SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im looking to sleeve the motor shaft on a scalextric ff motor so i can fit a brass slot it pinion. ive tried AB slot but they dont have them any more, any ideas please.(i dont wanna run scaley plastic !) thanks, Graham

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Graham

Scale Auto do brass pinions for the FF motors with the 1.5mm shaft so you don't need to sleeve them. Pendle have them on their site reference SC1072 and 1073

David

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Mr SlotCar also makes brass pinions for 1.5mm armature shafts. They are metric 0.5M, so you can use them with Slot.it gears.

The pinions currently available are 6, 7 and 8 tooth (all 4.5mm dia) and 8, 9 and 10 tooth (all 5.5mm dia).

Pendle Slot Racing has them in stock as well.

With kind regards,

Russell

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Yes, I have them in 1.5mm, and 2mm, in 8,9, and 10t.

All in .5module, which, also mesh nice with most 48P gears.

Nice feature about mine, is, that, they are loose fit to be attached with Loctite (Red 262 works best), so, can be installed and removed (as many times as you like) without the need for Pullers or Pushers. And, also without the risk of damaging the smaller slimline motors when pressing on brass pinions which, is a definite possibility (ask me how I know).

·
re member
4,181 Posts
I know but I didn't ask you....I found out for myself.

I can recommend Al's pinions and loctite 262.

I've done the sleeve thing a few times and have an approximate success rate of 80%...munter is my name and I have munted a few motors this way.
It is handy having a dead motor or two to use in a scratch build chassis as a few scrapes, scratches and burns are not a problem.

Forget the sleeve and get the correct pinion with the right i.d.

Regards

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up,

the sleeves were always useful.

1. You could press pinion onto sleeve, interference fit, then solder the sleeve to the motor shaft. No solder in pinion teeth.

2. If building in-line with Slotit type contrates, the sleeve could be left proud of the pinion to locate in the gear groove.

Anyone know of an alternative source ??.

vbr Chris A.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Hi Eddie,

D'you know, I actually tried this at approx 12:30 today !!??.

I didn't realise I had any 2mm tube, I was actually doing something else and when I measured it I thought " hang on a minute " !!.

Thanks old chap, great minds think alike !!.

vbr Chris A.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow thanks for the help, thats given me lots of choices, ive got a slotit 27 tooth bronze boss crown gear already,i know this might seem naive but whats the difference in the 4.5 and 5.5 pinions and if i had a 11 tooth and a 8 tooth pinion obviously the diameter would be different so how could they both fit against say the 27 crown i have ?? its my first build and i have no experience of inline gear changes !!! (sorry for the daft questions !)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.