SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So progress has been limited since the initial cleaning up of the bodies. Fact is they still needed a huge amount of work:

The Ferrari has had front wings added. I have made these somewhat thicker than they should really be so that I could feed two 0.81mm brass rods through them and through the nose. This should help with frontal impacts that these sorts of wings are particularly vulnerable to.

I have also formed the engine air intake scoops although these aren't completely finished and need hollowing out.

The car's nose has been thinned from beneath as I felt the intake was too deep for its width. It is possibly still slightly too deep but will have to do.....

To achieve this I glued in a piece of plasticard, filled around and then sanded the whole thing upwards by about 1mm.

Progress on the rear end has been slow. I realised that I can use the engine and gearbox that I designed for the Policar Ferrari 312B2 so I am getting one 3D printed. It should be here next week....

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Toy

On the Tyrrell progress was at a virtual standstill after two abortive attempts to get the 'F-duct' looking 'sting' to the air box tail! I just couldn't get it right and then realised that I need to position the rear wing first and then I can use that as a datum.

I have found it difficult to find time to take on such a large job as building the cantilevered rear end but I got up really early on Easter Sunday which gave me 3.5 hours before the family got up!

This gave me time to organise myself.

I have built the structure using brass rod, gluing into the gearbox top and soldering together the parts.

Automotive design Handwriting Toy Font Engineering

Once the main A frames were in I decided to fabricate the rear wing sides from brass and then finally decided to make the whole wing bottom in brass too. This will be topped with some nicely formed plasticard to get the final top wing profile.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Table Material property Engineering

Rectangle Wood Amber Flooring Material property

Circuit component Space Vehicle Aviation Aircraft

The final assembly once soldered up gives a very rigid structure which should bear any rear end crashes.

Hanging all that off the back of the gearbox meant I needed to find a way to stop it breaking off at the back of the body. Having fabricated the water bottle I decided to use a 1mm brass tube, bent to look a bit like a flexible pipe, to run from the bottle forward to pick up the main engine heads. Once glued in it will make the rear end much stronger and should be enough to absorb crash damage.... I hope.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Well, off on holiday for a week so will have to pick it all up when I get back.

Cheers
Andi

Attachments

·
Gordon Steadman
6,888 Posts
Pictures can be easily rotated

Using mac you can use a variety of programs including paintbrush

In windows when you use image viewer there is a pair of arrows to rotate images.

In case that didn't get addressed
Preview is a standard part of every Mac and it takes a second or two to rotate, flip etc.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So after a bit of a break i've been pushing on wit these builds....

The Tyrrell has had a lot of work to get the airbox looking right. It was too small in the original so I had to enlarge it considerably and give it the undercut so it has that distinctive shape.

I then had time to put some blue paint on it. A couple of areas are less than perfect but i'm going to continue.

No decal sets exist for either of these cars so I need to buy 5 sets from two different suppliers to get them all! A bit costly but there it is.

The driver is also in the Tyrrell, probably Stewart but not sure yet.

The Ferrari is also moving forward. The rear gearbox is all resin bonded in with some brass strengthening.

Automotive exterior Wood Electric blue Auto part Plastic

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Sports equipment

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Toy Motor vehicle

Cheers
Andi

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Excellent work Andi, both are great cars from that era.

Are you keeping your future Policar Grand Prix purely for RTR like this year or are you considering including this specification of car as well or as a separate class?

David

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi David

Thanks!

On the race, yes I would very much like to open up to Policar gearboxed [sic] cars.

My heart is very much leaning towards a bit of hand building....

I suppose based on this year's experience there are a number of options:

One race mixing the cars (experience shows it is not easy to get scratchbuilt versions going faster than the Lotus 72). CSCRA classes could be matched to the 1970/1971 cars that will be available up to that date.
Two classes run on the same day (albeit shorter heats, maybe 3 mins instead of 5).
Two classes, one on Saturday and one on Sunday, both therefore relatively long. This would remove Saturday as. Public / Practice day. I don't think the public racing was that interesting this year so would have no issue removing that next time. It was mainly children wanting to run their Hamilton car this year!

There are many pros and cons which I am happy for people to debate. It would also mean that cars by people like Nonnoslot would be eligable provided they were matched to the right class.

Best wishes
Andi

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Agreed Jeff, but will the cost put some people off?

Entry into the museum is an extra cost that most meetings don't have.

Would that limit attendence? Clearly quite a few people came for both days this year but just checking it wasn't too much....

Andi

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Work has now progressed on the Ferrari.... the fact is that when there is so much space between body and cantilevered rear wing there is a lot of detail that needs to go in!

After seeing the amazing detail that David Mitcham has created in some of his builds at is years UKSF I have been stimulated to try hard to make things look as accurate as possible.

So anti roll bars, top links, shock absorbers, oil radiators etc. Have all been fabricated and added. There is also half an eye to ensuring that the rear wing is well connected to the body in the case of a major off....

Circuit component Cable Electronic component Jewellery Electrical supply

Circuit component Electronic component Cable Electrical supply Metal

Circuit component Machine Nickel Passive circuit component Fashion accessory

Circuit component Lamp Electronic component Adapter Cable

Now ai can give it all a bit of a wash, check the body for last minute imperfections and get some primer on.

Oh but yes there is still the FRONT suspension to sort out..... arrrggghhhh.
Andi

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
That is great work!

I remember seeing the Tyrell at Mosport in '73 - Stewart's last GP. By then Ickx and Ferrari had parted and Merzario was driving the car that, in '74 and '75, would be so successful for Lauda and Reggazoni.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
That's wonderful work Andi. Calculating all the geometries and clearances and tolerances and materials selection and fabrication techniques and jigging and assembly order...and on and on and on...I hope it is as satisfying to build as it is to look at. Thanks for showing the details.

Matt

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks guys, it does help when i'm having a nightmare with painting....

Well i've made some progress on the Ferrari although the Tyrrell has been painted twice it just isn't good enough so i'm gongi to try again!

Its the two tone masking etc. That gets me. So hard to get completely right.

Anyhow got some shots in the garden this morning:

Automotive lighting Automotive design Asphalt Toy Motor vehicle

Plant Toy Motor vehicle Asphalt Wood

Cable Plastic Asphalt Composite material Carmine

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Toy Automotive design

Best wishes
Andi

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Looking even better now it has been painted.

It would be very nice if there was a class or a separate race for these alternative bodyshells running with Policar mechanicals at next year's UK Slot Festival but judging by the small number of comments earlier in the thread there doesn't seem to be that much interest in the idea.

David

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The Tyrrell is also moving forward. The decals are a mixture of Pattos and Indycals. Just the clearcoat still to go on this one.

Car Vehicle Tire Motorsport Racing

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Automotive design

Front suspension and wing mirrors for both cars next....
Andi

Attachments

21 - 40 of 46 Posts