SlotForum banner

Ferrari F430 Modena

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  dannyboy 
#1 ·

The F430 signals the arrival of a brand new generation of Ferrari 8-cylinder models. This new car takes Ferrari's extraordinary achievements with aluminium technology, begun with the 360 Modena, to a whole new level, and offers a series of extremely significant innovations directly derived from the Ferrari Formula 1 single-seaters.

Two of these innovations are world firsts for production cars: the electronic differential (E-Diff) and the steering wheel-mounted switch (better known to the Formula 1 Scuderia's drivers as "manettino"), which manages the integrated systems governing vehicle dynamics.

The other main characteristics of the new F430 are its light, compact 4,300 cc 90° V8 engine, which punches out 490 hp to achieve a specific output of 114 hp/litre, also providing the new Ferrari berlinetta with a weight-to-power ratio of 2.8 kg/hp (dry weight); a braking system with carbon-ceramic discs for optimal efficiency under extreme use (optional); a Formula 1-derived gearbox that cuts gear shifting times down to 150 milliseconds allowing the driver to make the very most of this truly high performance car (0-62 mph acceleration in 4 seconds flat, a top speed in excess of 196 mph) and an aerodynamic design that embodies the very latest competition technologies, specifically the flat underbody and large rear diffuser to increase downforce.

The car will be officially presented during the Paris Motor show in September 2004.

F430 Technical Specifications

Dimensions
Overall length: 4512 mm 176.6 in
Overall width: 1923 mm 75.7 in
Height: 1214 mm 47.8 in
Wheelbase: 2600 mm 102.3 in
Front track: 1669 mm 65.7 in
Rear track: 1616 mm 63.6 in
Kerb weight: 1450 kg 3197 lb

Engine
Type: 90° V8
Bore/stroke: 92 mm x 81 mm 3.50 x 3.03 cu in
Unit displacement: 538.5 cc 32.86 cu in
Total displacement: 4,308 cc 262.89 cu in
Compression ratio: 11.3:1
Maximum power: 360.4 kW (490 CV*) at 8500 rpm
Maximum torque: 465 Nm (47.4 kgm or 343 lbft) at 5250 rpm

Performance
Maximum speed: >315 km/h > 196 mph
0-100 km/h (0-62 mph): 4.0 s

See less See more
#6 ·
Interesting difference of opinions once more

Well, here's my opinion. No thanks. The 550 looks far more pleasing to my eyes. Better still is the 288 GTO. Sometimes I much prefer "angles" in a car's shape rather than a jelly mould. Then again, a TVR Sagaris is rounded and I'd perfer the look of that to the 430
Dare I say it? Of course I dare the 430 seems to have more in common with a Porsche Boxster than a Ferrari.

Mark.

#9 ·
No idea on cost, but I bet the optional carbon-ceramic brakes will add a bit!! Mind you I'm not too sure about having those on a ROAD car. Don't the carbon type brakes take a while to heat up and begin to work? If so, there you are, just exiting the motorway, down the slip road at 120 mph (good brakes these Ferraris), not having used the brakes for the past 10 miles, and...kiss the brake pedal...... WTF?....stamp on brake pedal lots in blind terror to avoid arse end of HGV at end of slip road......

I would suggest that road car brakes need to have some initial bite i.e work from cold. No reason why the road brakes should fade though (Yet another debate started)

Mark.

#10 ·
When they released the Enzo with Carbon Ceramic brakes they made a big ass fuss about them being able to work from cold, unlike most race bred systems.

I presume that it's the same kit as the Enzo, or at least they same principles. So bite should be no problem, and as you say fade will definatly not be a problem.

But cost of the kit will be... I'll just have the standard set please.

Mclaren

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (McLaren @ 24 Aug 2004, 17:11)Hmm... looks like a 360 to me...
Is that so bad

The 430 is a mix of 360 and Enzo....How can somebody NOT like that?
I admit that it took me months to see how beautiful the Enzo really is, but it grows on you

It is (and got the shape of) THE supercar of all times
I´m just happy that Ferrari is back on (the right?) track! And I think that the 430 will prove just that (in good time). I didn´t like the 360 either when it first came out, but now I love it to pieces. Have you ever driven one? I have, and no car beats it! (Well, maybe the 430 will!)

Danny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.