SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeff Davies, author of Built With Passion, The Story of Rail Racing has asked me to post the following pictures on his behalf:

The first two shots show a beautiful Maserati Birdcage built by Steve Francis and the third, a Cunningham C4R built upon a restored US built rail chassis from the 1950's.

Perhaps Jeff could fill in some of the missing details...

G

·
What I thought was, their are so many pictures we took for the book it would be fun to post some of them that did not make into the book.

I love the picture of the Birdcage on the bricks but the background make it unsuitable.

The Cunningham is the picture has the most wonderful history.

The chassis is the only know chassis made out of MRRC brass rail and is an early original American rail car chassis which was restored by John Moxon using original parts. The chassis was given to me by Don who found it in a box of parts he had bought off Ebay. The body was made by Chuck with real passion.

Jeff.

G

·
The wonderful Mrs Ve Whitbread raced an almost identical 'E' type rail car and used it to win the National Sports Car Championships in 1962 The only woman to win a national final. Her car was also white.

Their is a picture of her holding her 'E' type in the book standing next to Walkden Fisher.

Jeff

G

·
The 'D' Type is an original 50's rail car was saved only days before it was due to be put in the bin alone with other rail cars and rail car bodies. All were saved thanks to the research being carried out for the book.

In the book (page 38) is a black and white picture of the Jaguar on Pete Mell's rail track.

The Ferrari is a former Dave Day car.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Here are two pictures of one of the most successful rail racing cars of recent times:

This lovely model was built by Charlie Fitzpatrick and tuned by Jeff Davies.

It won the inaugural rail race at the Brooklands event driven by Charlie and also the first Abergavenny Rail meeting raced on that occassion by Jeff.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Those cars have so much character. Rivet counting?! They just look great. Lovely lines, and real pride in the making, I'll bet. Inspirational.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More goodies from Jeff!

These are pictures of an original rail car body built up using a very early slot car chassis converted to rail.

This lovely shell was only days away from being committed to the the bin along with the D-type Jaguar shown earlier in this thread!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE Who can list the drivers which raced this car?
I'll start the ball rolling with Tazio Nuvolari and Louis Chiron although I doubt that's enough to win me this week's three-armed jumper

Incidentally, an example of this wonderful car can be seen at Donington. Here's a piccy snapped on my last visit:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
No more suggestions? Where's Dennis David when you need him? Ah well, do I get the three armed jumper then Jeff?

Here are two of the slot cars Jeff bought whilst preparing his book:

So, todays question is...

Who built these cars?

I hope Jeff knows the answer 'cause I don't

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
The top one is a Birkin bently dont know whos shell mine has louvers and the petrol caps arnt as big
Cant say what the bottom one is

G

·
Both cars were built by a very famous works slot racer, think early 60's the blue car won a major concours event.

Jeff.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
The bodies look to be fiberglass and made by the same hand, at a guess i would say these cars were possibly made by Ken Stokes, probably totally wrong!
[oneofwos]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts