Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my latest project, work in progress I'm afriad. It is the Ferrari 500 F2, based on the car Alberto Ascari drove in practice for the 1952 French Grand Prix. The car uses a resin shell, from Steve Ward at Penelope Pitlane, with some slight improvements. The moulded rivets have been removed, and will be replaced with 0.7mm items from Scale Hardware.

The paint is Fiat Racing Red, and sprayed through my airbrush, and then polished. For me, looking at the high-res pictures, the paint looks a little orange 'peely' on the 'bob tail' and also the side panels. However when you have a look with the naked eye (and I have pretty good eyes, so can vouch for this!), the paint looks absolutely flawless, with a mirror like quality, so not sure what is going on there. I hope that if you ever see this car in flesh, I'm sure you will agree.

The car is being built for the Early Birds meeting, a true scale event, and Steve has done a great job on getting the look 'right'. It currently sits on the Penelope Pitlane chassis, with a Scaleauto 30k Motor, on 8:27 gearing. I may change to 8:28, or maybe even 9:28, for the Wolves International track.

Lots of work still to do, shut lines need highlighting in a darker red, the bonnet clips need touching up and dry brushing with black, and maybe a wash too to really get the details standing out. Obviously the rivets also need fitting, and will be secured with Chemical Metal. The driver needs the odd touch up here and there, and also a wash on the overalls to bring out the creases and folds. The steering wheel needs fitting, and the Jaeger dials fitting too. Wheels are GP Miniatures items, the best on the market in my opinion, and will use NSR Ultragrip tyres. Inserts will be used and included later.

Finally, you maybe wondering why the 'Practice' title. Well, the car used in the race, had two cut outs on the bonnet, which where added over the weekend, and also ran with just the four exhausts exiting out of the side, and not using the long exhaust, which I feel is a key part to this model. According to one of my research publications, the Ferrari mechanics changed the exhausts of the 500's over the weekend, and for the race, they featured the smaller exhausts, for a reason unknown to me.

So, as usual, any comments, and advice, please give, I always take it on board!

·
Pete Shepherd
1,689 Posts
Great job so far Jon, you'll have to teach me the art of Airbrushing as your paint does look very good.

Pete

·
Registered
270 Posts
Really lovely work and I like the use of a slightly reflective surface for the car to sit on in the pictures - it makes for an interesting shot. I can see what you mean about the orange peeley look (although you do have to look very, very hard indeed!) so if you were worried at all then I've seen really good results from using grades of micromesh right down to 12000 if needed. That alone will bring up a really good, smooth shine and then some wax polish on top would finish it a treat. Although from what I can see I don't think you need to bother. Great work and thanks for sharing.

Rogr

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Hi guys,

A little more work has been down on the Ferrari, and as I had my camera setup, I thought I'd snap a few photos for your approval
!

Firstly, thank you for all your kind comments, really appreciate it, and they spur me on to do more with the build! Pete, I'd doubt you'd need my advice, your builds are in a different league to mine! Nick, the 30k is the Black Scaleauto can, my prefered motor for single seaters. Finally, Roger, thanks for the advice with micro-mesh, I think I have something similar which I will try and dig out. The "slightly reflective base" is actually 130gsm Glossy Paper, used for Digital printers. Add's a nice touch if I say so myself
!

So, what has been done? Well, I've given it another polish in the areas that looked a little 'orangy peely', and it now looks much better. Also the inserts have been fitted on the GP Miniatures wheels. The eagle eyed amongst you will notice it is running on 3 eared Borrani spinners. As I'm waiting for my 2 eared ones to arrive, I decided to stick the Borrani's on for the photos. I'll replace them later.

Also, the exhaust has been fitted, and I'm not really sure if it looks 'right'? I painted it in Humbrol GunMetal, and then using a fine brillow pad polished until most of the paint was removed, just leaving a tiny bit to darken the colour of the metal. Any thoughts? The heat deflector also needs bare-metal foiling and then dry brushing with a touch of black.

A few small details like the steering wheel and fuel filler cap have been fitted, the latter needs a black wash to bring the hinge detail out. The wheel needs the Cavallino Rampante decal added.

Rivets are ordered, so just waiting for them to come. The dials have been designed on the computer, and just need finishing before printing.

Finally, any advice and comments more than welcome. Especially on the exhaust?

Regards
Jon

·
re member
4,018 Posts
I like it.
The car is a sweet thing.
The exhaust looks OK to me but maybe he is still using leaded fuel as the pipe exit is very grey.
regards

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last night I had a go at detailing the driver, using various washes of darker blues. It hasnt come out too badly, just needs a bit more time to get it right before the camera goes near it.

Thanks for your comments Andi, your right, EB's in 2011 was a real rush, so its nice to know I should have a car ready on time, and not be finishing it on race morning! Such a pity your not coming over this year, however Im sure we will bump into each other again!

Regards
Jon

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Time for an update I feel, and since the last time I posted on this thread, progress has been good!

Firslty, I've just finished designing the dials for the car too. As I couldnt find anything else suitable, they have all been made from scratch using very simple programs on the computer, including PowerPoint 7, and a free program called Paint.net.

They will be printed on viynl, so they will be just peel and stick straight onto the dashboard.

Firstly, we have the Rev Counter:

The Fuel Guage, Oil Pressue Guage:

The Oil Temperature and ACO Temperature Guage

Since the last photos here, I have fitted the rivets, polished the exhuast, fitted the suspension front and rear, fitted the guide (and tested the car). Also, I have weathered the driver and bought out the highlights and the creases in his overalls, and looks pretty good. Today I finished the windscreen which will be attached at the end of the build. Here are some new photos shot this morning:

Regards
Jon

·
re member
4,018 Posts
Car looks great, bonnet straps/clips look great. rivets look great and the slighly burnished look on the exhaust looks great......
A very nice piece of work, if I may say so.

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The car is now finished, and sitting here waiting to be run at the weekend. I dont want to post any more photos now till after the event. Have a look at the Early Birds thread to follow the progress of not just this car, but all the competitors throughout the day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts