SlotForum banner

Ferrari 340 America Vignale Spider, 1952 Mille Miglia

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  KensRedZed 
#1 · (Edited)
Clothing Tire Car Vehicle Wheel

Here's another entry for my latest obsession, the sports prototypes of the early 1950s. This time it's one of a confusing plethora of different models entered by Scuderia Ferrari in this era. Taruffi and Vandelli drove this car at the 1952 Mille Miglia, retiring at Siena with transmission trouble when leading the race.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

The resin body comes from MSSlot, one of the many Spanish manufacturers and was already painted with the usual mega-thick and bumpy finish that high-end resin body manufacturers love. There are also several inaccuracies to the body shape. I decided to live with these and complete the model as a pretty representation rather than an exact copy.

Here it is, most of the work went into getting the cockpit to fit above the motor and detailing the driver and navigator. I kept the torsos provided with the kit and swopped an Immense Miniatures head for Piero. I also put some effort into getting the windscreens right (yes, it has two screens!), and the front clean. The radiator grille needed careful trimming to get it to fit in the radiator cavity and the surrounding metal trim was simulated using a chrome pen (a brilliant option that I picked up on this forum).

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Hood Goggles Sunglasses Motor vehicle Helmet

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Helmet

Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Car Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Relatively simple with a nice outcome, I like way the navigator is staring down at his notes. As ever with this particular stable of cars, it has a PCS inline plastic chassis and 22x7 wire wheels.

Andy

See less See more
#4 ·
attachicon.gif
0196A-Race-1-Mille-Miglia-1952-4.png

Here's another entry for my latest obsession, the sports prototypes of the early 1950s. This time it's one of a confusing plethora of different models entered by Scuderia Ferrari in this era. Taruffi and Vandelli drove this car at the 1952 Mille Miglia, retiring at Siena with transmission trouble when leading the race.

attachicon.gif
Spyder2.jpg

The resin body comes from MSSlot, one of the many Spanish manufacturers and was already painted with the usual mega-thick and bumpy finish that high-end resin body manufacturers love. There are also several inaccuracies to the body shape. I decided to live with these and complete the model as a pretty representation rather than an exact copy.

Here it is, most of the work went into getting the cockpit to fit above the motor and detailing the driver and navigator. I kept the torsos provided with the kit and swopped an Immense Miniatures head for Piero. I also put some effort into getting the windscreens right (yes, it has two screens!), and the front clean. The radiator grille needed careful trimming to get it to fit in the radiator cavity and the surrounding metal trim was simulated using a chrome pen (a brilliant option that I picked up on this forum).

attachicon.gif
1.png

attachicon.gif
2.png

attachicon.gif
3.png

attachicon.gif
4.png

attachicon.gif
5.png

Relatively simple with a nice outcome, I like way the navigator is staring down at his notes. As ever with this particular stable of cars, it has a PCS inline plastic chassis and 22x7 wire wheels.

Andy
Lovely model. If I ever break out of my 1963 to 1972 sports car obsession, this is where I'll go!
Mike

#7 · (Edited)
That's a very good question! I cannot find a single photo of the race car's rear but there is a short video of the race here with quite a lot of footage given to car No. 614, presumably because it was leading for much of the race. There's one clear shot that shows that there is something at the back (see below) but it isn't the usual white 'Prova Mo' number plate. As I don't really know what it is I've left it out.

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Automotive design

Andy

#10 ·
A few more early Spiders to inspire your passion, Andy.

Attachments

#16 ·
Well, Claus, I must confess that I've been waiting nervously for your post, because I know that you love 50's Italian cars and you make the best slot models of them! The answer is simple, if I'd started with serious changes to the grille I would have to reduce its height and also the height of the hole. That would have been the start of 3-6 months of work and I did not want to invest that much time into this particular model. Actually, I was rather disappointed by its inaccuracy. Many, many things are wrong, including your favourite, the width, which is much too big. So I cheated and just made it look nice but not very accurate. I promise not to do this often!

Andy

#17 ·
Hi Andy,

dont´t worry....... I do not intend to make your nervous......
huh.png
...... believe me........ but at my first view this detail came up.

I also can follow your arguments well to use the mould out of the kit. It´s always so much work to get a model alike the original.

( I do not understand modelmakers: Why some of them are not able to produce their -products- alike the original .......?; Right proportions and right measures are not a question of the selling price ....??? )

greets,
cheers.gif

claus

#18 ·
Hi Andy,

: Why some of them are not able to produce their -products- alike the original .......?; Right proportions and right measures are not a question of the selling price ....??? )

greets,
cheers.gif

claus
I think there are two main reasons. In some cases (NSR is a prime example) the dimensions are distorted to make the model more competitive. The other, and this is probably more the case with models of older prototypes and older production, the need to accommodate readily available motors dictated some distortions, either to provide space or "balance" consequent inaccuracies. The Ninco Testa Rossa is an example of this.

med_gallery_99_234_49259.jpg

This does not, however, explain why a pattern make cannot see the difference between an oval and a rounded trapezoid - e.g. grill shape.

EM

#19 ·
I think that some of it is down to not getting enough reference data or even using inaccurate data. Old plans are an example of the latter. I always spend hours looking for contemporary photos before starting a scratchbuild.

Andy

#20 ·
Everything revolves around money. It always does.

At a certain point, someone says "It's good enough to sell" and stops any further research into the details. Then sends it off to the market full of mistakes.

If a mistake is made to a model. You may need to debate making a totally new mold at a horrendous cost. Modellers don't see that part of the business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.