SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its been emotional but after five books in six years and 12 books in 17 years, its time to take a pause on spending my spare time wittering on about old cars and drivers - in book form at least.

The Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 will be the last motor sport book from Haynes, which is quite a burden to carry around the place! Its been a lovely thing to put together, though, and as with all of them its got some stuff Id never heard before from the people who made it happen.

Also a dedicated section to slot rally competition thanks to Phil B. Rather mortifyingly Phil F gets the pic credit as I wrote the caption in a rush and the final proof was never done because of Covid.

Anyway, here are a few sample bits:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Book Publication Vehicle Car Font

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Publication

Apparently the ones that are out of print are now quite often found in The Works. The full list of Manuals that Ive done is:

Ferrari 312T 1975-80
Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5 1916 onwards
Porsche 956/962 1982 onwards
Audi Quattro Rally Car 1980-87
Peugeot 205 T16 group B 1983-86

Organism Font Art Symbol Collectable

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Can we (sadly) conclude that motoring books are finally finished? Gone for good?
I think they are just becoming more niche. I've purchased at least 6 good titles this year, all on touring or GT cars from the 70s to 90s. not cheap, but excellent works of print.

That Peugeot book looks nice Nick, good luck in whatever you are working on next.

Simon

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can we (sadly) conclude that motoring books are finally finished? Gone for good?
The only publishing model that appears to be working for anyone is the 'car biography' - inasmuch as vanity projects for owners.

If you have a car which might be Goodwood eligible or which might be worth a million or two more than a standard example then it is well worth the money for an owner to commission an author to tell its story from first assembly through to the present day. There's one publisher who now almost exclusively produces such books, together with drivers' scrapbooks.

I've had a vague enquiry about a particular Quattro over which there is some dispute, but nobody who is involved has got that sort of dosh!

But, yes, the general motoring book and certainly the motor sport histories, are now, well, history.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
That Peugeot book looks nice Nick, good luck in whatever you are working on next.

Simon
Thanks, Simon. The Pug book was done quite a while ago now, it's just been stop-start for numerous reasons, Covid being the latest and most troublesome. I've been covering the WRC for Autosport this year, although I was only able to treat Mexico as a paid job and to travel to the event etc. We're trying to expand that somewhat in 2021 with a podcast and hopefully more events to talk about. The 70th anniversary 'bookazine' was a lovely thing to have worked on, though, as I've still got my 50th and 60th anniversary ones. They always come up with something special, and I hope my two bits - a long piece with M. Loeb as the GOAT in rallying and a long one of the Quattro as the greatest rally car of the last 70 years (as voted by the readers and staff) - which should entertain!

I'm part-way through an Integrale manual that Haynes wanted as well. I might see if anyone's interested but I doubt it.

Sales figures show now that anything pre-1979 is now pretty much unpublishable on a commercial basis. I've got several things I'd like to do but when you look at how poorly they perform you have to conclude that most potential buyers are either on a pension and can't splash out or already have umpteen shelves and don't want to add any more.

·
Registered
9,500 Posts
Driver and Simon

Thank you both for your views. The general demise of motoring, and motor sport, books has happened later than I thought during the 1990s. Didn't originally imagine they'd get beyond 2000, so it's good to note they've come this far.

Old fuddy-duddies like me continue to take delight in motoring books on a daily basis, but for most folk, the Internet seems to rule all, which, I suppose, is inevitable.

At some time in the future there will probably be a revival - a rejuvenation - but I suspect it will be brief. Fashion is fickle, and I like neither.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts