SlotForum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Edit:

Stopped for a beer.
Mr. Robinson the welding and steel metal instructor would be proud if he is still with us. His teachings all came flooding back. Eventually
By the third cardboard one Make that the fourth
think I should have it. Not sure I want to make another toolbox though

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in the initial cardboard practise stage of making a Scalextric fender bender bonnet/hood. The shape is more complicated that it would first seem as the bonnet is sloped so the bend line is at an angle and not straight.

Dose anyone have one they could wrap a piece of paper around for me to get ta rough pattern?

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
The above as you can tell was in a moment of frustration. I am trying to emulate this.

QUOTE You should hopefully end up with something like this...

Now its just a case of measuring, cutting and filing the sides to fit the chassis.
The more time on this stage the better the result.
It took me ages on the first few to even get them nearly right!

Hopefully you'll get something like this...

Taking ages is un under statement. As I don't have an original and am working from scratch, 5 cardboard ones so far but I think I have it. Now practicing the bending . Only 3 duff ones so far.

For the record the height of the front of the bonnet I believe is 10mm. That is as close as I have managed to get buy juggling the car and a straight edge. and by scouring the net for a picture that can be scaled. . The front "grill" is sloped back by 10 degrees. If I build a car with a "conventional" guide I can slope the grill at a more acute angle and further bac. Just like the "real" cars

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi,

If you get desoparate, I make resin copies of the Fender Bender bonnett, but postage might make it too expensive an option. PM me for more info if interested.

Graeme

·
Registered
913 Posts
The problem I had was getting 2 equal bends in the plastic card right.
I was just cutting squares out the right length then marking the bend lines on and heating the lines to allow the plasticard to be bent, once you've got that bit sorted its just trimming and filing to fit.
Of all the bonnets I done, no 2 were the same! But they all looked ok when fitted and painted to the car.

Theres definately a market for these!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts