SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
We are starting a new class at our club called Indi Roadsters. Front motor Indi cars from 1950 up to 1967. We would also need to make our cars front motor drive. The only motor we can use is the BWMS050 with some type of drive shaft. That presented some new challenges for the entire club.

Here's the kit as purchased. Made by Geodies. Sold on EBay. Thick, solid core, copper wires were supplied as exhaust pipes. Those copper wires will not be going on the kit.

Font Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Drawing

Beige Oval Font Ceiling Wood

Wood Beige Comfort Automotive design Hardwood

Chassis plans laid out.

Schematic Rectangle Font Parallel Engineering

The chassis.

Wood Office supplies Nickel Metal Fashion accessory

Test fitting a front motor drive system recently removed from a Scalex Maserati 250F.

Auto part Circuit component Jewellery Metal Screw

Tool Household hardware Auto part Font Hand tool

Circuit component Auto part Nickel Machine Metal

Circuit component Electronic component Cable Gas Electrical wiring

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Car Sports equipment

Wheel Product Toy Tire Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Hood Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Toy

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Toy

Wheel Tire Vehicle Toy Automotive tire

Material property Toy Wood Bumper Beige

Plastic Composite material Window Carmine Cleanliness

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Toy

More to follow. Thank you very kindly for looking.

Attachments

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Im not normally a fan of single seaters but I like this one - it looks very purposeful. That slight squaring off of the body makes all the difference.

Beautifully executed - the chassis is a work of art in itself.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Hi Ken,.........looking good !!...............you may want to try a double flanged 2mm id. sintered bronze oilite for the rear motor shaft support,.....much more precise than the plastic ones
biggrin.png

These are available from a few folks......including the NSR2004803.

Cheers

Chris Walker

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your kind words, Mr Modifier.
smile.png

Chris. I humbly thank you for your inspiration, suggestions and the reference too!
biggrin.png

I just bought some aluminum tubing for the exhaust. This might very well be my biggest challenge yet.
wacko.png

·
Gordon Steadman
6,888 Posts
Interesting that they supply house wiring for the exhausts. I've used that several times with some success although the hollow end can look a little heavv. It is possible to thin it down if you are careful. Much easier to bend to shape that metal tubing.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I just bought some aluminum tubing for the exhaust. This might very well be my biggest challenge yet.
wacko.png
Hi Ken, I am sure you already know this, but, if you place some aluminum/brass rod or tube into the alu, tube before bending it, you will avoid "kinking" the alu. tube........looks better !!

Cheers

Chris Walker

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looking great as usual,I have faith you'll come up with a sharp set of exhaust pipes.keep up the great work...Chuck

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Bit suspect of the rear bearing Ken. Chris' idea of the oilite is a better bet but I would think a longer support the length between the spring and the pinion would be better ,either a solid block of ally with a suitable hole or some kind of u bracket with a bearing each side . I know there's not a lot of torque in the motor but any up down or side to side movement if the spring causes any eccentricity will soon wreck the mesh

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Gus. I like to torture myself. So I'm going to try and wreck... I mean... make some exhausts pipes from the tubing with Chris Walker's suggestion of filling the tubing before bending.

Thanks for the idea Chris.
biggrin.png

Thank you kindly Chuck. No pressure... Got it.
thumbsup.gif

Thank you very kindly Wobble.

Graham. I still plan to put a drop of epoxy on the bushing before race day. I also hope to change it for a brass version as Chris suggested. As you already stated, these motors do not have insane torque. Thank you kindly for the suggestions.

I just watched a show on how they make French Horns. They fill the brass pipe with hot pitch. Let it cool. Bend the pipe using a jig. Then heat the pipe to remove the pitch. They end up with perfect bends, and a hollow pipe after you're done. Not sure how small a diameter of pipe I can go. I aim to find out. Where the heck do you buy pitch? A roofing supplier?

This is either going to work like a charm. Or become a total disaster.
innocent.gif

·
Al Schwartz
3,392 Posts
We are starting a new class at our club called Indi Roadsters. Front motor Indi cars from 1950 up to 1967. We would also need to make our cars front motor drive. The only motor we can use is the BWMS050 with some type of drive shaft. That presented some new challenges for the entire club.
I like your club's approach - an on-going supply of new challenges.

EM

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
hate to be a spoiler here, but for the life of me that looks much more like one of the Epperly "lay down" roadsters, which campaigned and won in the late 50's at Indy. The other possibility is it's the Cummins diesel car from 1952, the one and only year that Ferrari made it's entry at the Brickyard. The offset cockpit is telltale for these possibilities, which allowed the driver to sit lower for the c/g, whereas the Ferrari, a v12 based on the contemporary 375 from the European circle, had a much more upright driving position with the propshaft down the center. To stay on the "Ferrari track" with this car, it would at least need wire wheels, which were the famous reason that the car failed at the Oval's high stress/speeds corners.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Al. I think they supplied 2-extra wires. We usually introduce a new class or two every year. It's a great club for true scratch builders that like to build.

Here's the challenge below.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Window

Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Stuckinthe60's. I am not a history expert in any way. I humbly apologize for any confusion. But the Ferrari Bardahl Special that raced in the 1956 Indi-500 did not come with wire wheels. It came with the wheels as seen on the real car I just posted. I had to hunt down the inserts for the style of wheel Ferrari actually used. Wire wheels would have been incorrect.
innocent.gif

I will admit that Geodies did not do an accurate job of shaping the body. But in the end, it's a slot car. It will be fun to race!
thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're a good man, Stuckinthe60's. I was born in 61. We are closer in many more ways than you may think. I still have a Hot Wheels collection.
thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
423 Posts
Great car!

On filling the tubing prior to bending - try common sand. You can plug the tube end with a bit of eraser or round plastic.

Whose wheels, tires, and inserts?

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,740 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts