SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...

Since a few days a was thinking about a car that I recieved from an aunt when I was 6 years old. I don't know anymore why she gave it to me, because it's 20 years ago. Maybe I played with the old cars they had left overthere, and I could take it home. I remember I didn't like it then. It was old, it was plactic instead of metal like my other cars, and it had a stupid thingie that scratched the ground when I played with it... A few days ago... I thought it could be an old slotrace-car...

Today I found the time to search my parents attick... and guess what... searched all the old car-boxes... and I found it!!! It lay there, just like I remembered. And yeah... it is an old slot car... in quite a good shape... but without guide.

On the chassis is incripted:

Jouef for Playcraft
Ferrari 250 GTO
Made in France-Patent

Some pictures:

The wheels turn:

the inside:

Do you guys know anything about it?
Do you have oldies like this at home?
How old would it be?

And does anyone have an idea what kind of guide these things had?
I'd love to drive it around the track...

G.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
An ususual find!
I have definite memories of Philippe deLespinay of TSRF posting about Jouef cars some time ago - maybe a year or two back. He drops in here most days, so let's hope he sees this. It's possible that one or two others have some knowledge too - maybe Don Gersh?

(I added "Jouef to the topic title to attract attention!)

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
Hi tDI,

I have a Jouef Lotus "Formule 1" amongst my bits and pieces. The motor and running gear look very similar to your Ferrari. So the guide may have been the same too.

Here are some poor pics

It's quite small, about 1/40, and I'm not sure what voltage it runs on, so you may need to find out before you blow that lovely little motor with axle bracket to bits.

Actually, I'd quite like to know what voltage it runs at coz I've got a Subaru 360 Arii kit thats going to need something fairly small to power it! Then I could send the rest to you for spares.

Mr.M

edited to resize pics

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ Mr Material UK:

The GTO is also quite small! Maybe it is 1/40 too.
When I could make the car run, I would start running it on a low voltage (I have a regulated power supply). I'll try and find more info about these cars!!!

Can you show me a bigger picture from the guide please? Then I know what I'm searching for!!!

Thanks for the offer on the spares!!!

G.

·
Administrator
9,906 Posts
Bingo!

You came to the right guy Don Gershon (hence dgersh) Siegel, American in Paris, all singing, all dancing, etc etc...

Good timing too, because I knew some basic facts, but a month ago the monthly toy collector magazine did a cover story on Jouef!

Jouef has a very large place in the French slot racer's heart, because it was the affordable version of Scalextric, and very widely distributed. Jouef cars are very easy to find here and not expensive, except for a few rarer models. They also work surprisingly well, although there's a wide variation in performance capabilities.

Jouef came out in 1963, and was produced through the early 80s, although the cars became simpler and uglier over the years.

The Ferrari 250 came out in 1964, in various colors, and also a lighted version. Like all the early cars it had steering; in fact they kept this until sometime in the 70s, when the tires got wider and the front wheels became fixed.

Playcraft produced (or imported) these under license in England and a company called Eggar did the same in Germany. Don't think they were exported elsewhere... not in the US in any case.

The first two cars were a very nice E-Jag and Mercedes 300SL, in both hardtop and convertible versions. The Ferrari 250 GTO was released next along with four F1 cars. They are listed at 1/40 by the way, but the F1s may have been closer to 1/36... In 1971 they came out with the electronic lane-changing version, Jouefmatic, along with banked curves and all that high-performance stuff we demanded at the time!

The guide was a simple blade type, and it had a clever pickup system, originally spring-loaded metal wipers, and then sort of the same, but with conventional type braided contacts added on. A picture would be nice here, but don't know how yet...

Anyway, if anybody needs any more info, etc. please contact me. Some of the parts I may have, or if not I know a dealer down in Bordeaux who probably has a lot of the spare parts....

Don

·
Registered
86 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Material UK @ 14 May 2004, 09:50)Hi tDI,

I have a Jouef Lotus "Formule 1" amongst my bits and pieces. The motor and running gear look very similar to your Ferrari. So the guide may have been the same too.
Yes, I have the GTO in my hand (but no digital camera at the moment) and the guide is exactly the same of the Lotus F1.

Ciao
Otello

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Note to Don
I have 'known' you for years, Don, but that's the first time I ever knew your full name!
Sorry about the little mistake but at least I picked the right guy!
I knew you or Philippe would have this one taped and many thanks.

·
Administrator
9,906 Posts
Yep, these were the ones marketed in England by Playcraft as Champion - not to be confused with Champion of LA either - it was a very popular name for slot companies!

Did Jouef export to other European countries too, besides England and Germany?

Tropi, figured it was time to put my full name in there to clear things up. Don Siegel is also a famous director (at least to the French), and I get a lot of comments on that in cinephile Paris...

Not sure that Philippe ever deigned to play with Jouef - I think he went right into the rewound 26Ds, right Philippe?

I was going to say it's hard to imagine the hold that Jouef and Circuit-24 had on the French, but I guess it's pretty much the same as Scalextric in England. There's a fairly steady market for the good Jouef cars here, less so for Circuit 24, but Circuit 24 is still kind of the generic name for home slot racing...

Jouef actually inspired one of the few French books on slot racing/collecting: Le circuit dans le monde de la collection, since it was by a collector who started with Jouef, and that was sort of the pivot of his collection. A very "sympathique" book and a good source on the many manufacturers in Europe - where else would we have heard of National Toy, Ites, etc?
Don

·
Registered
1 Posts

12 years necro...I started my hobby with Jouef at about '65. Jouef had a good footprint in Finland until Scalextric stomped on it. I still have my first car left - the green Lotus F1, like this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.