SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Just wondered if anyone made a Ferrari 550 Maranello?

Cheers!

Was

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Top Slot make a resin Ferrari F550 Maranello Le-Mans 2002 Prodrive as well as s the slightly different Olive Garden sponsored car. The kits come complete with a Slot.it HRS rolling chassis.

Image courtesy of Monarch Lines.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
There is another RTR Maranello, the one done by Dapretto (LM 2003 GTS winner). Very beautiful resin model but not cheap and very hard to find.

Regarding kits, before the Prodrive and Rafanelli (Olive Garden) cars, Topslot made two other versions, the Italtechnica from the FIA GT series and another from the French Gt series. Those two kits are meant to be used with a Fly Venturi chassis.

The Italtechnica body is now also available by OCA and it is much cheaper than Topslot's one (which by now is very hard to find anyway).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi again!

Well i've just ordered the OCA complete kit
and was wondering what's the best paint to use on resin bodies (my first)!

Thanks again!

Was

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Sean, does the OCA version of the 550 have the same light covers as the original release from Top Slot?

I got two left hand sides with my kit and NO chance to get the right hand side

Even Top SLot don't have any left OR the kits.

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Carrera are doing its bigger brother the 575

Painting - if you want to invest in a air brush then any enamel paint thinned down will work well, otehrwise use decent aerosols e.g tamiya. The main thing to do is prepare the body well - get rid of any flashing and burrs, sand down (use 600+grit sand paper) imperfections and fill up holes. Wash it well and then prime it using a standard car primer - aerosol.

Read my article on GS about how I did the top slot version.

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
QUOTE Sean, does the OCA version of the 550 have the same light covers as the original release from Top Slot?
The Oca lens will be the same shape/size as the Topslot lens other than the resin has a 'cloudy' appearance, not a problem if the lenses are painted. Drop me a mail with your needs and i'll see what we can do.
Sean

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
I used the oca one on my world proxy car just got it back yesterday in one peice with only a couple of scratches soit would seem the resin stands up well to racing .

·
Registered
89 Posts
QUOTE Read my article on GS about how I did the top slot version.

I used your link, took me to their opening page. clicked enter. can't find your review, just a couple current ones from tucker.

I bought the top slot, the instructions are in spanish. I would like english. I have been looking for a good photo of the prodrive, so i know where to put the decals. Also colors for the interior, inside the coach as well as the seats.

as you can guess, i would be very interested in your article. This will be the first kit i have built, painted from more or less scratch.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Automotive Paint works fine on resin bodies and dries alot faster that enamel. I do not use any thing else. If you don't have an air brush touch up cans are available and not much more expensive that enamel.

Phil

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
If you go the tuckers tips section you should see all the previous months columns are listed with the ferrari kit in the Sept 03 column under the review section - also incl at the end of this article is a translation of the instructions obtained from top slot.

This was my first one and hoepfully you can learn from the things I did wrong. One point that I've learnt since this article is that using an indian ink pen market for outlining the windows etc. is much easier and gives a better finish that trying to paint them.

Matt

·
Registered
89 Posts
hey, i found your article. The GS site is not all that intuitive. Thanks for the help.
Your experiences will be helpful.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have found that fine point permanent marker works quite well for windscreen edges etc. But you do need to give loads of time to dry and when varnishing the car, you must apply lots of thin coats rather than one thick coat - cos the marker can bleed.

I used this method when recreating the 'Esso Tiger Strips' livery on my TopSlot Supra (and some help from Iceman's decals) - and if I do say so myself looks pretty good!

Cheers

Mark

1 - 20 of 20 Posts