SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you very kindly for the suggestion Wicker Bill.

Thank you for your kind words David.

I think the wheels are old BWA's? Now available through RS Slots.

The urethane tires and Halibrand inserts are from D'Art Hobbies. RS Slots also sells the Halibrand inserts as David suggested.
thumbsup.gif

·
Al Schwartz
3,392 Posts
well, I need to eat my words, though still partially correct. A true "hybrid" of the laydown with a Ferrari engine! Good luck with the build!
Yes, the car discussed here is a Kurtis Kraft chassis with a Ferrari motor. Before this one a Ferrari 375 (375 cc/cyl X 12 = 4.5L) did run at Indy and it was that car that suffered from the collapse of its wire wheel (right rear I believe)

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I just watched a show on how they make French Horns. They fill the brass pipe with hot pitch. Let it cool. Bend the pipe using a jig. Then heat the pipe to remove the pitch. They end up with perfect bends, and a hollow pipe after you're done. Not sure how small a diameter of pipe I can go. I aim to find out. Where the heck do you buy pitch? A roofing supplier?
Great project Ken.

Pitch can be obtained from a jewelers supplier.

Brazed aluminum joints are strong enough that the exhaust assembly can be manipulated after fabrication. This is helpful especially when trying to line up the exhaust header pipes with the holes on the engine block or bodywork.

These are 1 mm wire. Using hollow tube instead of solid wire for the header pipes is possible but of course requires more precision and care when making the cuts and bends. Using hollow tube for collector pipes and exhaust pipes is fairly straightforward.

I threw this together just now as an example, but with some more careful effort, you can make some nice looking, sturdy exhaust pipes.

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wood Bicycle fork Road surface

Not stainlss but aluminum

Ruler Font Office ruler Line Tool

The soft aluminum mars easily, so these soft jaw pliers can help minimize damage.

Sleeve Silver Knife Utility knife Bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
One day I finish it? Will use copper house wire and lots of annealing.

Attachments

·
Al Schwartz
3,392 Posts
Like the formula - the motor restriction makes a good handling chassis/tire combination that is not overly dependent on weight for traction a priority. Several years ago I took the available specs on the entrants in the Canadian GP proxy and plotted them against finishing position to see if there were any correlations. Two of the graphs had statistically valid trend lines: weight vs finish and "effective torque" - a calculated parameter derived by taking the published motor torque figure, multiplying it by the gear ratio and dividing by rear tire diameter.

What emerged was lower weight = higher finish, not surprising and lower "effective torque" = higher finish, interesting.

EM

·
Electric model car driver
1,415 Posts
I love it when guys write "I just threw this together as an example" or "because I need it tonight" etc. and what they've done is really quite remarkable.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thank you very kindly Don.

Stuckinthe60's. We're very fortunate that our club rules say the car only had to be registered, and we can race the livery. I'm good to go with this car even though it was a failure, and didn't even qualify. I will make sure it won't fail as a slot car.
thumbsup.gif

Interesting specs EM. Slower motors are my favorites. It seems that I can get them to perform very effectively.

Spot on Wobble.
smile.png

·
Registered
415 Posts
Like the formula - the motor restriction makes a good handling chassis/tire combination that is not overly dependent on weight for traction a priority. Several years ago I took the available specs on the entrants in the Canadian GP proxy and plotted them against finishing position to see if there were any correlations. Two of the graphs had statistically valid trend lines: weight vs finish and "effective torque" - a calculated parameter derived by taking the published motor torque figure, multiplying it by the gear ratio and dividing by rear tire diameter.

What emerged was lower weight = higher finish, not surprising and lower "effective torque" = higher finish, interesting.

EM
The better results with lower torque does not surprise me. I keep highlighting the importance of torque and gearing the car accordingly to the newer members at our club. I keep hammering away at the principle that a lot of torque at the back wheels make for a "twitchy" car that is difficult to drive. And proxies are the ultimate "driveability" test: a lot of drivers with varying levels of driving ability have to drive a whole bunch of very different cars back to back in quick succesion: this is one heck of a challenge! No surprise that easier to drive cars pretty much always do well, and a manageable amount of torque at the back wheels is a major factor in that.

To the OP: sorry for derailing the thread a bit but I thought EM brought up a very good point that bears some emphasis.

Alwyn

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
No problemo Alwyn. It's all good. I like 14k motors and win a lot of races in that motor class. You'll see a bunch of them in my build threads. I understand EM very well.
biggrin.png

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thank you very kindly for posting more pics Laurence!
thumbsup.gif

It might not have been a successful race car. But I'm certain the daily drive to and from work would be an absolute blast!
biggrin.png

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Ken

I've always rather liked the look and 'hybrid' concept of this car. It's just a pity that it was built at a difficult time for Enzo.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Al

Very nice, indeed. A splendid build. My similar Scalextric car below, bought at a swapmeet in bits for just £4.

It's always amused/irritated me that a previous owner painted 'ROCKET CHRIS' on the left-hand flank. I rebuilt the car but still haven't got around to repainting it.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 44 Posts