SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought this book:

Font Sportswear Art Electric blue T-shirt

Although not exhaustive it is a great summary of the teasm over the years with some great photos....

This one in particular stimulated me to dig out a couple of the DNQ shells I have stashed away safely for just such an occasion!

Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Military person

I have the JPS and the Brabham in the photo so thought it would be nice to add a couple more.

After a bit of hollowing out underneath and a bit of sharpening up, not to mention cutting off the gearbox areas the shells looked like this.

Automotive design Automotive exterior Plastic Metal Composite material

Gesture Wood Automotive exterior Rectangle Plastic

Hand Gesture Wood Auto part Plastic

Rectangle Fixture Wood Composite material Aluminium

Attachments

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
It definitely makes water go down the plug hole the other way round, so it could effect photos !!! Also all the stars are the other way up.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The ferrari 312 b3 story is long and interesting from the short wheelbase spazaneve through to the early 74 car which had different bodywork to the scalextric spain late season car love to see you produce them all any news on the possible release date of the policar 71 312b2 yet?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well nobody has offered help with how to turn the images so i'll continue in the upside down ;).

So the two shells from Simon are quite different, the Tyrrell is among his finest work. Really precise with nice angled corners. The Ferrari, the real one that is also had very hard edges so i've spent some time taking off the slight radiuses to get that straight edged feel.

Both are however as accurate as I could hope which is great. I remember someone telling me the Ferrari was overscale but that is not my expereience....

Wheel Tire Vehicle Product Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

I spent some time hollowing out. Have I already said that? To lighten them too and make sure the gearbox and chassis will fit snugly.

As has been mentioned the 312B3 story is a long one and strange because the cars all got called the same thing! Anyway this is going to be the version from the French GP.

Having got the bodies roughly sorted (but in no way complete), I like to turn my attention to getting the rolling chassis sorted so I can design the rest of the car with the body on its wheels. This, in my opinion, helps get the stance right and allow all the components to work together.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
So, obviously i'm using my Policar gearbox (from Maurizio) and universal chassis (from Shapeways).

What I tend to do is measure out where the front axle will be and drill a hole through the body. When assembling, measuring and re-measuring, this becomes a datum point where with the axle inserted through the body and chassis one can mark out and trim both.

The Tyrrell moved forward first....

Trigger Bumper Air gun Gas Automotive exterior

Wood Bumper Automotive lighting Tints and shades Automotive exterior

And once the chassis was trimmed and screwed together to the correct wheelbase the Hewland gearbox and DFV parts were assembled, trimmed and then resin bonded to the body in the correct position.

Green Engineering Auto part Machine Plastic

Attachments

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My current supply of wheels and tyres for this historic period is Nonnoslot. He is doing a rnge of cars from 1974 and so has the correct size wheels and tyres (more or less). Hopefully when the Lucky Strike Lotus 72 come on line Policar too will have the right size and profile but until then Marco is my supplier....

Now they have arrived both cars are up on their wheels.

More to follow.
Andi

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
What are you using to take your photographs with ........ an iphone by any chance??

Reactions: munter

·
Registered
63 Posts
That Ferrari looks very cool - I am looking forward to seeing what you do with it and the ( to my mind ) best looking four wheeled Tyrrell :)

( In fact I might have to have a go at the Ferrari myself when the March is done )

Your work is always worth seeing, and I learn something every time I see a build here - I will be nicking the datum point idea.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
If you're using an iphone, you need to hold it the right way up, which I'm told is with the volume controls facing downwards.

A quick search will tell you more if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i'm using an ipad and with the button at the bottom as you say everything would be portrait.... i have the button to the left since the flip up cover (that is designed for use with the ipad) but maybe it needs to be to the right?

Oh well i'll have to do some more tests!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Pictures can be easily rotated

Using mac you can use a variety of programs including paintbrush

In windows when you use image viewer there is a pair of arrows to rotate images.

In case that didn't get addressed

1 - 20 of 46 Posts