SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
David Farrow
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I am just fiddling around with some bits and bobs and I could do with some inlet trumpets. 1960 3litere and some for can am cars. Had a quick look on some websites but it all looks a bit daunting. Anyone know part numbers from previous experience.

Thanks

David F

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Dave
Do a search for "Bootlace Ferrules" and you come across uninsulated ferrules, these are ideal for what you want and they come in various sizes and don't cost the earth, or try your local electrical wholesaler he should stock the insulated type which only require the removal of the plastic insulator.
Good luck
[oneofwos]

·
David Farrow
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John

I hope I find you well

Living out in the sticks the best way to get some is ordering over the net and having found many on different sites there not too much to go on as to what they will look like, add to this they come in a pack of 100 and postage cost it gets a bit dear so I was hoping to do better than ordering half blind. I was hoping someone had done successfully before and would wish to shear there experience gained,

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
You can make them actually.

Here's how I make mine.

Cut the cotton wool off the end of a cotton bud so you are left with the plastic tube.

Get a drill larger than the tube.

By hand twist the drill taper in reverse down the end of the tube to "flare" the plastic.

Cut to length and paint.

Assemble into model!

I used this technique on the P34.

And no prizes for guessing how I made these!

Hope this post helped!

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Dave
Mine were lifted from the electricians at work who carry them round in there tool kit.
Take a look at the Rapid Electronics site as Mike mentioned, about a couple of quid x hundred and in all sizes so there must be one type that will do.
[oneofwos]

·
David Farrow
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Ian

No Prizes for guessing they are off a lead wire to the guide….but… In my collection I must have have 9 or 10 differing types and don't have 12 of any of them. Could you just please tell me where you got them and which ones they are.

If there is anyone that can just say where they successfully bought some and what part number they are I would appreciate it

Thanks

David Farrow

·
Registered
213 Posts
Dave, just phone AB Slotsport,he does 2 sizes, you want the little ,uns for 1/32 and 1/24 v12 1/24. the big ,uns for v8s in 1/24. they,re about 10p each and perfect for the job-I even steal them myself (thus also saving on post and packing aswell).

·
David Farrow
1,245 Posts
Hi Ralf

Good to hear from you and thanks for your coments.

I am putting together a Brm 158 and 160 and a couple of Ferrari 312 B2 as I may turn up at one of the Hart of England races, funds and time permitting. Then there the lotus 30, Mirage and Ferrari p4 for double trouble. So that 68 so far.. The Brm further up the post is spot on. I have ferrules from Slot It, NSR, some old SCX and some old bent Scalextric ones as well as lots I can't identify, I dont have 12 of any of them. Some would do the job most won't. If some one knows exactly what is on the Brm above the please do tell.Thats why I would like to source some and why I am asking if anyone would be kind enough to share there success if anyone has had any.

All the best

Df

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
QUOTE (loud bloke @ 23 Feb 2012, 02:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If there is anyone that can just say where they successfully bought some and what part number they are I would appreciate it

RS Components

The most useful sizes for your purposes are:
EN 1510 - wire size 1.5mm, flare dia. 2.4mm, barrel dia. 2mm
EN 2510 - wire size 2.5mm, flare dia. 3.1mm, barrel dia. 2.6mm

They are cheap enough but watch out for postage costs if you don't have an account with RS.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I just read a 1968 copy of Model Cars Magazine. Someone there mentioned using ferrules instead of small self tapping screws to securely connect motor can to endbell. Sounds interesting, if only I owned a single unflattened ferrule. Thanks for the info on this thread.

·
David Farrow
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks CMOTD

But they don't appear to be listed any more, all there is a list of sizes without any pictures. I can get to RS as it would easily be the closest electronic supplier to me. I when into the trade shop to get some transistors and the assistant would not move until I told him the part number. I asked him about furriers and he didn't know what they were, no use without a part number. .. Anyone else.
David Farrow

1 - 20 of 25 Posts