SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Found an airfix kit of the 250lm in a model shop, very nice and acurate painting on the front. Saddly they did more research on the painting than on the pattern for the model, hey ho.

the front was very square, on the right I have started to file it curved. It has ended up a little to square, but better. Also the sides dropped straight down with none of the curl-under (similar to gt40s) that the car should have... lots of filler and sandpaper later...

A number of other things that took ages needed to be sorted out, and the roof iss still to tall, but it looks ok.

The wheelbase of the kit is tiny compared to anything else, the only thing similar was a Caterham 7 - but they don't have a chassis as-such. Also I wanted a sidewinder, since there was room, and then I could keep the full interior. Ended up using a sawn-off new mini-cooper scalextric chassis

two halves epoxied together with the pins from pop-rivets

Ninco classic wheels, Halfords toyota super red, and some Klear later:

my first conversion went ok and pretty succesfully in the end - though the cost of the various chassis and bits, i might as well have bought a RTR racer! Still I had fun, and am pleased in the end

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Astro, I know this is your first "build", but it doesn't look it! Very nice end result!!

Shame that so many of the Airfix kits require so much effort, but it's great to see them when people make the effort to correct the flaws!

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Excellent Astro....looks really good.

As for chassis.........Take a look at the EJ thread.....they will fit.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE the cost of the various chassis and bits, i might as well have bought a RTR racer! Still I had fun, and am pleased in the end
...thing is astro once you've made a few cars to that kind of standard you start looking at your collection in a whole new light. The Scaleys and Flys are nice and might even look better but they don't give you that mooshy warm glow of satisfaction that you get from something you built with your own two hands (or three in howmet's case).

This is a picture of a 250LM I started myself:

Would you credit it, the picture is dated 1999 and the car still looks exactly like that! Seeing your lovely model might just give me the spur I need to build it - well, maybe if it weren't for all these darn proxy cars!

So, how about trying your hand at one of those 60's F1's next?

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE The Scaleys and Flys are nice and might even look better but they don't give you that mooshy warm glow of satisfaction that you get from something you built with your own two hands (or three in howmet's case).

QUOTE So, how about trying your hand at one of those 60's F1's next?

I'm leaning on him JP, I'm leaning on him! Patience!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol Fergy! Those F1s look like REALLY scary projects and I am impressed with the skill that is going into those. One thing I liked about this one is that it is only one colour! I can just about manage paint jobs like that.

Yup John, thats what I started with, hope to see the results of your one soon!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Astro.... grasshopper..... chill and think.... Patto's MJK-30 chassis.... Body of yer choice.... paint as you did (Ferrari's are all red!)..... instant proxy entry!

Easier than reworking an Airfix kit! You don't even have to destroy a room to build one!

I'll work on you yet!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Very nice. It is always a nice feeling to finish a project, and a even better feeling when you start a new one.

Mark

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Great stuff, Astro. I started my Airfix Ferrari in nineteenhundred and frozentodeath, and it still doesn't have a chassis under it.
And get in the groove with an F1- like the man says, a Classic or Pre-Add body doesn't need half the work that Airfix washing-up basin does, and all one colour? Try British Racing Green.... (yellow stripe if feeling brave)

·
Administrator
4,888 Posts
A brilliant first build Astro and very ambitious as well with the bodywork alterations.

David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts