Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It actually started life as a Scalextric Ferrari B2 that I did not think represented the real car very well. But after looking at it, I thought it might make a good starting point for a 312 B. This was before I had ever heard of the Classic range of F1 shells.

It is a clam shell type body so I stripped it down, glued it together and cut out the bottom for the chassis, right now a beardog F1, but I'm giving consideration to making my first one.

The wing is from the original car and I cut the wing bracket from brass.

Once I found out about the Classic range, I did order a 312 B but I like the look of the Scaley body better so I went with that one. I did cut the rear off of the classic to use the radiators

Hopefully it will capture the look of the original 312 B and I'll post more photos as I progress.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's no secret that I'm fond of the Beardog chassis. Unfortunately, they are not cheap. But what I realy like about it is the fact that you can use a full driver and the suspension details. So with the suspension in mind I trid to create a jig to mimic the bottom plate of the Beardog chassis and incorporate that into a scratchbuilt chassis.

This is just an early mock up and while it doesn't have the precision of a laser cut chassis, I think it just might work.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Now that is cool, Jay, and neatly gets around the only thing I don't like about the B'dog chassis- the square section 'suspension arms'!

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Well done Jay!

I wish that my first chassis looked as good as that!

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Other than a few minor details, the chassis is pretty much complete. It didn't take long to realize that a third hand sure comes in handy when soldering.

Out of curiosity, what do you use for most of your soldering? After struggling all day with an iron, I attached the front axle holder in a few seconds using a mini butane torch.

Now it's time to get back to the body.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a quick update. Most of the major things are done just a few details left. Still have to paint the front wings, drivers helmet, the figure is a beardog figure with a fly head, and decal. The radiators still need some work and final painting. I originally grooved out place for the gearbox but it didn't stick out that way on the real one so I have to rebuild the battery back in place. Hope to have it complete by the weekend.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Other than a few suspension details still to work out I finally finished the 312 B. All in all I thought it turned out OK. I'm not real keen on the rear radiator detal but I sort of grew weary of it.

Hope you like it.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Jay, you have me inspired, I wil have to redo one of my old 312's minto something along those lines! Well Done

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the comments guys!

Mesher, that's one cool tool. I defintely want to try it.

Jonny, please make more short circuits.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Alan. As far as the matra goes, I'm having trouble breaking out of the Ferrari rut. I just started on the ugly duckling Scaley 312 T.

·
Registered
968 Posts
QUOTE (jhardy33 @ 24 Jan 2005, 18:40)It actually started life as a Scalextric Ferrari B2 that I did not think represented the real car very well. But after looking at it, I thought it might make a good starting point for a 312 B. This was before I had ever heard of the Classic range of F1 shells.

It is a clam shell type body so I stripped it down, glued it together and cut out the bottom for the chassis, right now a beardog F1, but I'm giving consideration to making my first one.

The wing is from the original car and I cut the wing bracket from brass.

Once I found out about the Classic range, I did order a 312 B but I like the look of the Scaley body better so I went with that one. I did cut the rear off of the classic to use the radiators

Hopefully it will capture the look of the original 312 B and I'll post more photos as I progress.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts