SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

My latest project is a 612 Can Am. This is a RMS body that I am building up. I do have all the parts for this car (from old parts in my scrap boxes).

What I am looking for is a shop/supplier for the wide wheels, tyres and Ferrari inserts that will fit - 1/32nd scale.

Help appreciated

·
Kitbasher
4,250 Posts
I used a set of these, they looked great, nice and fat and beefy.

Nice to deal with, I have no connection other than being a satisfied customer.

Only problem, you might explore the website and spend a packet!

Wheels and stuff

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Pete- thanks!!

Thought I would take another pic to show what I am looking for:

Wheels on front (on the chassis) are from patto's. Never used them before so have no clue how they work. Tyres are rubber.

Next in line are similar size to ones you put in your link (these are Maxi Models - BWA are similar in size) , with the last set being the biggest vintage set I have. So Really looking for the big ones as the Can AM tyres were huge

Image with body popped on for comparison.....

·
David Collins
2,364 Posts
Hi Anthony, keep us informed of the build - I'm assembling the parts for one, too, so I'm interested! How about NSR MG Vanquish wheels and tyres - they are 21x14. But if you are looking for some of the widest BWA wheels, I think I have some. PM me if you are interested, then I can look them out and measure them.

David

·
Registered
230 Posts
Slot Car Corner has new 15 x 12 wheels that are designed to take inserts.
These are as wide as the F1 wheels Alexis mentions, but are a bigger diameter.

Click here...

They also have gold 15x12's 5 spokes that are a good resemblance of the Ferrari wheel..

Click here...

If you need to go wider than 12mm, you might want to look at the rear wheels from Carrera's Can Am Porsche

Hope this helps...

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
PS: In terms of wheels and tyres, from 1969 to 1974, most of the Can-Am cars used 15" wheels, anything from 9" (.281" - 7.1mm in 1/32nd scale) to 12" wide (.375" - 9.5mm) in the front; and from 12" to 17" wide (.531" - 13.48mm) at the rear. Tyres were generally 24" (.750" - 19mm) in diameter at the front; and 26" (.812" - 20.62mm) up to 26.8" at the rear.

I loved those cars!

The smallest was the 1970 AVS Shadow (or Shadow Mk. I), which was a full 14" lower than the McLaren M8D. Front tyres were 17" (.531" - 13.48mm) in diameter and 11" wide; rear tyres were 19" (.593" - 15mm) in diameter and 17" wide, with a stubby 86" wheelbase.

The Shadow Mk. II also used smaller wheels, although not quite as tiny. Front tyres were 18.8" (.587" - 14.9mm) in diameter, with a tread width of 10" on 12" x 11" wide rims. Rear tyres were 22.3" (.696" - 17.67mm) in diameter with a tread of 14" on 15" x 16" rims.

Of the bigger cars, the Ferrari 612P was 88.9" wide, while the March 707 was the widest of them all, measuring 93" wide (2.9" - 73.66mm).

At 105.5" (3.296" - 83.71mm) the Lola T310 had the longest wheelbase and at 85.5" (2.671" - 67.84mm) was one of the widest. At 180" in length, it was 41" longer than the Lola T260!

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Russell - thanks for the compliment! Especially as I have a long way to go yet on this car ..... yup I love this era of cars (matches my age) - so have quite a few I will be building in next few months, including 3 variations of this car!! (it is a shame that the links for your can Am thread have gone - would have loved to print those specs)

thanks for all the tips on wheels from everyone - appreciated

1 - 9 of 9 Posts