SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I had a chance to have a couple of proper race meetings on my full scale mock-up of the track I was planning on building I have learn't a few things about corner radius's and lane changer positioning and consequently decided to make a few changes and include a 3 lane section.

The problem is I am still torn between 2 different options
and I am interested to get feedback on what my fellow racers think about the 2 different options I am pondering over

I have started construction of the table in the garage already - actually it is 2 tables bolted together so that I can move the track easier when I move house in around 6 months and I will post some construction pictures tomorrow when I stand the tables upright for the first time

The preferred new layout.

A minor change to the preferred new layout with a slightly different chicane.

The current layout.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hate painting
I am sick and tired of it! I feel liek I am painting the harbour bridge

OK I have had my dummy spit and I am feeling better now!

I still have not righted the table because I am still painting the frame
and speaking of painting, best I get back to it. Pictures will follow soon I hope.......

@nrwatson, I used Track Power

@FZSemans, I do plan to landscape but I think a lot of my landscaping will be rock walls
!

@Nonmagnetix, I am quite partial to the current layout myself. It was what I originally intended to make permanent and the Corkscrew was something I deliberately added although I really wanted to race in the opposite direction so you could exit the Corkscrew flat out onto a straight but I just could not make the whole design work that way. What has convinced me to change is that I race without magnets and despite designing the track for non-magnet there are a couple of minor problems. The lane changer at the end of the straight is not so useful as the cars are going too fast so I have tightened up the following corner to make it slower. The exit from the single lane on the back straight is a bit tricky as it flicks the back of the car out and you lose time. There are a lot of deslots after the lane changer just before the main straight which I think are as a result of losing braking on the dead spot on the exit of the lane changer. Also I wanted a long 3 lane section of track!

·
Tore
1,861 Posts
I like #1 if you raise the back one level. Starting uphill from turn #2 through #4 then leveling out and going down again from the bridge.

But I will suggest one change. Straighten out the big S on the back, by giving turn #4 a bigger radius and try to get a long sweeping "straight" wich will give the track a challenging higspeed section, that forces the driver to progressivly add throttle instead of point and shoot. Something that seperates the good drivers from the bad :)

Here's a quick and dirty mockup:

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
I don't think the placement of the additional lane is ideal. A 3rd lane should be a passing lane, but doesn't seem to be a passing lane--i.e., it doesn't seem to me to be the fastest lane. Seems to me that after the initial R3, it's much slower and that the faster lines would be the other lanes. In other words, I don't think it would get used. But you should try it out and see if it makes any sense to use that 3rd lane as a passing lane. I could be wrong, but that's my sense in looking at it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (jmswms @ 5 Nov 2006, 13:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't think the placement of the additional lane is ideal. A 3rd lane should be a passing lane, but doesn't seem to be a passing lane--i.e., it doesn't seem to me to be the fastest lane. Seems to me that after the initial R3, it's much slower and that the faster lines would be the other lanes. In other words, I don't think it would get used. But you should try it out and see if it makes any sense to use that 3rd lane as a passing lane. I could be wrong, but that's my sense in looking at it.
I hear you. I have been agonising over this for the last month. The inside lane (3rd lane) is about 30cm shorter than the middle lane and 50cm shorter than the outside lane between the chicane and the last CLC but is it faster or slower? That is the question. To be honest I am relatively knew to this and I don't know the answer

In my current track the inside lane through the corkscrew is the fastest line but that is affected I think by the loss of time doing the lane change which unsettles the car to get to the outside lane.

I have 2 other options I have been considering. My theory is the slowest lane should be the one with no lane changes and the fastest with the most lane changes!

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Hey Greg

I tend to agree with Speedster.
If you are "up"
for a little elevation at both ends, how about:

I think this track would flow a little better, especially non-mag, and it looks more organic too.

There seems to be 2 threads, going about the same thing? In the other Donz asks about the position of the lapcounter v the pits. Is this an issue for you?
I take it the area above the pits is to be left clear for pit buildings?

If you want the TCP file, just PM your email to me.

Hey its, your track. And you will do what you want in the end.

Have fun with it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Zipp, yep ther are 2 threads going - I was going to try and keep this thread for track construction and ask the specific layout question in another thread.

The current track is actually elevated at both ends (not easy to see in the 1st picture) so yes I am up for some elevation - makes a track less boring IMHO.

I see what you are suggesting and yes that will definitely flow more. My testing though has taught me that you need at least a 1/2 straight (slow corners) or a standard straight (sweeping corners) before any lane changer if you race without magnets to get the cars straight before the sensor (I like to slide). I also have not convinced myself that cutting track in half to make single lanes is OK so I have been sticking to using standard track pieces
Love the sweeper onto the main straight - just don't think I have the table length for it

Yep, you are right about the pit buildings and I am going to use PC Lap Counter with a Pit Lane sensor so the pit lane location is OK.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Cutting track in half to make single lanes is very much OK, its the cheapest and only method of making R1, R3 & R4 single/third lane combs. It cuts so easy with a sharp blade. Best way i have found to join the 3rd lane to the other 2 lanes and have it stay level is glue it using evo stick contact or time bond. Either will work fine and you can get them apart with ease then just roll off the remaining glue with your fingers should you decide its not right. You can not even see where it was bonded so won't ruin any of your track.

Go for it.

One point.. 3 lane sections make your track take up more space than you imagine it will once bordered.

shaunbmx

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
There are a lot of right hand corners....

Can you work in some esses? Some left handed corners maybe?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Slots-O-Fun @ 6 Nov 2006, 12:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There are a lot of right hand corners....

Can you work in some esses? Some left handed corners maybe?
Damn you guys are perceptive....you have spotted a major flaw I just haven't been able to remove. Believe it or not but with the current layout the outside tyre wears heaps more than the inside - I have to swap them around in order to even out the tyre wear
I have just had a thought on something which I might try and see if I can even things up

Anyway I have finally finished paining the frame and the 2 tables are upright and bolted together.

Now I can get back to playing with power tools again
much more fun!

Unfortunately during the construction I have discovered that I am aflicted with the same disease that dogged my grandfather.......the ability to massivly over engineer something

·
Registered
557 Posts
A quick update. A monumental step (for me anyway) - the top is on the table so you might say I now have a canvas to work with.

I hope to do some testing of partial layouts tomorrow without elevations to check how fast various lanes are through the 3 lane section - this is till bugging me.

A special thanks to Zipp for the effort he has put into suggesting alternate layouts

Unfortunately I am away working for 3 weeks so I am going to use that time to ponder Zipp and everyone else's suggestions along with feedback from my testing tomorrow so that when I return I will be inspired to finish the track!

Might have to rename the track though - something like Green Valley Raceway or Kermit Springs Raceway seems more appropriate
. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (marcellus @ 10 Nov 2006, 20:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Put a net in the middle and you have tabletennis.

So how about ping pong race way

Greetz Marcellus
Time for an update, I have finally had a chance to start working on the track again and hope to make some real progress in the next few days.

Still need a name, but definitely not going to be Ping Pong Raceway
Sorry Marcellous.

I have done some trials on the 3 lane section and the layout I have decided on is mocked up below without the elevations and some of the borders. I have done my best to make the 3rd lane the fastest by including the banked curve and narrow borders through the esses which you can "lean on" for extra speed. It is quite frightening how fast you can go through the banked curve. I have this vision of launching a Slot IT into orbit

Time to start on the elevations and flyover - I have been putting it off for long enough!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (sax0607 @ 27 Dec 2006, 21:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>GregR
track is looking good , any estimate on lane length ?
can't wait to have a run one day , any problems with any cars on the banked section ?
sax
The shortest possible lap length is 21.14m and the longest is 22.28m according to Track Power and I believe it as all of the track pieces have joined exactly as predicted.

No problems with the banked curves yet - I have run Slot IT Porsches & Jaguars and Scaley JGTC, Aston Martin & Boxter without magnets and all go OK as does a Scaley F1 with magnets. I have not tried anything else yet. The banking is th newer 10 degree banking - I think most people have problems with the older banking which is 15 degrees I think.

My greatest concern about the banking is how fast you can go

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
That green seems a wee bit bright to my eye, but it´s all down to personal tastes, eh? I would put some lighter tones on it ..

The track is slightly different in photos as in the layout plan? The first LC makes more sence going infields, I think, thus a somewhat shorter lane? And in theory, a three-lane strech with some esses and bends ought to make racing much more interesting and "tight" than just some LXC in a two-lane track. Does it also work that way IRL?

But how´s about -- Greenfields Raceway? -- Wallaby Forrest Raceway? [they chopped down the forrest and made a track there] -- the Boomerang Fields?

There´s loads of real racetracks to choose from Right Here >>

.. cheers ..

-( R )-

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.