SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've just finished building up my Proto Slot-Kit Ferrari 350 Can-Am and have to say it makes into a lovely model. Yep Fergy, rub your eyes - this model really exists! No virtual building on this thread!

Anyway, for anyone interested, this is how I set about putting it together...

The basic kit comes in unpainted form (pre-painted kits can be obtained too) complete with a vacuum-formed windscreen, wire for roll bar and decals. It also requires donor parts from a Fly Classic Ferrari 512S to complete. Here is the shell alongside the original Fly chassis:

First job was to reshape the chassis to fit the shell. To do this I removed all the running gear and trimmed the chassis roughly to size. This was followed by much gentle sanding, frequently offering the chassis up to the shell to test the fit.

The resin shell itself was very well finished only requiring a light sanding to remove some rough edges. After spraying with Halfords car paint I applied the decals although I have to admit using a little poetic license as far as prototypical accuracy goes here. The roll hoop was shaped (gosh that sounded easy - needs three strong men to bend it!), painted black and held in place with a dab or two of superglue. To finish the shell I just painted the exhausts, filler caps , etc. using Games Workshop acrylics and prepared the windshield:

Next up I trimmed and painted the Fly cockpit. The helmet was finished to resemble that of Jonathan Williams who drove the no.27 car - funny how you never seem to be able to find a driver without goggles when you want one yet...

Once the was cockpit finished it was glued to the chassis using rapid setting epoxy. That's the chassis done - just needs the running gear.

And there you go... all finished - parts assembled and on the track.

I think Proto Slot-Kit have made a terrific job of this shell - a great addition to my collection

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Very nice, JP! It looks terrific!
That has always been one of my favourite Ferraris.

QUOTE Yep Fergy, rub your eyes - this model really exists!

...well, i could take some pics of the inadequate amount of parts I have so far but that wouldn't be very entertaining...

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heck Alan, it's a helluva lot easier to solder brass and piano wire than this plastic stuff!

To get the finish I gave the car 5 thin coats of paint rubbing down with T-Cut after all but the final coat. The clear cote is 'ARDCOAT spray from Games Workshop. It tends to "mist" initially but after a few light coats (again I think I used 5 or 6 applications) the shine really starts to come up. I've got a bottle of Klear here too but haven't plucked up the courage to use it yet - any tips greatly appreciated

Here's another shot of the Ferrari by the way:

This time Jonathan is getting a yellow. A virtual reality overgeared Matra has just spun in front - the motor exploded laying down a trail of 18swg superconducting rewind wire and lifting the track rails with its neo-boosted samarium cobalt power mags

P.S. love the idea of Ferrari pasta Grah - Ferruccine anyone?

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Very nice John and as always nicely shot in location. Did the chassis line up on wheelbase, when Joel did his it was fractionally out. Did you adjust the chassis at all?

David

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Thanks for all the comments guys

David, no adjustments were made to the chassis wheelbase. There are three mounting posts inside the body. On my car one of these was marked for drilling slightly off-centre and to the fore. I think the trick here is not to try and correct what at first sight seems like an error! Rather, after some deliberation, I drilled the holes exactly as marked and very carefully shaped the chassis, screwing it onto the shell quite frequently just to be sure things were lining up. Definitely a case of "easy does it".

Having got a reasonable fit, I also took the merest smidgeon from the rear of the opposing front wheel arch to stop the tyre from rubbing. Bingo all was well. I was thankful I didn't get the pre-painted kit in this respect as if I hadn't been able to remove the "smidgeon" the alternatives may well have been to either ruin the paintwork or lengthen the chassis wheelbase fractionally as perhaps Joel did.

Fergy, I've got new glasses now
and I'm pleased to report the black eye is almost better

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Of course for the ultimate Ferrari 350 chassis here's a stroll down memory lane:

Built with a Pension, Build your own rail chassis

...a rare treat for all you Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa fans too! Wouldn't it be great to see howmet's finished car decaled up and with that Maxi-Models interior! Hint hint!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts