SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having problems with this version of ferrite man. I have had 2 snap in an R8 & MP4. The ferrite block seems to be too ridgely held by the new binding.

·
Greg Gaub
14,982 Posts
Oh yeah. That happens all the time.
When you make the repair, do so with a short length of silicone lead wire so that the wire takes the flex rather than the ferrite man.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Hi

Mine broke in exactly the same place, but it looks like a foot has broken off as well. I cut the whole caboodle off a blown chip and just soldered the green & yellow wires. It was caused by the guide being jolted as it caught the plastic V on a crossover curve. I don't use them any more and the repair has held up.

Cheers
Chris

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
also make sure that when it is repaired that the wires from the pick up area have a nice smooth path when the guide blade is swivelled through it's axis..

Properly routed these should give minimal trouble...

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
A break that high up normally indicates that the wire has had excessive and repeated bending forces applied to it. I would suggest that it happened because the ferrite man is being restricted from it's normal movement. The usual fix is to add some short wires to the legs as can be seen in this photo.
View attachment 10040

The other area to watch out for are the feet. Solder on its own is not really strong enough to resist the strain generated by the guide in normal use. To get a better joint if you need to repair them is to make sure that they are crimped up tight before you apply solder to them.

To fix your problem, you will need a new capacitor about 10p from Maplins. They are marked 103 ...... last time I typed this I got the wrong units but it is 10,000 of them

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have also had this problem on a Super Resistant Audi R8 with very little use.

I extended the wires and hot glue gunned the ferrite man to the base of the car in front of the magnet. No troubles since.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks Guys for the responses. I thought I was on my own. Greg the excessive force had been applied during assembly, the guide plate slot and the foot had been forced in place. Once again many thanks everyone that has given me some ways forward. A final thought Ferrite an Mk1 was a lot easier to repair, I guess less wire is saving on production costs price current of metal & all !!!!

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
i have had one car wich was brought brand new last less than a dozen laps before the ferrite chap parted this world...

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
I've had a couple where the soldering was so bad I was glad that I was chipping the car and was able to remove it all before I started to use the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts