Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gregory Petrolati
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a couple photos of my Ferrari 312P project. I think it's about finished now that it has the BWA wheels with home made inserts.

Enjoy!

Greenman62



 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,887 Posts
The wheels are spot on Greg. Please share your wonderful 'vette and Healey with the forum as well.

David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,593 Posts
Yup, BWA. Quit plunkin on that ol'banjo and git to work.

Whut does a banjo player in a suit say?
Gud mornin, Judge.

Whut d'ya call someone who hangs around with musicians?
A banjo player.

I don't get them either. I play sax.
 

·
Gregory Petrolati
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE Those wheels look great! howjadooit?

`Sorry for takin' so long to get back to you all... `

`Been away from home visiting relatives in Pennsylvania for the annual xmas get together. Ya gotta love having Christmas in June! My wonderful mother-in-law presented me with a Maxi Models Surtees Lola T160TS kit for a prezzie...


After I was through drooling I got a bit scared at the shear complexity of it all!

As for how I did the Ferrari wheels...

I took a BWA 32002 wheel with a steel axle stub (always have a few of them laying about) sticking through about 1/16th".

I liberally coated the inside of the wheel rim and stub with a mix of 50/50 vaseline and mineral spirits. Once that dried, I poured in quick-set resin with a plastic eye dropper until it was flush with the top of the wheel rim which was laying on a table top.

When the resin set up I loosened the axle and popped the resin casting slug out of the rim. The axle stub was glued to the back of the slug with slow set CA glue and kicker. I chucked the slug into my Dremel and used coarse abrasive to dish out the center of the casting. When the dished area was close to the shape I finished the process with finer grades of abrasives. Then I removed the stub axle from the casting.

I had a board with another stub axle set into it that would allow the dished center to sit flush. I used a protractor to determine the centers of the holes, then drilled them with a pin vise. Jeweler's files were used to finish the shape of the openings. An old Fly Ferrari wheel was turned down to get the center nut which was set into the dished center.

The finished master was glued on plastic card and a mold was made in latex. I was then able to make castings of the centers in quick set resin.

`Hope it helps,

Greenman62
 

·
Brian Ferguson
Joined
·
3,652 Posts
You, like all the other casters, have my respect Greenman! That's more effort than I think I can muster for such a project. (Not to mention a certain lack of talent for such things....
) But it's nice to know the steps it involved, and the result is awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,593 Posts
Brilliant, Greenman! Thanks for the how-to. There's lots of wheel inserts I would like to make that way, given the time...
Have fun with that Maxi-Models kit. It's beautiful. My one all seemed to fall together nicely once I got going.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top