SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had several AA bodies in my parts drawer for a few years now, and decided I wanted to do this car after I sold the MMK/Proto-slot cars that I had of this model.

this particular car won Le mans in 63 (and recently sold for $12mil) and is probably the last great front engined car.

As it is a fibreglass body, which is pretty thick, it is taking quite a bit of time to get the shell to a painted state. While I have not put in all the pic's of the numerous times I have cut, sanded, built-up with putty, suffice it to say that I must have primer'ed this body at least 10 times with subsequent sandings. I am really enjoying it as I have not done something like this before. While the maxi model Ferrari was complex, this is difficult in a completely different way.

This is a pic after about the 5th spray and sanding (there is a pic of the raw body in Merkit's thread on blobiness )

A little further on - and at this stage I realised that (remember it has been Christmas and new year
) the centre hole for the carbs was off centre and so began a series of putty build ups on the one side and cut away on right side.

A Picture of the chassis as it stands at the moment - but am also putting together an Atlas/Pittman based chassis.

LOL - thought i would put up a pic of what my workbench looked like through the festive season - cough - could have spent some time cleaning

·
Pete Shepherd
1,694 Posts
QUOTE I have cut, sanded, built-up with putty, suffice it to say that I must have primer'ed this body at least 10 times with subsequent sandings

Been there done that! I always tell myself that I only have the patient for one fibre glass body a year!

QUOTE I am really enjoying it

I don't....

They are worth the effort though and can be made to look very nice. I have cut off most of the detail (exhausts, Lights, cockpit etc) that comes molded on the body and replaced it, it makes a big difference These are the best ones I have completed (Lotus of course)

Keep up he good work,

Pete

·
Registered
260 Posts
Many work is necessary to do something with AA bodies... Great work from you Anthony!
This starter promise a nice result!

But please don't confuse MMK and Proto Slot Kit: They are 2 (very) different brands....

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Superb work Pete - really nice looking cars. Have taken your advice and have virtually removed everything from headlights to petrol caps....

Vincent - I know that difference
_ I had the 3 TRi's (different 61 and 63 I believe) so as I love this car - was leaft to work with the AA bodies car

long way to go as yet .....

thanks for the interest guys....

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I admire you determination and patience Anthony (and Pete) in refining these shells. I also spend untold hours thinning, re-shaping and detailing bodyshells from certain manufacturers and even though I doubt my sanity sometimes I do always feel a sense of acomplishment when I finally get the result I was hoping for.

Just to be a grumpy old man for a moment, it can be a bit annoying when a car is dismissed as just a nice paint job while all the hours of preparation are overlooked, having said that obviously the person viewing the slot car is often unaware of all this work.

I've had that AA Ferrari bodyshell in my "to do" pile for a few years so I look forward to seeing how yours comes along Anthony.

David

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought i would add this pic

A lot of people will not spray paint in winter. Now you do need family approval for this
but what I do is put the body and the paint can on a central heating outlet, warm them both up, spray them, then put them back on top of the central heating to dry/keep warm ..... any comments/improvements/general ideas?

Picture of car now red - lousy pics as the car in real life is actually quite good

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I heat the paint up by putting the can into a jug of hot water, about 60Deg, then spraying the body thats been sitting, like yours, on top of a radiator.

Spraying done outside, then the spraybooth (Large Cardboard box) and body brought back indoors to allow it to dry.

Not much problem with dust as we have no pets and use an airscrubber( we both have asthma) that removes a lot of dust from the atmosphere.

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comments and compliments - much appreciated....

A couple of update pics

Decals and clear cote added.......

Seated on chassis for trial fit......

Test fit of the carbs and carb covers

Have completed the fuel caps, still need to do the headlights and intake vents..... but I am having second thoughts on whether to completely take out the driving area - would not be full drivers figure but would have few more mil's deapth and legs added with spare seat etc..... darn - should have done this before painting

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the continued nice comments.

It is amazing that when you take close up pics - they always show the little things that you dont really notice in the flesh. All goes to show that when it looks perfect in a picture - just how good is it in the flesh!!!
Why do I say this - I keep on having to take picturesthat dont show the flaws in the car

Ok - so the screen - a screen is supplied and in fact I am not sure what I was thinking when I was trimming the Carb cowling supplied with the screen, but I managed to butcher the one supplied with the car - so I asked Adrian Norman who runs the site that sells AA bodies and he very kindly arranged for me to buy a replacement - hence I can do the before and after pic below:

The screen as supplied is made of quite thick ??? (not sure on this) which is good as the rear spoiler is integral in the screen, and thus looking at the pic's of the car that I have, I merely painted the detail onto the screens. The front screen should have a black line around the oval shape, however my hand is not steady enough to do this....

As I am normally all thumbs when I build, I have struggled to add the small details such as the front headlight holders and the wire mesh on the side vents...... so this is where it is at at the moment.....

headlight recesses in their formative construction process ....

Screen still resting on body. I now have 2 completed chassis for this car - a revell chassis with added brass side-plates and an Atlas based chassis - still to decide whether I should construct and add the side-plates...

Hope to complete the car this weekend.....

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for all the kind comments - it was a lot of hard work, but still someway to go (for me) to get to the standard of many on this forum.

I have enjoyed it - hope it kept you interested,

I eventually decided to leave the atlas chassis in the car as these seem to perform far better than the Revell/Monogram chassis, even when you add brass side chassis onto the car. I still have some fettling to do but await parts from germany for that, as well as alote more polishing to clean up the windows and other bits and pieces.

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Very nice old school. Like the Monogram wheels and inserts (maybe Atlas wheels, they were pretty close)(actually, I see by the bottom shot they are Atlas wheels).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for you tutorial, always nice to see progress on cars, and I have to say it turned out lovely.

Nice and clean work, thanks for sharing it with us.
Cheers,
Danny

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Guys
Here is another ferrari TR le mans winner
This time the 1961 winner of Phil hill and oliver gendebien this one a 3 litre
It wasn,t the greatest looking ferrari of all time what with the tall windscreen and carlo chitis efforts to make a front engined car look rear engined, however it bears all the tradmarks of the ferraris in the early 60 s IE twin nostril radiator intakes and the V12
Made this one with an OCAR body .Unfortunately the mechanicals are a bit more boring than the previous example being the ubiquitous Pendle PCS chassis

enjoy

Cheers tony

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice job Tony - I have that body as well - and I am avoiding it like the plague - for me - their bodies have gone downhill from the original cars they did - so for that quality - you have done a great job

1 - 20 of 23 Posts