SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ferrari F40 is my favorite car, if I won the lottery I would rush out and buy one and just sit and drool over it. So it's no real surprise that I've chosen to model four of the Racing varieties!.

I'm afraid the racing history of F40's did not live up to the expectations of Ferrari, so the least said about that the better.

But history did leave us with some fine racing liveries to play around with.

Please, please , please take a look at this website and see some of the most wonderful models of these cars you will ever see :-

http://www11.plala.or.jp/nonta/p2/dcmalbum.htm

I've now finished the first of these replica's, the Pilot Le Mans Car.

Because I am such a cheapskate I wanted to produce these cars as cheaply as possible, so I based them on Scalextric's excellent model and Cartronic's not so excellent car!.

Sean at Pendle had a suitable donor car for sale in his offers section at the knockdown price of £10 so this was was obtained and all previous reference to Celtic Football Club removed!

The rear wing on both cars is modelled on the road car, so must be replaced for the racing versions. The racing wing is a two level effort with a central support pillar, which I scratchbuilt, partly from the original road car wing and the remainder from an old Airfix MGB Floor!......I told you I was cheap!.

Decals for these variants are few and far between, (where are you Iceman?), but Bruce at Patto's in good old Oz, has the Pilot version and you can adapt the Ferrari 333SP Totip decals to suit the White/Green/Orange model. The others I'm still looking to source.

A quick coat of French racing Blue, (Ummm it's a Lada colour!), apply the many many decals, Stick on the new wing assembly, paint the wheels and apply a couple of thin coats of Plasti-Kote Gloss sealer and it's done for around the £15 mark, (paint I already had).

This is the completed car, the wheels on the Scaley car are for the road version and I may purchase some larger diameter ones at a later date.

I've started work on the next one, the Totip car, based on an £8 Ebay Gulf car, so this one could be even cheaper!.

Kind Regards

Alan

·
Registered
759 Posts
Great work!
Do yo have more pics, I want more...

I like the cheap approach
. I too am a bit of a cheapskate, but it's part of the fun of scratchbuilding too.

I have a question about Pattos decals. Are yours also printed in very low resolution? I orderd two sets, one for a Ford F3L and one for the Ferrari P4, but I'm dissapointed with the resolution
. All the edges are staggerd, and the small ones are hard to read out, sort of just a blur. I wonder if this is normaly the case with his decals, or was I just unlucky?

Thanks for the link.

Toby

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Toby and John for your kind comments.

As regards Patto's decals, I agree the coloured decals do appear to have been printed in a lower resolution than they used to be. Most of the Pilot decals are white printed on a clear background and these seem fine. I just wonder if it anything to do with the new Decal process that Bruce has just introduced, i.e. the two part approach?. I'm afraid I've not yet tried these so I can't say if they work or not.

You can read all about them on Bruce's website.

Kind Regards

Alan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts