last year was the Scalextric Toyota Sport (do the sport versions of these cars really have a decent advantage, as there appears to be a fair few 2004 cars out but no sport versions)

Any advice much appreciated including any car setup tricks/techniques I may be able to use,
bearing in mind we only do this once a year, although a bit of fun and for a very good cause it is still extremely competitive

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, SCX cars are fine, it's just I used an SCX Minardi last year and the Scalextric Toyota wiped the floor with it so I was a little disillusioned with the SCX...
Thanks Gareth, I may give it a go

Cheers, John

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Hi London Boy

Must admit i thought you were asking for recomendations for all four cars.

That said the SCX should be OK, it will be slower at the top end speed, but you will have better control through the corners and better braking.

What will make a big difference is running in. When you buy your SCX car, pop the motor out, oil it well and run it in. i.e. conect it to a transformer and run it a low power for and hour, clean it, re-oil, run it again for another hour at high speed, repeate this about 5 times, pop the motor back in to the chassis, oil all the bearings, axle mounts etc, etc and your car will perform much better.

Don't forget to sand the tyres true also.

All the above is IMHO, we race Super magnet F1 at my club, with magnets and the modern SCX F1 cars are pretty unbeatable.

Good luck

gareth

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I really hate to say this, but if you are allowing magnets (which I suspect you are), then the best thing will be a Scalextric Renault...

If it's without magnets then a Ninco F1 is the clear winner.

mclaren

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, anything goes as far as magnets are concerned, would that be the 2003 Renault? And do these cars take a lot of setting up with the positioning of the magnets?

Thanks a lots for you input guys, much appreciated

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you like Scaley and want speed, the Lolas are tough to beat. The only motor difference the "sport" versions have is a sticker on them. They come with brass axle bushings on a centerless-ground rear axle so they should be smoother. I haven't noted any speed advantage over their normal counterparts.
Cheers!

·
Registered
265 Posts
OOps! Sorry. I missed the "must be F-1". Hmm, well, the new Renault is very fast on our track! They are a bit on the fragile side in crashes though, so maybe you should carry a spare front suspension in your pit box?
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
QUOTE Or, more simply, just don't crash...

Easier said than done, my Renault was racing fine until plowing into a stationary car from a previous wreck.

By gum, they are fragile...

Thankfully, the Nose cone did its bit (flying off into the next village) it's a shame the front suspenstion mounts, cockpit and rear spoilers didn't... all either cracked or snapped off.

It was only one crash! *weeps*

The Renault is a very quick car, although I haven't raced against Jexy and his infamous SCX Jaguar yet, I am not sure how they compare, although I secretly think the Renault will win... more horsepower and erm, lightweight (all the bits have fallen off) yuck yuck yuck...

Jamie

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Renault's are quick but there is 1 slightly modded car that many people will agree will beat the Renault's.If your using magnets.
I have no explanation why its so quick but buy a Scalextric Jordan from about 3 years ago. They are on ebay for about £15.
Pull out the Softcore magnet and put in a new style one.I used a Fly rectangular super magnet in mine.

I promise it will beat a Renault or a toyota. You will also find it to be alot more sturdy. As I've broken tons of bits off my Renault but my Jordan still stays together.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
If it is box standard, which I feel sure it must be, then our club experience is that the Scalextric Toyota was unbeatable until the Renault came along and now it is top dog. Not sure why this should be so but it is. it could even be partially down to nice bright colours! It might sound silly, but being able to see your car clearly in a sea of rather dull McLarens and Williams on a dull black track is a small but definite advantage, NOT to be dismissed.
The SCX Jag is good, but our experience is that it isn't quite as good as those two.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If it doesn't have to be an F1 Car, you could use the SCX Dome Judd, Slot It Audi R8C, Porsche 956. I don't know much about F1 Cars because I think they are all the same-same framework, body, spoiler. Whereas rally cars have a lot of variety. But people like different things so I'll leave it be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts