SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,196 Posts
QUOTE On my side, as usual, I used the coward way and just used Fly 512S wheels.

Problem is, most "312" used 13" wheels of a vastly different design than the 15" "512"... So the car will never look right unless you do your own wheel inserts.

Dr. Pea

·
Registered
86 Posts
QUOTE (TSRF @ 5 May 2004, 16:30)QUOTE On my side, as usual, I used the coward way and just used Fly 512S wheels.

Problem is, most "312" used 13" wheels of a vastly different design than the 15" "512"... So the car will never look right unless you do your own wheel inserts.

Dr. Pea
You're absolutely right, Dr. Pea, I know very well I'm a coward modellist...

A solution for using small hubs (but still with the 512 design, so no big improvement) is getting 2 NSR Fly Classic resin inserts kits and use the ones for the front wheels for the rear wheels, too. (with small wheels on rear, of course.)
Actually, NSR inserts are made for the italian Fly Classic championship (rules require original wheels or NSR wheels with inserts), the kit has 2 small inserts for the front wheels and 2 bigger for rear.
I realize now the photo I posted yesterday night is with NSR inserts, small on front and big on rear.

Fact is I race tuned my 312PB and pretended to enter it in our club Fly Classic races...

Of course it was not accepted.

Ciao
Otello

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Okay folks here are some in progress shots of my Brands Hatch Ferrari. I didn't like the fins so it was no problem for me to remove them. Now the wheels... Cheeze, the right ones are SO UGLY... I was planning on using BWA wheels...

I suppose you all will laugh at me for not making the attempt. I guess I'l have to try to make centers of my own. I do know just making decals for the wheels just won't do it for me.

Greenman62

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Looking good, Greenman!

And thanks for all the tips on Carrera, chaps. That site was interesting- the 312 the cream of the crop, but tempted by the Porsche 906 and 936...

I'll give your man a call, Thomas. Thanks.

Still working on the wheels, though!

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Umm, nevermind...

(Sigh)

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
QUOTE (JohnP @ 5 May 2004, 21:07)Ahh, sleeping dogs I say howmet

Tiptoing around the snoozing rotweiler....

That's looking terrific Greenman - really like the way you've used those Chevron parts. Is the mirror part Chevron too?

No. the mirror came out of my parts box... It's from the Team Slot Alfa. I'm
looking for another for the right fender mounted mirror but will most likely make
a quickie latex mold one off.

Greenman62

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Nice work, Greenman62!

This picture shows off the wheels nicely, if you want try to make some... without disturbing the dog!

With kind regards

Russell

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Friends,

Here is the file I''ve prepped for the decals sheet I'm making for my 312. I
primed and painted the beast last night and still have a couple more cats of
Tamiya Italian Red to lay on. It looks pretty good so far!

Greenman62

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
QUOTE (howmet tx @ 6 May 2004, 16:20)You mean we can just run that off and print it too, GM?
That's mighty neighbourly of you sir! Hot dog!
You can if you want... It's a bit low rez (I commonly run these files to the printer as a .tif and at 600ppi resolution) and it's not scaled to fit the model yet.

Greenman62

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
QUOTE (JohnP @ 6 May 2004, 16:07)Is this thread raining cats and dogs?

It could be...

It's certainly raining typos

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
QUOTE (Russell Sheldon @ 6 May 2004, 07:17)Nice work, Greenman62!

This picture shows off the wheels nicely, if you want try to make some... without disturbing the dog!

With kind regards

Russell

I forgot to thank you all for those excellent shots. I wish I had them earlier when I was looking for more info.

Like I said, those wheels are rather (to be charitable) plain..... (sigh) but don't look too hard to replicate.

Greenman62

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Now,tell me that one doesn't have 13s on the front and 15s on the back.
And,no,I'm still not doing them.Maybe.

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
QUOTE (bwaminispeed @ 6 May 2004, 19:31)Now,tell me that one doesn't have 13s on the front and 15s on the back.
Y'know it does... I got it... BWAs in the back, Slotit 04s in the front!

"And,no,I'm still not doing them.Maybe.
"

Do I detect a bit of a waffle?

Al, it's gotta be the easiest centers you'll ever do.

Greenman62

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I decided to take the bull by the horns last night and to make my own inserts.

I cast a slug of white resin in a BWA 32004 wheel. Once the resin set I dished out the center of the slug and will attempt to cut the holes tonight.

It's amazing how this hobby has caused me to try things I thought were beyond my reach in the past.

I'll keep you all posted.

Greenman62

21 - 40 of 50 Posts