SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Kevs Racing Bits
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received this today, got it for a great price.

A Monogram Ferrari 250 GTO 1964 static kit, it's 54mm wide so perfect for our Small Sports classes.

The plan is to draw up a 3D chassis for it, must be inline for our class rules (54mm is asking too much to get a SW in a plastic chassis anyway).

It needs a few missing decals, a 3D printed driver and navigator will be in residence.

Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Tire

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Car Vehicle Wheel Hood Automotive design

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Kevs Racing Bits
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really nice chassis! That's your design?
Yes, drawn in Fusion 360 from scratch. It's an empirical evolution over 18 months. I've gone down the all-in-one chassis with flexy pod route, I've gone down the two piece chassis/pod with pod design like nothing else out there route...but never 100% happy, you just can't beat a SlotIt pod...or pod of similar design.

I have chassis for SlotIt SW and IL pods with the same basic chassis layout. I modify the wheelbase and sides to suit whatever bodyshell I need a chassis for.

My favourite filament is CF-PETG which is fairly rigid and easy to file with a diamond needle file.

Kevs Racing Bits
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An update. First tests last night, 250 laps and I'm mostly happy. The NSR Shark 25 is too much even with power turned down 40% a SRP 20k short can would be a better bet and a much smoother power delivery.
You may notice the motor is marked '+' and rotation direction...I can't tell you how many times this has been useful.

I designed an IL pod for this, it's 3D resin printed in the same resin I print bodyshells in. It's designed to take SlotIt spherical bushings and has an adjustable axle height which enabled me to raise the axle to lose excess rear ground clearance.

I'll fill the pocket at the front of the pod with lead as that's what it was designed for and remove the three small pieces at the front.

This will go in our 'Small Sports/Saloons' class which is for cars with 54mm max overall width across the tyres and 9mm wide tyres. This bodyshell isn't quite 54mm wide but the tyres inside the bodywork are about 52mm across the tyres.

Few club members cars in this class get round under 7 seconds, this managed consistent 6.6 seconds, I have a couple of quicker cars but it's 'up there'.

Toy Sleeve Spider-man Elbow Helmet

Office equipment Gas Auto part Cable Electronics accessory

Vehicle Car Hood Tire Wheel

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Hood

Gas Toy Motor vehicle Machine Office equipment

Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Tread

Red Bumper Gas Auto part Electronic device

Kevs Racing Bits
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice work, should be quick.
It's pretty quick but as it's losing 2mm track width to cars like AC Cobra, Chaparral 2C and King Cobra none of which has a roof it's 1.0 to 1.5 tenths slower...but they don't look as cool :cool:

re member
Nice result, Kevin.
That body was very popular in the IPS for a few years.
Why grubscrews on the top of the rear bearings?

Reactions: Kevan

Kevs Racing Bits
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I designed an IL pod for this, it's 3D resin printed in the same resin I print bodyshells in. It's designed to take SlotIt spherical bushings and has an adjustable axle height which enabled me to raise the axle to lose excess rear ground clearance.
(y)

Reactions: munter
1 - 14 of 14 Posts